It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2003, 06:23 PM   #1

justgina HB User
Post HELP-My incision site is itching like crazy !

it started bothering me yesterday and its just getting worse! i had my TT on 9/19 and the site has been healing nicely. i did notice it seemed a little worse after my RAI. maybe because i had a little swelling in the area? but now its just very very itchy! ive been using mederma, vit E oil and cocoa butter on it but thats it.

has anybody had this problem? should i be worried? my stiches were suppose to be the ones that dissolve on their own so i didnt think that would be the problem. thanks

gina

Old 10-26-2003, 07:23 PM   #2

butterfly092303 HB User
Hey justgina,I've got the same problem (surgery on 9/23)How long is the incision? my goes from ear to ear about 5 1/2-6 inches long,and very itchy,note that I did not have RAI,doctor felt that I did not need it,I've tried every thing as you noted and is the area under your chin and sides of your neck numb?

**But back to the subject,I question the dr on friday and he said it was a normal process,Just going through the normal healing.He told me not to worry unless I noticed a small bubble on the incision (infection or a process called spitting a stiche) This is the body's way of ridding a foriegn object..Hope this helps..

sorry to be so long winded but I have sooooo many questions and we went through the surgery close to the same time..

------------------
follicular cancer surgery 9/23/03
synthyroid started 10/25

[This message has been edited by butterfly092303 (edited 10-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by butterfly092303 (edited 10-26-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Gina,
My thyroidectomy scar was itchy every now and then for a couple months after my surgery. The healing process can cause it to feel itchy. I used vitamin E cream and that seemed to help.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it doesn't look infected and is healing nicely.
Take care~
Hilery

Old 10-27-2003, 06:40 AM   #4

justgina HB User
thanks ladies!

butterfly,

my incision is only a few inches long. its down low on my neck like closer by my chest. my surgeon also made it in my natural neck line so it would be less visible when it healed. thanks for the info. your call to your doc saved me a call to mine.

hil,

thanks, i feel much better knowing this is a normal process. i was afraid maybe it was becoming infected or something.

gina

Old 10-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

brookeysma HB User
I had my thyroidectomy in July and the itchiness is a totally normal thing. Mine still itches off and on (not quite as bad). Nothing to worry about..it will subside in time. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-27-2003, 09:45 AM   #6

suskey HB User
I had my surgery on 9/26. My incision is around 5 inches..its on a natural creaseline, so eventually it should be OK. Right now it is still swollen above the incision line and the incision itself is still red.

How long til this completely heals and the swelling goes down?

I am only wearing clothes that cover it..it is still too ugly to unveil !

Susan

Old 10-27-2003, 10:21 AM   #7

cuello HB User
Had my TT on 9/5. My scar is about 2 1/2inches. I had some minor itching last week but I was also wearing a wool turtleneck (not sure what I was thinking when I put that on!)

I've otherwise left it out in the open. I'm not terribly bothered by it.

I did just order some Mederma though (can't hurt I guess). Anyone have positive results using it?

Old 10-27-2003, 12:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
hey everyone, I had my lobectomy on 8/05...my incision was numb- due to the fact that I had a throat infection which swelled my glands up to their full I extent (I had no freaking jawline at that point!!) and it was infected at the same time. Mine was very itchy as well, but it was from the medical tape and bandages we had to use to keep the ooze from oozing (they called it my 'necktar' ha ha) and everytime I did take it off- since I was allergic to the adhesive- it would itch like hell. I would scratch till my neck was raw around it, and it took about 6 weeks for it to go away. It's mostly gone now, but I can't wear necklaces at all. I make and sell necklaces and I can't wear them!! AGHHH!!! I tried to wear one the other day, and I went crazy nutso. I still don't wear shirts that cover it up, as the feeling of things on that part of my neck drives me...anyway, all are well and I am waiting until spring to get the other side out due to it being cancerous. But at least this time it won't be plus a million out without air conditioning!

Old 10-27-2003, 05:59 PM   #9

KazKan HB User
My surgery was on 9-25-03. I had one spot about an inch long in my incision that looked different than the rest. It was puffy, red and itchy and I could start to see stitches!! I went last fri to see Dr., he removed 4 that had come to the surface. The itching stopped right away and it has healed to a very unnoticable line,low by chest. He told me that sometimes you will have a stitch or two that take a long time to dissolve. One that he removed from me was an inch long and not dissolved at all. Itching is also a natural part of the healing process. Vitamin A or E lotion will help. Has anyone ever used that mederma I believe it is specifically for scars?? Let me know if it works. KK

Old 10-28-2003, 06:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Has anyone else lost feeling in the area of your incision?
I have a lot of scar tissue in the area just above my incision and the whole area is completly numb up to about an inch above my incision.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:00 AM   #11

justgina HB User
hil,

mine is totally numb. they said this could be like this for years. i had an abdominal surgery back in 1993 and i swear my incision site was numb for 10 years. the feeling is just now coming back.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Had my TT on 4/15, my scar is still quite red. It starts to itch really bad if I've been out in the sun. Be aware that mederma can cause itching. I used it for about three months, noticed a big difference in the appearance of the scar at first, then nothing but itching. As soon as I stopped using it the itching dramatically decreased.
My husband bought me a necklace the other day out of the blue, he thought it would cover my scar. I guess it bothers him more than me, which is strange because he is not a superficial person. Anyway my neck is too big for it so it is now a bracelet. Guess he'll have to get something else for me now!!!
Yeah right.

Nodi

Old 10-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #13

thyroidallgone HB User
Hello
I had my TT on may 6th i still have itching evey once in awhile I used vitamin E right out of the capsules it really helped i also had a loose stitch that the doctor removed my scar isnt that noticable its just a line n****hope that helped
chris

Closed Thread