It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2003, 02:54 PM   #1

pamelaAM HB User
Question Iodine free diet questions

I guess I will have to be going on an iodine free diet in preparation for the iodine radiation since my 2.7 centimeter tumor was determined to be papillary cancer.

I am going in for a consultation with the nuclear medicine folks tomorrow morning.

Any tips for the diet? How long were any of you required to be on it? Any good recipes?

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-29-2003, 06:31 PM   #2

cuello HB User
hi, I go in for RAI tomorrow. Were you told that you will definitely have to follow a low iodine diet? I was only told not to eat kelp by the radiologist and my endo said no added salt but no restrictions beyond that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2003, 07:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Hi,
My Dr. also said that the low iodine diet wasn't necessary, but I did it anyway. The idea of this diet is to deplete any remaining thyroid tissue of iodine so that when you have RAI, the remaining cells will "suck it up". There is a lot of info about the diet and a LID cookbook on the Thyca web site. I found a few recipe's that I really liked. There was one called "wacky cake" that even my kids liked.
They recommend you follow it for 2 weeks before your treatment. I ended up having my treatment earlier than I expected, so I was only on it for 10 days. It was hard to stick to, but I made it.

Good luck!
hilery

Old 10-29-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
cuello,
Good luck tomorrow! Don't forget to take a lot of sour candy to suck on.
hilery

Old 10-29-2003, 07:30 PM   #5

cuello HB User
thanks Hilery! I bought some of those super sour Altoids. Hopefully those will do the trick

Old 10-30-2003, 06:04 AM   #6
(female)

stardust39 HB User

Low-Iodine Diet: Preparing for Scans

Before undergoing radioactive scanning, your doctor may ask that you follow a low-iodine diet a week or two in advance. Your doctor may have a specific diet or timeline for you to follow. If not, these tips may help you stay on the right track. Of course, as with other aspects of your therapy, it's important to talk with your doctor about diet changes and other test preparation.

Some foods that contain iodine that you'll probably want to avoid are listed below:

Iodized salt, sea salt, and salty foods. Because it's hard to know which restaurants use iodized salt, you might want to avoid eating out during this time
All dairy products (milk, sour cream, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream)
Margarine
Egg yolks
Seafood (fish, shellfish, seaweed, kelp)
Foods that contain carrageen, agar-agar, algin, or alginate - all of these are made from seaweed
Many prepared and/or cured meats (ham, bacon, sausage, corned beef, etc)
Fresh chicken or turkey with broth or additives injected
Dried fruit
Canned vegetables
Commercial bakery products
Chocolate
Molasses
Soy products (soy sauce, soy milk, tofu)
Any vitamins or supplements that contain iodine
FD&C red dye #3 - this appears in many foods or pills that are red or brown, including colas

Closed Thread