It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #1

CheriP HB User
Why don't all doctors prescribe Armour?

Although I've been posting here a while, I never have enough time to read all the information that gets circulated. For that reason, I'm just wondering why it seems you have to "find" a doctor who prescribes Armour. Is it not FDA approved or something? I often see many of you praising it, and frankly, I'm interested in trying it myself if it is the best for treating Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I have never asked my doc about it, but wanted to arm myself with some info so that I can tell if he's giving me the run around.

I'm on .88 synthroid, and feeling pretty tired and sometimes I get in a really down mood--not slit your wrist depressed or anything, but just bummed about life, etc. etc. My skin is very dry and I have major brain fog, difficulty concentrating, can't remember jack anymore. I also have intermittent muscle aches and joint pain in my upper/mid spine. I'm waiting for my labs from last Thursday to be sent to my doctor, and then I'll post them.

I'm just confused if Armour is so great, why is it so hard to convince doctors to give it to us? By the way, is it a matter of convincing them to prescribe it or are only some doctors "able" to prescribe it? Will my regular pharmacy carry it?

Sorry for all the questions. Hope y'all can help!

Thanks, Cheri

Old 01-12-2004, 01:48 PM   #2

polsgrov HB User
Re: Why don't all doctors prescribe Armour?

Again, Synthroid has been reported in several sources to have problems with quality control. Thus, one batch may contain more of the hormone than another. That's probably why you're experiencing varied reactions from day to day...assuming that you're taking it with water on an empty stomach and not taking anything else in for 30 to 45 min. afterward.

When I requested my Dr. to switch me to Armour, he was equally resistive. To hear someone else complain of having the same difficulty leaves me wondering whether the manufacturer doesn't pay these guys off for prescribing Syn...naw, I hope not!

LP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User

I have one who wonít prescribe anything but Armour. Iím convinced that I donít need the extra T3 in Armour, but I canít get her to give me something else.

Old 01-13-2004, 04:36 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Why it isn't prescribed as often is due to $$$$$$$. The patent on Armour has long ago expired. It has been around for over 100 years. It is tried and true, but there is no $$$$ in it. So the makers of Synthroid ( and other drugs not to pick on Synthroid entirelly)are giving the doctors thier totally biased "research" and info in why Synthroid is "better" and bad-mouthing Armour. Many doctors learn from the drug companies as they don't have the time to look up and research every disease and drug anymore. The drug companies also give doctors great perks, like trips, dinners, gifts,etc...I was sitting in my GP's office (in the examining room) for about 15 minutes and 2 drug reps came into see him. I just got my new prescription drug plan and the only choices for Thyroid Replacement were Unithroid and (surprise,surprise) Synthroid. Tell me they haven't infiltrated this insurance company.

Armour is the drug that many holistic healers prescribe. Doctors that are truly informed will also let their patients have Armour. Many Endos still believe that Synthroid is "superior", at least that was my experience. 2 out of 2 thought Armour was "dangerous".

Old 01-13-2004, 05:46 AM   #5

mipps HB User

Hi Cheri

Your question made me think, I too have Hashimotos and I have had a look at information on the australian Thryroid desease website.

There is a story published that highlights one sufferers story:

On Sythetic T4 Hormone replacment
1......Hypothryoid -
2......Upping of dose stablized condition for approx 2 months
3......Hypothryoid symptoms returned even worst than before.
4......This continued for a period until...
5......Change to "natural desiccated thyroid " replacement(T4 and T3)

Explanation given was: "What is normal for one person is not necessarily normal for another. I think you are one of the rare ones. He explained to me that thyroxine (T4), has to be successfully converted by the cells into active T3 before the body can use it. He felt, in my situation, that my cells were not converting sufficient amounts of thyroid hormone into T3, to maintain my bodily functions. He was also concerned that each time I increased my dosage, the relief was only temporary and the symptoms that would return would be worse than the previous time. He decided that I might respond better to a hormone replacement that included both T4 and T3."

Food for thought?

Sonia

Old 01-13-2004, 06:05 AM   #6

frank3525 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriPatrice
Although I've been posting here a while, I never have enough time to read all the information that gets circulated. For that reason, I'm just wondering why it seems you have to "find" a doctor who prescribes Armour. Is it not FDA approved or something? I often see many of you praising it, and frankly, I'm interested in trying it myself if it is the best for treating Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I have never asked my doc about it, but wanted to arm myself with some info so that I can tell if he's giving me the run around.

I'm on .88 synthroid, and feeling pretty tired and sometimes I get in a really down mood--not slit your wrist depressed or anything, but just bummed about life, etc. etc. My skin is very dry and I have major brain fog, difficulty concentrating, can't remember jack anymore. I also have intermittent muscle aches and joint pain in my upper/mid spine. I'm waiting for my labs from last Thursday to be sent to my doctor, and then I'll post them.

I'm just confused if Armour is so great, why is it so hard to convince doctors to give it to us? By the way, is it a matter of convincing them to prescribe it or are only some doctors "able" to prescribe it? Will my regular pharmacy carry it?

Sorry for all the questions. Hope y'all can help!

Thanks, Cheri
Cheri,
Change your doctor if you don't find results. also, if you have a primary care physician they can also monitor your levels. Just like any kind of hypo medication it has to be monitored ,but i agree to be taking the real deal t3 and t4 if thats what were lacking.. Most doctors go by what the lab results say and not pay attention to the signs of the patient. I finally got off synthroid because i just thought it was way to too common for doctors to give it out. Also, everyone reacts differently to meds so you have to try them. Before i found out i was hypo, my skin and hair was very dry also, and i was losing body hair. The doc actually diagnosed me 5yrs ago, and started me on Levoxyl. I saw an immediate change then later on changed to synthroid because it was name brand(big mistake). Been on armour for 4 months and still monitoring it. keep searching and good luck.

frank

Old 01-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #7

planetearth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by polsgrov

When I requested my Dr. to switch me to Armour, he was equally resistive. To hear someone else complain of having the same difficulty leaves me wondering whether the manufacturer doesn't pay these guys off for prescribing Syn...naw, I hope not!

LP

NOT so far-fetched as you may think. I know people in Pharmaceutical Sales and they offer INCENTIVES to doctors to USE THEIR DRUG. Doctors get MAJOR kickbacks, trips, bonuses, etc. for pushing a drug. The patient has control over thier own treatment if they are informed. It is so good to see so many here researching on their own, getting informed and going to their doctors since most doctors are only allowed to do the MINIMUM treatment do to HMO/Insurance restrictions. I am not saying doctors are bad or crooked but they are HEAVILY influenced by the insurance companies and especially the drug companies. It is quite SCARY, most of us have to fight for the treatment we deserve.

Closed Thread