It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
(male)

abigchocoholic HB User
garbled speech

Was reading over descriptions of brain fog and noticed several people talk about garbled speech. I've had occasional speech mishaps ever since I had major thyroid problems and knew it had to do with thyroid but it never made any of the "acknowledged" symptoms list so I thought maybe I was wrong-- until I read the brain fog posts.

For me, it's almost like studdering. All of a sudden the signals seem to get messed up and my mouth won't communicate properly with my brain. The harder I try the worse it gets. It can be quite embarassing. Then, in a second or two, it's gone. It's like there's a jam in the print spool or something.

What I want to know from other people though is this a hyper or hypo symptom for you? I think I get it when I'm hyper. Seems like it would be a hypo symptom though.

Your thoughts?

Old 11-16-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigchocoholic
Was reading over descriptions of brain fog and noticed several people talk about garbled speech. I've had occasional speech mishaps ever since I had major thyroid problems and knew it had to do with thyroid but it never made any of the "acknowledged" symptoms list so I thought maybe I was wrong-- until I read the brain fog posts.

What I want to know from other people though is this a hyper or hypo symptom for you? I think I get it when I'm hyper. Seems like it would be a hypo symptom though.

Your thoughts?
i've had similar speech problems (tho' not exactly the same -- mine don't clerar up in a couple of seconds -- more like half an hour), and they are related to the thyroid somehow ...

For me, it's almost like studdering. All of a sudden the signals seem to get messed up and my mouth won't communicate properly with my brain. The harder I try the worse it gets. It can be quite embarassing. Then, in a second or two, it's gone. It's like there's a jam in the print spool or something.

there's a jam in the print spool or something -- i love the description -- your symptoms sound more like aphasia, which i've also had ... aphasia is the inability to speak tho' one wants to, and knows what to say -- i just can't get it out! my aphasia lasts about 5 minutes, altho' it comes on, and fades, slowly so the whole attack lasts about 10 minutes ...

i thought it was related to my taking cytomel (T3), because it seems to happen almost immediately after ingestion ... do you take it?

how interesting!
jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 11-16-2003 at 09:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2003, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
ha, sorry, I have to laugh at this. I never thought garbled speech could be blamed on my thyroid problems. I have hypoT, and what others call my own language. Offically "alexitopia" My name- alexis, and utopia put together. Friends understand me quite well, strangers laugh because I usually aofihbadfh some words and then stop and say outloud "wait stop", and I turn, put my finger on my chin, think for a moment, and slowly start again. Normally this happens 10-30, 000 times a day. I have to laugh at myself though, because I am a very talkative person, and a leader amongst whatever I am invloved in. I think sometimes I need a translator with me. I was actually asked once if english was my first language!!! (it is, in fact, I do not know any others well enough to have a second language) Cheers to garbled speech- it enlightens and confuses everyone!! Have fun with it

blue

Old 11-17-2003, 03:33 AM   #4
(female)

BonBe HB User
I agree. I am a writer (children's stories) for Church 'storytelling' and even though I know what I am meaning to write, and I see it, written ok, when it come times to read the story aloud to the congregation, I sometimes speak in what I call foreign tongue and English is my ONLY language.

I find it frustrating as well, as being a childrens story teller, well the kids chuckle, but some of them, have this sort of BLANK look, like they are saying "waddddt?" Noah built an ardvark?" (well, you know what I mean)

But I turn beet red. (not being that comfy reading in front of a group, even though they are my own stories) I too am wondering if I can take a supplement which helps connect my eyes to my speech! One day I fully expect to make a rather large BLUNDER and woe betide me!

Bonnie

Old 11-17-2003, 06:56 AM   #5
(female)

BonBe HB User
This is a P.S. to my previous post on this speech problem. I read my hororscope today and this is what it says... I am laughing so hard.

You may feel like you need C-3PO, the translator droid from Star Wars ... just to make sense of the bizarre gobbledygook coming out of your own mouth. You are going to ask yourself "Did I really say THAT?" You may need a jargon translator by the end of the day.

Now I think that this fits me today and it is only 10:00 a.m.

BonBe

Old 11-17-2003, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Garbled speech, yes I seem to have that quite often! I will be talking and something comes out of my mouth that I don't know where it came from. I was reading to my daughter last night and she had to giggle a few times because I was coming up with my own words! Some days are worse than others, I guess on the bad days I should just zip my lips.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
my husband recently gave me a birthday card that said on the front, "Zeeple florb eep kligoo," and on the inside, said " ... Narboza?"

i collapsed laughing when i opened it; my husband understands what i mean when i "aofihbadfh", but he's the only one who does ... my grown-up daughter came home and didn't get it at all -- i guess it's our own private joke!

alexis: my name is alix, and i'm often asked, "is that short for alexis?"

Closed Thread