It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Question Blurred vision-is this a symptom of hypo???

I've been having blurred vision for some time. I know I need glasses. But today, especially the last few hours, my vision is extremely blurred to the point that I'm having a hard time typing this and actually seeing what I'm typing. It's never been this bad before. I've also been experiencing heart flutters the last week or so. I skipped my levothyroxine yesterday because the fluttery heart started to scare me it was happening so often. I know it's nothing to get freaked out over. Am I making any sense? My mind keeps jumping from one thing to another. I can't even think straight. And I'm getting a bit dizzy with movement now. This hasn't happened before.
So sorry to be dragging you guys down. I just can't talk to my dh about how I'm feeling. You all know how that goes. Plus I don't want to be one of those people who just complain about every little thing. Now I feel like my #'s are all over the place. I'm getting these weird feelings in my left foot when I step down on it. So wierd I don't even know how to describe it. Oh well.......just a day in the life of a hypo chick.....
Barb

Old 11-13-2003, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmom
[Bosmom]I've been having blurred vision for some time. I know I need glasses. But today, especially the last few hours, my vision is extremely blurred to the point that I'm having a hard time typing this and actually seeing what I'm typing. It's never been this bad before. I've also been experiencing heart flutters the last week or so. I skipped my levothyroxine yesterday because the fluttery heart started to scare me it was happening so often. I know it's nothing to get freaked out over. Am I making any sense? My mind keeps jumping from one thing to another. I can't even think straight. And I'm getting a bit dizzy with movement now. This hasn't happened before.
So sorry to be dragging you guys down. I just can't talk to my dh about how I'm feeling. You all know how that goes. Plus I don't want to be one of those people who just complain about every little thing. Now I feel like my #'s are all over the place. I'm getting these weird feelings in my left foot when I step down on it. So wierd I don't even know how to describe it. Oh well.......just a day in the life of a hypo chick.....
Barb
Hey Barb,

You're not dragging us down! We all have felt like you are feeling, more than a few times!
And I know what you mean about not being able to talk to your dh, I have that little problem too. Oh, I talk to him about it alright. Poor guy is so tired of hearing about my little thyroid , but when you feel so lousy, you don't feel like talking about much else, you know?
And you are making sense...only we that have gone through this now, would understand these strange things you're talking about.
Yes, I went through the blurriness, while I was sitting here at the computer, even tho I had my reading glasses on too. I had that a lot in the beginning. I remember I would go outside and look across the street, (before my dx and for a couple of months after treatment) and everything would look blurry. I wouldn't even tell my dh that one, as I thought he was probably thinking I'm the biggest hypochondriac, nut case, etc. Didn't even tell my best friend, it was getting too embarrassing!
And believe it or not, I swear to you, when I first started meds, I had that foot pain you're talking about, (in one foot only), that hurt only when I stepped down on it. And it's just like you said, I wanted to post a mess. about it, but didn't know how to describe it! But everytime I read of someone on this list describing one of my symptoms to a T, I always feel so validated!
If it wasn't for this wonderful list and all of you wonderful people here, I would probably have been put away somewhere by now!
I wish I could offer you some remedy, but being that this is pretty new to me as well, I can only offer my ear, my shoulder and a prayer .
You will feel better...and as crazy as this thing goes, it could be tomorrow!
So hang in there Barb, and just come here and call upon your friends, and vent to your hearts content!
God Bless,Deda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2003, 02:36 AM   #3
(female)

pushka HB User
You know, I dont think anyone knows how us Hypos feel because its not like Cancer or anything - people would realise we had a disease. This is so silent, its like only we know the symptoms and how we feel. and people get sick of talking about it. I am sure my DH thinks nothing of it, except this time I have a large bruise where they took blood so its in his face!

