It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2003, 09:43 AM   #1

Kristi91 HB User
Thyroid nodules, what is considered large?

Hello! I just recieved my results from a thyroid ultrasound and uptake scan I had done and it shows I have 3 larger nodules on my thyroid - one on my right lobe that measures 1.4cm and the same size on my left lobe and one on my isthmus that measures 4x2x3 mm. My uptake scan was 37% . Are these nodules considered large enough for removal or would taking the radioactive iodine treatment be more suitable for my hyperthyroid? I do have trouble swallowing food sometimes without drinking something with it, and can not take most reg. size vitamins, etc. without choking on them. If you have had nodules and had the thyroid removed b/c of them , how big did they measure? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2003, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ladywolfe HB User
Re: Thyroid nodules, what is considered large?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi91
Hello! I just recieved my results from a thyroid ultrasound and uptake scan I had done and it shows I have 3 larger nodules on my thyroid - one on my right lobe that measures 1.4cm and the same size on my left lobe and one on my isthmus that measures 4x2x3 mm. My uptake scan was 37% . Are these nodules considered large enough for removal or would taking the radioactive iodine treatment be more suitable for my hyperthyroid? I do have trouble swallowing food sometimes without drinking something with it, and can not take most reg. size vitamins, etc. without choking on them. If you have had nodules and had the thyroid removed b/c of them , how big did they measure? Thanks in advance!

Kristi,

I know all cases are different, and different doctors take out your thyroid based on different criteria.

I had a 4.0 solid nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid, 2, 1.5" nodules on the left, and a 1.2 on the isthmus. The entire thyroid was also enlarged. I too had trouble swallowing, and was talking hoarse.
I was hypo though, not hyper. When do you go back to talk this over with your doctor? What has he suggested? How long have you been having problems?

Let us know how things work out.

HUGS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

Hi Kristi, I had a few nodules on my right lobe and I had them removed this past August. It was never a question of size though, it more so the fact I would have to get them rechecked for cancer every six months until we found they were cancerous. I decided this based on the fact that who wants to wait to have cancer? I have had two previous biopsies the last two years, and both of them said the tumours were benign. When I had my right lobectomy, the results were different. The pathology report came back cancerous, and now I have to get a second surgery. Something in my head must have been telling me to get them out now...very few people wanted me to have the first surgery. Now that I have that done, other doctors cannot figure out why they were never suspicious about my biospy reports before. They said it was rare that a patient with my thyroid history would have cancerous tumours, let alone tumours in the first place. So I reccommend you really talk to your doctors about it, and follow your heart. I caught my cancer so early, and I would hate to see what would have happened if I didn't.
Good luck to you, and please, update us on what the doctors, and how you feel and what you think. Its so great to get other people's opinions, experiences and knowledge on these boards.
love blue

Old 12-08-2003, 10:44 AM   #4

tpjhmoser HB User

Hello, I am new here and can't say that I know much about this. I am having surgery on Dec. 10th to remove the entire left side of my thyroid because it contains a 2.3 cm nodule. It is growing half on the inside of the thyroid and half on the outside. According to the ultrasound it is a septated cyst and it is fluid with pieces of tissue floating in it? Also noticed on the ultrasound is that I have several small beginning cysts on the right side. The doctor that will do the surgery will try to cut out the cysts on the right in hopes of leaving me at least 10% of the thryoid. I am going in a couple of hours to do my pre-registration at the hospital and have my blood drawn again. I have not been put on any medication and I really feel "cruddy".
Pam

Old 12-08-2003, 09:21 PM   #5

kixlonron89 HB User

I had my first visit with my endo dr today. She is supposedly the best. She felt my neck today and said that she thought she could feel some nodules. She also said she felt some lumps. She wasn't sure what it could be so she had a ultrasound done in that area. I do not know the results but her office said that she(the dr herself) would call me tomorrow with my results. I also had my tsh, ana, lupus, ft3, ft4, and a few other tests done also. I am a little nervous about this because it is very new to me. What are the lumps suppose to mean? I asked her about different vitamins and supplements that I was curious about taking. She was absolutely against me taking kelp. She did recommend that I start taking selenium along with a multi vitamin. She also said it is important that I take something like Oscal w/d and vitamin c.

Closed Thread