It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
Inactive

hypodude HB User
A Brazil Nut a day.......for Selenium

FYI for those who are interested in the Selenium connection. Brazil Nuts are the highest natural source of Selenium to be found anywhere. 1 ounce of Brazil Nuts (about 6.1 average size nuts) contains 839 MCG of Selenium. This is 4 times the RDA for Selenium however.

1 nut per day will provide you with about 137 mcg of selenium per day and they taste good too.

Crunching the numbers, if you wanted to get the full RDA of Selenium via Brazil Nuts, you would need to eat roughly 1.5 nuts per day for the full 200 mcg daily allowance.

Brazil Nuts in addition, provide a lot of protein, iron, and the "good" oils that can help lower cholesterol. They've been known to be a powerful anti-oxidant.

Anyway, that's my contribution for today for all those nuts out there : )

Do a Google search under Brazil Nuts and Selenium and you'll find a wealth of info. I figure anytime you can get your supplements naturally you might as well. For those that are not familiar with Brazil Nuts, they are those really dark brown nuts that are hard as a rock to open and are shaped like and orange wedge, sort of triangular. It cost me only $2.49 for a large bag that would supply me with about 60 days worth of Selenium versus paying 10.99 for a bottle of the stuff at the vitamin store.

Anyway....enjoy.

As they say....a Brazil Nut a day will keep the Endo away : )

Closed Thread