It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 18
PACKER HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
come to think of it, i haven't had an episode of ear fluttering (let's just call it EF) since the summer, at least ... i began treatment in march 2003 and had had EF for about a year before that, when i think my thyroid began to go south ...

the things 'ya learn on this board!!

jb

The ear has been quiet tonite but gave me trouble going to sleep last night...I definitely feel better about it just knowing some others experience the same thing..this board really is a tremendous help...thanks to all of you!!

 
Old 12-02-2003, 05:37 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 39
peaches123 HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Well, that does remind me that before I was diagnosed, at night I would think I heard sounds, even complained to my husband and he said he heard nothing,,,,just happened to complain of fatique to my oncologist during yearly check-up for breast cancer (4 yrs. ago) and he noticed 15 pound weight gain and put two and two together...ordered TSh test...tsh test results 114 (was told max range was up to 5...it has been quite an adventure..I was beginning to fear a return of the cancer so I was quite relieved actually to be diagnosed hypo


When I was "discovered" I was at the Dr getting some moles removed... we were just talking she took my temp. it was 94 degrees.. she said your sick!! i said well I have been takeing alot of naps lately.. I was only in my early 30's figured it was the kids wearing me out or like everyone says... I was gaining so much weight that was wearing me down.. she sent me for the blood test , the uptake and the scan that showed the nodules.. Synthroyd ever since now added armour to help.. Tree frogs... I hear tree frogs...

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-02-2003, 09:15 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 18
PACKER HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches123
Well, that does remind me that before I was diagnosed, at night I would think I heard sounds, even complained to my husband and he said he heard nothing,,,,just happened to complain of fatique to my oncologist during yearly check-up for breast cancer (4 yrs. ago) and he noticed 15 pound weight gain and put two and two together...ordered TSh test...tsh test results 114 (was told max range was up to 5...it has been quite an adventure..I was beginning to fear a return of the cancer so I was quite relieved actually to be diagnosed hypo


When I was "discovered" I was at the Dr getting some moles removed... we were just talking she took my temp. it was 94 degrees.. she said your sick!! i said well I have been takeing alot of naps lately.. I was only in my early 30's figured it was the kids wearing me out or like everyone says... I was gaining so much weight that was wearing me down.. she sent me for the blood test , the uptake and the scan that showed the nodules.. Synthroyd ever since now added armour to help.. Tree frogs... I hear tree frogs...

Well, went to doctor who proclaimed me cured, perfect...I am not so sure..I did ask about the ear nosie..he took a look and said my ear was totally plugged up and proceeded to give the ear wash treatment..he said if it did not fix it, it was tinnuitis and you just have to get used to it...???

 
Old 12-02-2003, 11:15 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 2,218
jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKER
Well, went to doctor who proclaimed me cured, perfect...I am not so sure..I did ask about the ear nosie..he took a look and said my ear was totally plugged up and proceeded to give the ear wash treatment..he said if it did not fix it, it was tinnuitis and you just have to get used to it...???
i think tinnitis is a shreaking/squealing/horn sound in the ear, and i have it in both and have for quite some time (years, like 10) ... my ear "fluttering" went away a couple of months ago ... could be just coincidence (my dh also has it, but there's nothing wrong with his thyroid) ...

jb
__________________
keep the faith ...

 
Old 12-03-2003, 06:42 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 53
imnotcrazy HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKER
The ear has been quiet tonite but gave me trouble going to sleep last night...I definitely feel better about it just knowing some others experience the same thing..this board really is a tremendous help...thanks to all of you!!

Same to you. It really is nice to hear others having the same symptoms. Kind of makes me realize I am not going crazy.

 
Old 12-04-2003, 05:53 AM   #21
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 66
LMS1306 HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

I am sure I can constantly hear my pulse in my right ear. It is a low-pitched, constant thud (not quite sure if that was the best word to use). It gets much louder if I am tired. (I am currently an untreated hypo - so like that isn't most of my life at present).

Does anyone else experience this?

I mentioned it to my Dr and he said something about blood vessels in my neck, and it being quite normal. I think annoying is a better term.

 
Old 12-07-2003, 08:14 PM   #22
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 101
audreyjudith HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS1306
I am sure I can constantly hear my pulse in my right ear. It is a low-pitched, constant thud (not quite sure if that was the best word to use). It gets much louder if I am tired. (I am currently an untreated hypo - so like that isn't most of my life at present).

Does anyone else experience this?

I mentioned it to my Dr and he said something about blood vessels in my neck, and it being quite normal. I think annoying is a better term.
Yeah, i get that sometimes too and i have asked the ENT about it and they say that even the blood coursing through the arteries can have a high pitched frequency, sorta' like when you run your finger across a wet window.

I just hope it goes away.

- Michael

 
Old 12-07-2003, 08:19 PM   #23
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 66
LMS1306 HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyjudith
Yeah, i get that sometimes too and i have asked the ENT about it and they say that even the blood coursing through the arteries can have a high pitched frequency, sorta' like when you run your finger across a wet window.

I just hope it goes away.

- Michael
Any idea if it is thyroid related? I got the impression it wasn't.

I find it bizarre that it is only on one side.

I too hope it disappears as suddenly as it appeared.

Cheers!

 
Old 01-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #24
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1
aellis27 HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Hey guys/gals.

I ended up in here because the topic was exactly what I was looking for. I have a minort history of major medical problems that have come and gone (knock on wood!!!). I have just recently aquired an annoying fluttering in my right ear and an annoying sound of grinding in my ear when I roll or, even, open and close my jaw. I was thinking early "TMJ." or something like, but the fluttering is what has me concerned. It seems like this is something more that goes not only from the ear but deeper into my jaw...not the other way around. Any suggestions would greatfully appreciated.

 
Old 09-12-2007, 05:10 AM   #25
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1
mzlisamichelle HB User
Thumbs up Re: fluttering in ear

For the first time, just before I went to bed last night, I heard a soft flutter in my ear. I woke up this morning still concerned about what that might have been. I heard sometimes bugs get in your ear, and I didn't want that. LOL Now I see yet another symptom to Hypo. Do the symptoms every stop? ****.

I have been diagnosed Hypo now for 3 years. Started out at 50 mcg, then 75mcg, then 88mcg. I went 9 months without taking my meds because I thought it was a waste of time and my insurance wasn't paying for them anyway. I learned of what I thought was ALL the symptoms. Most important I learned NEVER go without. I finally ended up seeing a Thyroid specialist instead of my doctor, I had to fight my way there, but I made it. I was so under prescribed it wasn't even funny, that is why I thought nothing was working, so why should I take it?

Anyway, I have been taking 200mcg Synthroid for the past 6 months and most my symptoms are gone, but now I have a new one. (Ear flutter) I get the ringing all the time and hardly notice it there anymore. I don't mind the flutter, it was kind of neat... it just worried me a little bit. Now that I know, I'm fine. Thanks to whoever started this message board.

Last edited by mzlisamichelle; 09-12-2007 at 05:15 AM. Reason: The word b.l.o.g. was coming out in stars.

 
Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 2,218
jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Cool Re: fluttering in ear

Hi,

I'm no longer hypo (t'was medication induced), but I've noticed that certain drugs can do that -- for example, dilantin and effexor.

I think just about anything can do it -- another poster said that she/he got it when overtired ...

Now ringing in the ears (aka, tinnitis) -- ain't that a pain? Mine began quite suddenly about 12 years ago and hasn't ceased. I can hear it now!

jb
__________________
keep the faith ...

 
Old 09-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #27
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14
vamomma HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

I have been having "ear trouble" for going on 10 years now. I was diagnosed with Meniere's Syndrome about 5 years ago (lots of articles on it on the internet). They don't quite know what causes it...thus the term "syndrome" instead of disease. I think it's like Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue...a name they have given to something they can't explain.

I was recently identified as having possible adrenal problems.
The adrenals play a major part in fluid and electrolyte balance and since the inner ear is extremely sensitive to fluid imbalances it wouldn't surprise me that my adrenals might be the cause. I should be finding out more from my endo at my appointment tomorrow.

I think my thyroid may be involved as well. About three years ago I gained about 20 lbs, started experiencing muscle aches and pains, puffy face in the morning, vitamin & mineral deficiencies, relatively low body temperatures (average between 96.9 and 97.1 in the morning and it rarely goes over 97.8 during the day) and have recently been identified with high cholesterol (specifically my HDL).

I have had my thyroid tested multiple times over the years (doctors must also automatically think the thyroid is involved based on my symptoms) but my TSH always comes back smack dab normal (between .9 and 1.2). However a recent test did show my free T4 as being in the low end of the range so maybe that is telling. I plan on inquiring about this at my appointment tomorrow.

Anyway, long story short, I have always insisted that my ear problems were hormonal. I would not at all be surprised if the adrenals and/or thyroid are a cause of Meniere's.

Alison

 
Old 09-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 2,218
jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Lightbulb Re: fluttering in ear

Thanks for that clue, vamomma. I would do pretty much anything to get rid of this dratted ringing.

jb
__________________
keep the faith ...

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Left Ear fluttering / rumbling dieselman8 Ear, Nose & Throat 4 07-03-2007 04:36 AM
Reflux, Hiatal Hernia, and now fluttering, need help njben Hernia 7 05-27-2007 09:04 AM
heart fluttering scares me scared girl Heart Disorders 5 11-14-2005 05:37 PM
Fluttering... :| kittycall Women's Health 1 09-29-2005 04:07 PM
Nerve causing fluttering muscle spasms, vertigo, puking ladybird988 Dizziness / Vertigo 1 05-20-2005 10:04 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (668), midwest1 (631), FinnMaid (312), Reece (225), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (47), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1005), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!