It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2000, 07:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Post Thyroid Symptom List and Other Information

Hi everyone,
I am starting this thread to post some information that may be helpful to you.
TF

Last edited by Administrator; 09-27-2012 at 10:02 AM.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tree Frog For This Useful Post:
clare1982 (06-07-2012), CorralesNM (11-09-2011), keelywinn (07-10-2012), micknjudy (05-13-2012), Moob (04-23-2011), R3cook (05-16-2012), squirrellyq (02-10-2012), tinytina1972 (01-29-2012), Worried47 (04-20-2012)
Old 11-10-2000, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
HMO rules your
doctor won't discuss
Plans include pressure tactics,
incentives for providing less care

By Jon E. Dougherty [url="http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15556"]http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15556[/url]

This link was not working because the article had been moved and archived.
This is the correct link, above.

[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 07-10-2001).]

The Following User Says Thank You to Tree Frog For This Useful Post:
Stan43 (03-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2001, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can use this checklist to bring to your doctor to help aid in getting a proper diagnosis of hypothyroidism, or as background information in your discussions regarding finetuning your dosage so you are at the optimal TSH level for your own level of wellness.

My risk factors for hypothyroidism include:

[ ] I have a family history of thyroid disease
[ ] I have had my thyroid "monitored" in the past to watch for changes
[ ] I had a previous diagnosis of goiters/nodules
[ ] I currently have a goiter
[ ] I was treated for hypothyroidism in the past
[ ] I had post-partum thyroiditis in the past
[ ] I had a temporary thyroiditis in the past
[ ] I have another autoimmune disease
[ ] I have had a baby in the past nine months
[ ] I have a history of miscarriage
[ ] I have had part/all of my thyroid removed due to cancer
[ ] I have had part/all of my thyroid removed due to nodules
[ ] I have had part/all of my thyroid removed due to Graves' Disease/hyperthyroidism
[ ] I have had radioactive iodine due to Graves' Disease/hyperthyroidism
[ ] I have had anti-thyroid drugs due to Graves' Disease/hyperthyroidism

I have the following symptoms of hypothyroidism, as detailed by the Merck Manual, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and the Thyroid Foundation of America

[ ] I am gaining weight inappropriately
[ ] I'm unable to lose weight with diet/exercise
[ ] I am constipated, sometimes severely
[ ] I have hypothermia/low body temperature (I feel cold when others feel hot, I need extra sweaters, etc.)
[ ] I feel fatigued, exhausted
[ ] Feeling run down, sluggish, lethargic
[ ] My hair is coarse and dry, breaking, brittle, falling out
[ ] My skin is coarse, dry, scaly, and thick
[ ] I have a hoarse or gravely voice
[ ] I have puffiness and swelling around the eyes and face
[ ] I have pains, aches in joints, hands and feet
[ ] I have developed carpal-tunnel syndrome, or it's getting worse
[ ] I am having irregular menstrual cycles (longer, or heavier, or more frequent)
[ ] I am having trouble conceiving a baby
[ ] I feel depressed
[ ] I feel restless
[ ] My moods change easily
[ ] I have feelings of worthlessness
[ ] I have difficulty concentrating
[ ] I have more feelings of sadness
[ ] I seem to be losing interest in normal daily activities
[ ] I'm more forgetful lately

I also have the following additional symptoms, which have been reported more frequently in people with hypothyroidism:

[ ] My hair is falling out
[ ] I can't seem to remember things
[ ] I have no sex drive
[ ] I am getting more frequent infections, that last longer
[ ] I'm snoring more lately
[ ] I have/may have sleep apnea
[ ] I feel shortness of breath and tightness in the chest
[ ] I feel the need to yawn to get oxygen
[ ] My eyes feel gritty and dry
[ ] My eyes feel sensitive to light
[ ] My eyes get jumpy/tics in eyes, which makes me dizzy/vertigo and have headaches
[ ] I have strange feelings in neck or throat
[ ] I have tinnitus (ringing in ears)
[ ] I get recurrent sinus infections
[ ] I have vertigo
[ ] I feel some lightheadedness
[ ] I have severe menstrual cramps

