It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 06:05 AM   #1
Inactive

hypodude HB User
Too little synthroid?

Does anyone know if too little synthroid can actually be detrimental to getting fixed? Can you theoretically start on a very low dose and work your way up?

I am curious to know if anyone actually knows for sure that if just a little synthroid is introduced to the body if your body's natural production will stop or slow significantly. I ask becasue I took the equivalent of just .25 mg twice now and felt like crap the next day both times and Im still not fixed walking around with a 13+ TSH for the last 4 months now but doc wont do any other blood tests to test my Thyroid other than my normal Thyroxine level of 6 with a range of 4 - 12. I go through "waves" of feeling good and feeling crappy. I've been on a "good" wave for about 1.5 weeks now and feel perfectly normal for a change - other than some slight dizziness here and there usually later in the day but its much better than I felt when I took my small Synthroid dose.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
Inactive

essbeep HB User
Re: Too little synthroid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypodude
Does anyone know if too little synthroid can actually be detrimental to getting fixed? Can you theoretically start on a very low dose and work your way up?

Hi. From all I have read and talked to my doctors about, yes you can start low and work your way up. The meds do affect your body in many ways adn shouldn't be toyed with too much or there can be adverse side affects.

The only DOWN SIDE to TOO LITTLE Synthoid is that the thyroid still tries to make the right amount and what you want to do is SHUT IT DOWN and use the replacement therapy hormone.... too little can only hurt you in that it will allow you to remain Hypo...unless you are allergic or are having adverse effects from the meds itself.

I don't like taking ANY meds...i am always the ONE who gets the side effects, even the RARE ones... yikes!!!! SO, if you can, stay on it and see your doc regularly and let him know how you feel at all times.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

pushka HB User

Funny you should ask this hypodude. I have been reading heaps of posts and am coming to the possible conclusion that when you are on the dose just BELOW where you need to be, you actually feel WORSE than the dose before.

I started on 50mcgs, didnt noticce anything - no better, no worse. Then on to 100mcg - no difference again - could have been a placebo. When I went on to 150mcgs, I felt terrible - exhausted. So have upped myself to 175 mcgs and feel GREAT!

What do you think?

Old 12-17-2003, 03:33 AM   #4
Inactive

hypodude HB User

...interesting. I am not sure if I had a reaction or trurned myself more Hypo by taking too little but I did not really want to find out. I felt like crap almost precisely 12 - 13 hours after taking the very low dose BOTH times I tried starting my meds and this crappy feeling lasted about 10 - 12 hours both times.

My thoughts were if I took only 1/4 pill in an attempt to work my way up to my whole 112 mcg dose and felt very crummy, THANK GOD I didn't take the entire dose cause I would have been in really bad shape if just 1/4 pill made me pretty sick.

Im wondering if my reasoning is off or if Im allergic to the stuff or its something else all together, like my adrenals. All I know is if normal logic plays a roll, I would have REALLY been in bad shape with a dose that was 4 times what I tried taking. If the effects of a full pill were 4 times stronger than what I was dealing with only 1/4 pill, I think I would have ended up in the hospital.

On the other side, Im wondering if I took just enough to shut down my own natural production, sending me VERY hypo. I just don't have the nerve to swallow the whole pill to find out so Im sorta stuck in this Hypo mode and am learning to just deal with it. My TSH was 13 and my Thyroxine was normal when last checked 2 months ago.

Closed Thread