It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2003, 06:55 PM   #1

PACKER HB User
fluttering in ear

Diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 weeks ago..go back to doctor for recheck Tuesday..am currently taking low dose synthroid..I have a recurring flutter in my right ear..something like a helicopter hovering very softly anyone else have this???

Old 11-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #2

imnotcrazy HB User
Re: fluttering in ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKER
Diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 weeks ago..go back to doctor for recheck Tuesday..am currently taking low dose synthroid..I have a recurring flutter in my right ear..something like a helicopter hovering very softly anyone else have this???
Packer,

Your post caught my eye. I have that and it is in my right ear as well! It's a fluttering but feels to me like the feeling you have when you get water in your ear and you put your head to the side to dislodge it.That was one of the many symptoms I have complained about to my GP over that last year and a half. Have not had a definitive diagnosis yet (read my post Test Results HELP! It explains my last two sets of test results) I go to the endo 12/5
I like your explaination. Mine seems to be set off by sounds, like if I am holding the phone up to my ear while it is ringing or the sound of my husband snoring. Makes trying to fall asleep some nights real fun!
Mine is recurring but not constant. Have you noticed different pitches of sound causing yours to happen?

Last edited by imnotcrazy; 11-28-2003 at 07:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 08:18 PM   #3

PACKER HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotcrazy
Packer,

Your post caught my eye. I have that and it is in my right ear as well! It's a fluttering but feels to me like the feeling you have when you get water in your ear and you put your head to the side to dislodge it.That was one of the many symptoms I have complained about to my GP over that last year and a half. Have not had a definitive diagnosis yet (read my post Test Results HELP! It explains my last two sets of test results) I go to the endo 12/5
I like your explaination. Mine seems to be set off by sounds, like if I am holding the phone up to my ear while it is ringing or the sound of my husband snoring. Makes trying to fall asleep some nights real fun!
Mine is recurring but not constant. Have you noticed different pitches of sound causing yours to happen?
No, I have not noticed anything in particular that makes it occur..it just seems to happen for no reason..you are right, it is almost like having a little water in your ear..it is really aggravating and seems to happen almost daily but at different times..it makes me really feel wierd...have not asked doctor about it..mine does not seem to interested in any symptoms..he just said, take this medicine and you will be back to normal..I sure hope he's right..

Old 11-28-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
(male)

audreyjudith HB User

Hi Guys,

I am into levoxyl now for 2 months. Ringing in the ears is a symptom of being Hypo. Mine really started in the beginning of 2002. (before i knew is was hypo).

When i was diagnosed(SEPT 2003), thats when i became aware that the ringing is a symptom.

I have a heavy family history of "Hypos". My Aunt told me that hers went away sometime i about 1 year after starting treatment.

The fluttering is better described as ear spasms is mostly due to fluid buildup and or a festering ear infection. Ear infections are very common in -UNtreated- Hypos.

Some of the ear sounds can be:

High pitched constant but you dont notice it all the time.

High screeching (like a million bats) that comes fast and loud then goes away rather fast and is more noticed at night when going to sleep.

Medium pitched hums or roars that come fast and go away fast.

I am hopeful that my aunt is right and the doctors are right when they say it will disappear but you have to just give it time.

Dont worry, you wont go -NUTS- i used to think the same thing. If it never goes away, you will learn to live with it and you will only notice it some of the time.

regards - Michael

Old 11-28-2003, 08:34 PM   #5

PACKER HB User

Well, that does remind me that before I was diagnosed, at night I would think I heard sounds, even complained to my husband and he said he heard nothing,,,,just happened to complain of fatique to my oncologist during yearly check-up for breast cancer (4 yrs. ago) and he noticed 15 pound weight gain and put two and two together...ordered TSh test...tsh test results 114 (was told max range was up to 5...it has been quite an adventure..I was beginning to fear a return of the cancer so I was quite relieved actually to be diagnosed hypo..

Old 11-29-2003, 09:30 AM   #6

KandiKane HB User
Smile Re: fluttering in ear

I am still untreated for thyroid but did have a bout with "ear sounds" and vertigo a few years ago. I took diuretics for a while and eventually everything cleared up. I never suspected thyroid could be the cause but do remember that my ENT did quite a bit of tests and all were normal. It will be interesting to see if the thyroid med will help you ears. I do hope so, since I know how irritating it can be.
[

Old 11-29-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

I've had that fluttering in my ear on occasion since a couple years before I was diagnosed hypo. I've always noticed a correlation between the fluttering and being tired, especially from being sleep deprived. I also have tinnitus constantly, at a couple of mid to high pitched frequencies. The only way I don't hear it is when another noise masks it. I've always wondered if the fluttering and the ringing are related, and whether or not they are thyroid related.