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Tree Frog
myrtle2 (08-17-2011), Praise 3 (12-28-2010)
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Tree Frog For This Useful Post:
AlleyCat76 (05-07-2011), Augustusine (01-28-2012), babs1944 (05-13-2011), blessednana (10-15-2011), ceirys (01-07-2011), clare1982 (08-03-2011), CorralesNM (11-09-2011), Kate771 (07-12-2012), kunibob (02-06-2012), lulu511 (12-27-2011), Minarda (07-09-2012), myrtle2 (08-17-2011), Praise 3 (12-28-2010), SanBV (12-01-2011), sharonlacouture (06-26-2012), Sickntired77 (10-07-2012), sierrajuliet (02-17-2012), this1 (09-25-2012), TigerPaw2011 (01-11-2012), Used to be cold (01-19-2012), xquid (05-23-2012)
Old 02-20-2001, 06:16 AM   #4

LORI-LYNN HB User
Cool

wow thanks treefrog for this wonderful site it is so nice to see that someone is kind to pass on this information to others you are a very nice person , i have learned alot from you by reading alot of your posts you have answered or tryed to help so many people with the knowledge you have gained , its people like you the world needs more of i thank you and commend you for taking the time to share with others you truly are a kind person , thanks again treefrog. SINCERELY, LORI

The following user gives a hug of support to LORI-LYNN:
naturopathsydne (02-03-2011)
Old 03-25-2001, 07:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Tree Frog, thanks, what a great idea this thread was!

Here's a site that I like a lot...it's a online book on thyroid disease that addresses the spectrum from Hashi's to Graves and everything inbetween.
[url="http://www.thyroidmanager.org"]http://www.thyroidmanager.org[/url]

------------------
Some days you're the dog...some days you're the hydrant!
(dx Graves 4/99, treatment w/Tapazole and Atenolol)

Old 05-06-2001, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thumbs up

Common symptoms and signs of hyperthyroidism:

Palpitations
Heat intolerance
Nervousness
Insomnia
Breathlessness
Increased bowel movements
Light or absent menstrual periods
Fatigue
Fast heart rate
Trembling hands
Weight loss
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 08-14-2001).]

The Following User Says Thank You to Tree Frog For This Useful Post:
Lisalong (08-19-2012)
Old 05-29-2001, 02:11 PM   #7
Inactive

Lori HB User
Lightbulb

Here is a very informative, easy-to-understand site: [url="http://www.the-thyroid-society.org/faq/"]http://www.the-thyroid-society.org/faq/[/url]
Take care,
Lori

Old 07-16-2001, 05:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thumbs up

Thyroid med doseage equivalencies, copied from a post by clsblack:

Got this chart from Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc (makers of Thyrolar) thought it might be of some use to someone else:

Forest says these are APPROXIMATE EQUIVALENT STRENGTHS AND THAT THYROID DOSING IS HIGHLY PATIENT SPECIFIC AND MUST ALWAYS BE INDIVIDUALIZED TO ACHIEVE MAXIMUM BENEFIT AND OPTIMAL PATIENT HEALTH.

that said-here's what the chart says:

Armour - Thyrolar - Cytomel - Levothyroxine

1/4gr - 1/4 - 6.25mcg - .025mg

1/2gr - 1/2 - 12.5mcg - .05mg

1 gr - 1 - 25 mcg - .1mg

1 1/2gr - 1 1/2 - 37.5mcg- .15mg

2 gr - 2 - 50mcg - .2mg

3 gr - 3 - 75mcg - .3mg

sorry it's not easier to read. did the best i could!!

Old 07-23-2001, 11:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am adding this to the information archive, simply as an example of possible supplements for proper thyroid med use.

Here is what I personally take, according to my research and what I believe I personally need to supplement my diet according to how I eat:
I suggest that you look up each of these supplements to understand what they do for the body.

The vitamins that are needed for assimilating and converting thyroid med that I take daily are:

A-8000mg
(with D)

Selenium-200mg
(The Thyroid Solution says at least 50mg)

B-100 complex
C-250mg
E-400mg
I also take 4mg of copper and 50mg of zinc as I just got a med dose raise, and those minerals help keep the heartrate calm and even.

I take my thyroid med with water on an empty stomach, when I get up in the morning.
One hour later, I take the supplements.

I take my female hormones in the evening.

Old 07-26-2001, 12:11 PM   #10
Inactive

Lori HB User
Exclamation

[url="http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/topic446.htm"]http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/topic446.htm[/url] Basics on Thyroid Disease.
Take care
Lori

------------------
I wish to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Old 07-28-2001, 11:31 AM   #11
Inactive

Lori HB User
Smile

Here is the information I have on Thryoiditis. I hope it helps

Thyroiditis
Thyroiditis, an inflammation of the thyroid gland, produces transient hyperthyroidism often followed by transient hypothyroidism or no change in thyroid function at all.