Last edited by pushka; 11-15-2003 at 02:34 PM.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
I know about the bruising. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has noticed their skin thinning. You know when you get your blood drawn. Later you pull off the tape and gauze. The tape feels like it's pulling your skin off. Then you get those little red marks that stay for days where the tape was.
And the bruising-I get bruised alll the time and can't tell you how. Although I think wrestling with my 15 year old son might have SOMETHING to do with it!
I just woke up and had my morning cup of tea about a 1/2 hour ago. I feel much better than I did last night although I do still have some blurred vision. But at least I can see what I'm typing now! lol
Thanks for coming to my pity party last night. I'm so happy we have this board not only for the great info you give me but also the emotional support.
It started out being the anonimity that gave me the courage to say what and how I feel on this board. Now it's the caring, sharing and understanding friendship we have all developed that gives me courage to deal with this.
Barb

Old 11-15-2003, 10:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushka
You know, I dont think anyone knows how us Hypos feel because its not like Cancer or anything - people would realise we had a disease. This is so silent, its like only we know the symptoms and how we feel. and people get sick of talking about it. I am sure my DH thinks nothing of it, except this time I have a large bruise where they took blood so its in his face!
i so totally agree w/pushka ... practically no one has ever heard of thyroid disease unless they have it, and even then they may think, "what on earth is she complaining about??!!" ... my sister has it and it's nothing -- she runs around like a bright little bunny and i could kill her sometimes!!

in many ways, it's as bad as cancer, and at least cancer has the possibility of being cured (sounds like i'm comparing thyroid disease to cancer and i'm not, because it's ludicrous), but you know -- everyone "rallies round" when a DX of cancer is made, but who "rallies round" when the DX is thyroid disease? no one! everyone says "what?" with a look of bewilderment on their face, and leaves you to it ...

this is an ugly stupid disease (i'm having a relapse -- can you tell??) and i'd be mad if i weren't so exhausted ...

jb

Old 11-15-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmom
I know about the bruising. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has noticed their skin thinning. You know when you get your blood drawn. Later you pull off the tape and gauze. The tape feels like it's pulling your skin off. Then you get those little red marks that stay for days where the tape was.
And the bruising-I get bruised alll the time and can't tell you how. Although I think wrestling with my 15 year old son might have SOMETHING to do with it!
I just woke up and had my morning cup of tea about a 1/2 hour ago. I feel much better than I did last night although I do still have some blurred vision. But at least I can see what I'm typing now! lol
Thanks for coming to my pity party last night. I'm so happy we have this board not only for the great info you give me but also the emotional support.
It started out being the anonimity that gave me the courage to say what and how I feel on this board. Now it's the caring, sharing and understanding friendship we have all developed that gives me courage to deal with this.
Barb
never occurred to me about skin thinning, but since my skin has thinned substantially after i became hypo, hmmm ... and i'll "keep an eye out" for the blurry vision thing (so far not one of my symptoms, altho' i have felt as if i need new reading glasses lately -- get it? "keep an eye out" for blurred vision?? ahem, oh well ...) ... and i just realised i bruised easily too, when i was in the worst of it) ...

you're perfectly entitled to a pity party -- we're the only people who truly understand!!

jb

Old 11-15-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User
Back when I was diagnosed in 1988 no one even thought that could be my problem. It was called the Hidden disease. After 4 days in the hospital (thats how bad it was for me) my parents decided to call upon their doc to take a look at me. After listening he said she sounds like her Thyroid is out of whack. This was at a time were even it did not show on my blood work yet. It took a few weeks of them continuosly running the blood work. Then one fine test it showed. My TSH was 95 and my antibodies were 1,500. No one understood how I felt then and I still think no one does now. Everybody says stay positive a go about your day. I try so hard and sometimes I may succeed, but there are the days I wish upon no one to have to experience what I am. The frustration of not being able to do what I used to makes things worst.

I sure hope your feeling better Bosmon. Our weather as you know does not help. I'm looking forward to some sunshine.

I too bruise very easy. I swear my layer of thin skin comes off with the band-aid. Seems I don't have anemia according to the blood work.