Old 11-30-2003, 04:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

Quote:
The fluttering is better described as ear spasms is mostly due to fluid buildup and or a festering ear infection. Ear infections are very common in -UNtreated- Hypos.
i've had that ear fluttering for ages (like for years), since long before i think i had hypo, and my DH has it too (he's not hypo/hyper) ... agree with imnotcrazy -- seems to be set off by loud sounds ...

jb

Old 11-30-2003, 10:10 AM   #9

PACKER HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel2
I've had that fluttering in my ear on occasion since a couple years before I was diagnosed hypo. I've always noticed a correlation between the fluttering and being tired, especially from being sleep deprived. I also have tinnitus constantly, at a couple of mid to high pitched frequencies. The only way I don't hear it is when another noise masks it. I've always wondered if the fluttering and the ringing are related, and whether or not they are thyroid related.

Yes, I think there is a connection with being tired as mine mostly happens late in the evening..how strange that is...but guess it does have to do with the hypo..hate to ask the doctor as he does not seem to want to look at symptoms at all...

Last edited by PACKER; 11-30-2003 at 10:11 AM.

Old 11-30-2003, 07:50 PM   #10

imnotcrazy HB User

Quote:
Yes, I think there is a connection with being tired as mine mostly happens late in the evening..how strange that is...but guess it does have to do with the hypo..hate to ask the doctor as he does not seem to want to look at symptoms at all...
Hmmmmmmmm I'll have to pay more attention and see if it happens to me more when I am tired. I think it does but I am not 100% sure, but then again it is kind of hard to tell since I am always tired! I know what you mean about asking the doctor. When I mentioned it to my gp a while ago - could be months or years - he sort of looked at me like I was nuts!

Old 11-30-2003, 10:18 PM   #11

PACKER HB User

I go back to the doctor on Tuesday to hear results of most recent TSH test...maybe I will work up my nerve to ask doctor about ear..one thing is for sure, I am still way tired and a bit depressed...hope things will improve soon..maybe he will up the dose..the doctor did not order anything except TSH and I am concerned that it is not enough to tell the whole story...

Old 12-01-2003, 10:45 AM   #12

imnotcrazy HB User

Quote:
I go back to the doctor on Tuesday to hear results of most recent TSH test...maybe I will work up my nerve to ask doctor about ear..one thing is for sure, I am still way tired and a bit depressed...hope things will improve soon..maybe he will up the dose..the doctor did not order anything except TSH and I am concerned that it is not enough to tell the whole story...
Good luck with the doctor. If you need your dosage upped - hope he does it for you. If you do work up the nerve to ask your doc about your ear I'd be curious to hear what he has to say. When I mentioned it to my GP (before I had any bloodwork for my thyroid)he looked at me as if I had said "oh by the way I've started growing a third breast"

Old 12-01-2003, 07:47 PM   #13

PACKER HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotcrazy
Good luck with the doctor. If you need your dosage upped - hope he does it for you. If you do work up the nerve to ask your doc about your ear I'd be curious to hear what he has to say. When I mentioned it to my GP (before I had any bloodwork for my thyroid)he looked at me as if I had said "oh by the way I've started growing a third breast"

Thanks, I hope it will go well...I know you are right about the way they respond sometimes...at least we can laugh a little about it... thanks for the encouraging words...

Old 12-01-2003, 08:04 PM   #14

peaches123 HB User

High pitched constant but you dont notice it all the time.

High screeching (like a million bats) that comes fast and loud then goes away rather fast and is more noticed at night when going to sleep.

Medium pitched hums or roars that come fast and go away fast.

I am hopeful that my aunt is right and the doctors are right when they say it will disappear but you have to just give it time.

I have been HYPO for 18 years on meds... my sounds I relate to tree frogs or chicatas,,.. constant... I hate it quiet... i find the easiest way to fall asleep is with a fan on in the room.. Linda
(I'm not nuts yet... I don't think....

Old 12-01-2003, 10:31 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

Quote:
Thanks, I hope it will go well...I know you are right about the way they respond sometimes...at least we can laugh a little about it... thanks for the encouraging words...
come to think of it, i haven't had an episode of ear fluttering (let's just call it EF) since the summer, at least ... i began treatment in march 2003 and had had EF for about a year before that, when i think my thyroid began to go south ...

the things 'ya learn on this board!!

jb

Closed Thread