The three types of thyroiditis are Hashimoto's thyroiditis, subacute granulomatous thyroiditis, and silent lymphocytic thyroiditis.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Hashimoto's thyroiditis (autoimmune thyroiditis) is the most common type of thyroiditis and the most common cause of hypothyroidism. For unknown reasons, the body turns against itself in an autoimmune reaction, creating antibodies that attack the thyroid gland. (see page 816 in Chapter 168, Immunodeficiency Disorders) This type of thyroiditis is most common in elderly women and tends to run in families. The condition occurs eight times more often in women than in men and may occur in people with certain chromosomal abnormalities, including Turner's, Down, and Klinefelter's syndromes.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis often begins with a painless enlargement of the thyroid gland or a feeling of fullness in the neck. When doctors feel the gland, they usually find it enlarged, with a rubbery texture, but not tender; sometimes it feels lumpy. The thyroid gland is underactive in about 20 percent of the people when Hashimoto's thyroiditis is discovered; the rest have normal thyroid function. Many people with Hashimoto's thyroiditis have other endocrine disorders such as diabetes, an underactive adrenal gland, or underactive parathyroid glands, and other autoimmune diseases such as pernicious anemia, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren's syndrome, or systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus).

Doctors perform thyroid function tests on blood samples to determine whether the gland is functioning normally, but they base the diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis on the symptoms, a physical examination, and whether the person has antibodies that attack the gland (antithyroid antibodies), which can easily be measured in a blood test.

No specific treatment is available for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Most people eventually develop hypothyroidism and must take thyroid hormone replacement therapy for the rest of their lives. Thyroid hormone may also be useful in decreasing the enlarged thyroid gland.

Subacute Granulomatous Thyroiditis
Subacute granulomatous (giant cell) thyroiditis, which is probably caused by a virus, begins much more suddenly than Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Subacute granulomatous thyroiditis often follows a viral illness and begins with what many people call a sore throat but actually proves to be neck pain localized to the thyroid. The thyroid gland becomes increasingly tender, and the person usually develops a low-grade fever (99° F. to 101° F.). The pain may shift from one side of the neck to the other, spread to the jaw and ears, and hurt more when the head is turned or when the person swallows. Subacute granulomatous thyroiditis is often mistaken at first for a dental problem or a throat or ear infection.

Inflammation usually causes the thyroid gland to release excessive thyroid hormones, resulting in hyperthyroidism, almost always followed by transient hypothyroidism. Many people with subacute granulomatous thyroiditis feel extremely tired.

Most people recover completely from this type of thyroiditis. Generally the condition goes away by itself within a few months, but sometimes it comes back or, more rarely, damages enough of the thyroid gland to cause permanent hypothyroidism.

Aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen) can relieve the pain and inflammation. In very severe cases, doctors may recommend corticosteroids such as prednisone, which should be tapered off over 6 to 8 weeks. When corticosteroids are stopped abruptly, symptoms often return in full force.

Silent Lymphocytic Thyroiditis
Silent lymphocytic thyroiditis occurs most often in women, typically just after childbirth, and causes the thyroid to become enlarged without becoming tender. For several weeks to several months, a person with silent lymphocytic thyroiditis has hyperthyroidism followed by hypothyroidism before eventually recovering normal thyroid function. This condition requires no specific treatment, although the hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism may require treatment for a few weeks. Often, a beta-blocker such as propranolol is the only drug needed to control the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. During the period of hypothyroidism, a person may need to take thyroid hormone, usually for no more than a few months. Hypothyroidism becomes permanent in about 10 percent of the people with silent lymphocytic thyroiditis.

Take care
Lori

------------------
I wish to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Old 09-10-2001, 09:22 AM   #12

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Post-Surgery Homeopathy (for Pain & Nausea)

My homeopath gave the following recommendation for post-surgery trauma. You can find homeopathic remedies in natural food stores, but I recommend retaining the advice of a known practitioner prior to use.

To take a homeopathic remedy, tap one sugar pill into the cap of the vial, but DO NOT TOUCH THE PILL. Tap the cap to release the pill under your tongue and let it dissolve completely. Do not eat or drink anything 10 minutes before a dose and 20 minutes after the pill dissolves. You increase the dosage by taking pills more frequently, NOT by taking more pills. It is also recommended that you avoid mint and its relatives (camphor, menthol, tea tree oil) during homeopathic treatment. Fennel toothpaste is useful for this.

Pain and Bruising

Arnica Montana, 200c was recommended to aid the healing process. My homeopath says that Arnica is relatively benign, has no side effects, and cannot be overdosed.