Old 11-15-2003, 01:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyn
Back when I was diagnosed in 1988 no one even thought that could be my problem. It was called the Hidden disease. After 4 days in the hospital (thats how bad it was for me) my parents decided to call upon their doc to take a look at me. After listening he said she sounds like her Thyroid is out of whack. This was at a time were even it did not show on my blood work yet. It took a few weeks of them continuosly running the blood work. Then one fine test it showed. My TSH was 95 and my antibodies were 1,500. No one understood how I felt then and I still think no one does now. Everybody says stay positive a go about your day. I try so hard and sometimes I may succeed, but there are the days I wish upon no one to have to experience what I am. The frustration of not being able to do what I used to makes things worst.
i too am feeling just awful again; began last week and i think it's the cold weather, but who knows ... my daughter lives in toronto and i miss her SO much -- used to go and visit her about three times a year and it didn't matter how long i stayed ... now i don't visit any more because i can't summon the strength (even to walk from the train, thru' the station, to a taxi;i can't even get out of a taxi any more) ... i just sleep all day, and what does that do to my muscles? they're getting so weak that i can no longer do my physio exercises ... and this has been going on for you since 1988? for me, it's just been since last summer (but DX spring 2003), and it's been a cycle of up-down-around-thud up-down-around-thud ...

does anyone know of any passive muscle exercisers (like those electrodes that are supposed to snap your muscles into shape?) ... i asked my physio, and she said they don't work, but i dunno ... my calves have no muscle in them now, my feet hurt, yadda yadda ...

yes i agree; it's very frustrating not being able to do what one used to, and makes things so much worse ... i feel for all of us who go thru' this hellish experience but especially for you, ellyn, and hope the brief interludes of sanity and health show you, and all of us, a little light ...

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 11-15-2003 at 01:40 PM.

Old 11-15-2003, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User
jinglebts
I'm sorry I should have been clearer on my story. Back in 88 it took about 1 1/2 years for me to finally straighten out. It was a long battle and I went through many doctors and thats when I first started seeing an Endo. It was a nightmare.
After I was regualted and my body healed as I call it, I felt good up until last year October 20th!! So I know I can feel well. At least 95%, most of the time. But I feel even today with so much more info out I do not feel anyone can truely understand this disease unless they experienced it. When I tell the Doc some of my symptoms and when he replys no thats not Thyroid related, I get so frustrated. What I want to say is you get another 10 patients together that have the disease and lets compare our Symptoms. I have always replied that everyone is different and its effects us all differently. Then I usually just clam up.

Old 11-15-2003, 02:37 PM   #10
(female)

pushka HB User
This skin thing - I assumed I was allergic to bandaids - I swell etc - Recently I had surgery for a skin cancer - the wound was fine but the bandage swelling etc lasted for weeks!

Old 11-15-2003, 03:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyn
jinglebts
I'm sorry I should have been clearer on my story. Back in 88 it took about 1 1/2 years for me to finally straighten out. It was a long battle and I went through many doctors and thats when I first started seeing an Endo. It was a nightmare.
After I was regualted and my body healed as I call it, I felt good up until last year October 20th!! So I know I can feel well. At least 95%, most of the time. But I feel even today with so much more info out I do not feel anyone can truely understand this disease unless they experienced it. When I tell the Doc some of my symptoms and when he replys no thats not Thyroid related, I get so frustrated. What I want to say is you get another 10 patients together that have the disease and lets compare our Symptoms. I have always replied that everyone is different and its effects us all differently. Then I usually just clam up.
ellyn,

well, my reply still stands; the cycle of up-down-around-thud is pretty awful and you have to gauge what your limits are pretty severely ... and my endo/GP are sympathetic, but they still don't understand ... at least my GP had the grace to acknowledge that the fact that i broke my hip in may contributed/was the cause of my crash in july ... YES!!

but here i am still ...

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 11-15-2003 at 03:04 PM.

Closed Thread