It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 01:14 AM   #1

Dani11024 HB User
Question hypo & endo?

Does anyone know if there is any relationship between hypothyroidism and endometriosis?

Old 01-24-2004, 05:04 AM   #2

mipps HB User
Re: hypo & endo?

Hi

I have had endometriosis (had hysterectomy 7 years ago because of it) and have hashimotos. My understanding is that endo is now being thought by researchers to be a problem of the immune system as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 05:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: hypo & endo?

Yes. They've known for a long time that people who develope endometriosis have relatives with autoimmune diseases. They often have autoimmune diseases themselves. My sister has endo. She was stricken with Guillian-Barre Syndrome when she was 19. I am hypo as is an uncle of mine. Our mother had rheumatoid arthritis. Our grandmother and two uncles had psoriasis. An uncle has vitiligo. Our dad is borderline diabetic. So, as you can see, our family has quite a few of the autoimmune diseases covered. Yes, I believe there is a strong link there.
Do search on hypothyroidism and endometriosis. There are articles out there linking the two.
Barb

Old 01-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #4

Peeps HB User
Arrow Re: hypo & endo? LINKS for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani11024
Does anyone know if there is any relationship between hypothyroidism and endometriosis?
Hi,

I also have endometriosis. Just a brief background on me: I am 49 and have had the symptoms/pain of it since 12 with my first menses, however, it was not diagnosed until I was 32. I was found to have severe endo at that time. I continue to struggle with it and am on continuous oral contraceptives (active pills only, with an occasional break of 5-7 days) to control what painful symptoms the Pill can. I have multiple ovarian cysts (endometriomas, we believe) and adhesions and most likely significant disease built up again over the years.

I have been having what my docs term "borderline hypothyroidism" over the past 7 years of testing my TSH. I believe I need treatment for it, instead of the 'wait and see' approach that has prevailed. I have been diagnosed with FMS (fibromyalgia) and MPS (myofascial pain sydrome) for the past 13 years and I feel my thyroid is likely to be the cause of some of the overlapping symptoms both hypothyroid and FMS have in common. I also have other autoimmune diseases; they seem to be piling up on me. I was recently diagnosed with LS (Lichen Sclerosis), another autoimmune disease.

Now to answer your question, LOL ~ Yes, there is a connection to thyroid problems (and autoimmune diseases in general) and endometriosis. I will paste a couple of excerpts below with links to the articles.

Best Wishes,
Sue

[url]http://www.healthscout.com/printerFriendly.asp?ap=419&id=509322[/url]

The connection of endometriosis with autoimmune inflammatory diseases was also of considerable interest to the researchers. They found, for example, that among women with endometriosis about one-fifth had more than one other disease and slightly more than 30 percent of those with co-existing diseases had also been diagnosed with either fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. Some of these women had other autoimmune or endocrine diseases as well.

"Chronic fatigue syndrome was more than a hundred times more common in women with endometriosis," Sinaii says. "Hypothyroidism -- that is, an underactive thyroid gland -- was seven times more common, fibromyalgia was twice as common, and autoimmune inflammatory diseases like systemic lupus erythematosus, Sjogren's syndrome, and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as multiple sclerosis, occurred more frequently."

"Hypothyroidism, which involves an underactive thyroid gland and causes mental and physical slowing, was seven times more common."

[url]http://www.komotv.com/healthwatch/story.asp?ID=20555[/url]

Old 01-24-2004, 03:40 PM   #5

mipps HB User
Re: hypo & endo? LINKS for you

I have wondered whether my blood group also has something to do what my health - I am A Rhesus negative. Does any of you also have a similar blood grouping?

Closed Thread