The best case is to begin the Arnica before the surgery: Take one pellet three times a day, the day before the surgery.

For post-surgical trauma, I was told to take one pellet as soon as possible following surgery, followed by one pill every 15 minutes if pain is severe for up to 1 hour. Then take 1 pellet every 1-3 hours. The next day, taper off (as needed) but continue one pellet, three times a day for a week or more after the surgery.

This should help you with the pain, swelling, and any potential bruising.

Nausea (due to anesthesia)

Phosphorus, 30c was recommended.
Take one pellet as needed, up to every 15 minutes for the first hour. Then taper off. I found I needed three doses in the first hour, then two more doses (one in each of the next two hours) as the anesthesia left my body.

Too much Phosphorus can make you constipated (as can the anesthesia), so use sparingly as needed.

[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 02-06-2002).]

Old 09-25-2001, 07:08 PM   #13

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
As per Treefrog in the 8/2/01 Thread "What Does Everyone Eat"

In the August 7th, Woman's World magazine, found in virtually every grocery store where magazines are sold, on pages 14-16, they have some great exercises that really works the inner middle body muscles like a girdle.

They were developed by an exercise physiologist,Teresa Tapp. Get that magazine, if interested. It has all the info you really need.

I did these exercises just two days and can feel the mucles tightening around my middle already. The exercises are really easy and don't hurt bad joints, such as I have.

I am really excited, because this routine really works up a sweat in 20-30 minutes and is incredibly easy.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 09-26-2001).]

Old 10-16-2001, 01:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Foods that can can affect your thyroid negatively:

I put together a fairly complete list of goitrogens some time ago. Here's what I came up with, but I am sure tyhere are othere things that can and will be added over time.

Avoid unless cooked thouroughly:

* African cassava
* Asparagus
* babassu (a palm-tree coconut fruit popular in Brazil and Africa)
* Broccoli
* brussels sprouts
* Cabbage
* Cauliflower
* horseradish
* kale
* kohlrabi
* leafy green vegetables (turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens)
* Legumes (beans and peas)
* peanuts
* pine nuts
* Processed meats
* radishes
* rutabaga
* Spinach
* turnips
* Watercress

Avoid entirely:

* Soy in any form that isn't fermented
* millet (actually WORSE when cooked)
* Rapeseed, canola, flax, soybean, safflower, corn and other polyunsaturated fats/oils

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

The Following User Says Thank You to Meep For This Useful Post:
miyushira (01-08-2012)
Old 11-02-2001, 04:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Questions to ask a potential doctor:

A friend posted this fantastic list of questions that she composed to another message board. I asked her if I could post it here, and this is her gracious response: "You can use it as much as you want. Power to the patient! ... 'Nette"

Here's the list:

a. What is your approach to treating hypo?

Desired answer: treatment is based on a combination of symptoms and lab tests. (What lab tests? TSH, antibodies (once is usually enough), free or total T3 and free T4 are good places to start).

b. What medications do you use in treatment of hypo?

Desired answer: whatever if takes. Some of those available are Synthroid, Thyrolar, Cytomel and natural meds like Armour.

Wrong answer: Synthroid only.

c. If I don't feel well when my labs are within the normal ranges, what do you do?

Desired answers: the normal ranges are just guidance, and there is often lots of room to play within the normal ranges. If that doesn't work, we have to consider things in addition to the thyroid for contributing to symptoms.

Wrong answer: If normal ranges don't make you feel well, it is all in your head.

d. What is your response to me asking about different approaches that I've read about on the internet or in books?

Desired answer: There is a lot of great info on the internet and books and some lousy info so one has to be selective. Don't hesitate to share the things you've learned about and we can discuss them in context to your treatment. I always enjoy getting new articles from professional publications about evolving methods.

Wrong answer: stay away from the internet, there is only rubbish out there.

e. How long does it take for me to get well, or at least see some improvement?

Desired answer: It is a slow process because your body has a lot of healing to do plus it takes a well to optimize your meds for your body. However, you should have made a lot of improvement in four to six months.

Wrong answer: 2 weeks or "never".

f. How often to you do tests and see me while we are in the optimization process? (Right answer is about every six weeks to 2 months).

Wrong answer: once a year.

g. Once I'm stable, how often do you monitor.

Good answer: every 4 to six months for a couple of years. If you are absolutely stable then once a year should be enough unless you are starting to show symptoms again, then you should call me.

Wrong answer: once a year no matter what.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread