It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #1

webspinner HB User
Lightbulb Thyroid Nodules Disappearing

I would like to know if anyone else has ever had the following happen to them. August of 2003 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. Due to an enlarged thyroid I had an ultrasound done that indicated an 8 mm thyroid nodule on the upper left lobe. I was hypothyroid and started on thyroid replacement hormones. The doctor said to have a repeat ultrasound done in about 4 months to see if my thyroid and nodule shrink respectively. I had that repeat ultrasound done about 3 weeks ago but this time it showed I had a 1.2 cm nodule on the lower left lobe and a 1.8 cm nodule on the upper right pole and my thyroid was still very enlarged. The doctor wanted to have an FNA done right away. My appointment for the FNA was only 3 weeks after that last ultrasound and the doctor who was to do the FNA could not find either of the nodules via ultrasound. Considering the size of the nodules just 3 weeks ago he found it quite puzzling that they were no longer there...or that he couldn't find them. So obviously he was unable to perform the FNA which really bothered me because my grandmother had thyroid cancer in her early 30's and battled it on and off again until she died this past January. So what I am wondering is if anyone else has had these phantom nodules that disappeared like mine. My thyroid is also what they call heterogeneous throughout. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by webspinner; 02-06-2004 at 09:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #2

ltw HB User
Re: Thyroid Nodules Disappearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner
I would like to know if anyone else has ever had the followeing happen to them. August of 2003 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. Due to an enlarged thyroid I had an ultrasound done that indicated an 8 mm thyroid nodule on the upper left lobe. I was hypothyroid and started on thyroid replacement hormones. The doctor said to have a repeat ultrasound done in about 4 months to see if my thyroid and nodule shrink respectively. I had that repeat ultrasound done about 3 weeks ago but this time it showed I had a 1.2 cm nodule on the lower left lobe and a 1.8 cm nodule on the upper right pole and my thyroid was still very enlarged. The doctor wanted to have an FNA done right away. My appointment for the FNA was only 3 weeks after that last ultrasound and the doctor who was to do the FNA could not find either of the nodules via ultrasound. Considering the size of the nodules just 3 weeks ago he found it quite puzzling that they were no longer there...or that he couldn't find them. So obviously he was unable to perform the FNA which really bothered me because my grandmother had thyroid cancer in her early 30's and battled it on and off again until she died this past January. So what I am wondering is if anyone else has had these phamptom nodules that disappeared like mine. My thyroid is also what they call hetergenous throughout. Thanks in advance.
I didn't exactly have a phantom nodule, but experienced something similar. The first thing I noticed there is something wrong with my thyroid is there was a bump on my neck. It's quite visible. I didn't feel there is anything wrong with me, so I kindda ignored it at first.

I had an ultrasound a month later and they saw 2 nodules on my thyroid. I had an FNA shortly after that. After the procedure, the bump on my neck was gone! But my doctors still want me to go ahead with a thyroidectomy because the result of FNA was papillary carcinoma. The path report confirmed it.

The only explanation that they offered me was the bump was gone because of the FNA. The needle could have deflated whatever that caused the bump. I'm still not convinced though. But I'm glad I went through with the surgery.

May be you should get a second opinion from a different doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #3

webspinner HB User
Smile Re: Thyroid Nodules Disappearing

Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity do you happen to have or did you have Hashimoto Thyroiditis as well? I'm trying to get an idea of how prevalent thyroid cancer really is with thyroiditis. From what I've read it's very uncommon but if one does have thyroiditis and nodules it has a high chance of malignancy. Also, I've read recently that having Hashimoto puts one at higher risk of developing a different type of thyroid cancer called lymphoma. Which I never knew lymphoma was a form of thyroid cancer, I thought it was a completely separate cancer. Lymphoma is also known as non-Hodgkin's which is known to be hereditary unlike the most common forms of thyroid cancer (papillary and follicular). If anyone reading this who has Hashimoto with or without nodules can you share what has happened to you or list what other autoimmune diseases seemed to pop up after being diagnosed. My endo has strong suspicion that I may also rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis (not sure about the spelling). If the blood test come back negative then she thinks it may be fibromyalgia. Take care everyone.

Last edited by webspinner; 02-06-2004 at 09:33 PM.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #4

Cuibono HB User
Re: Thyroid Nodules Disappearing

Hi, I was diagnosed hyper/hypo Hashimoto's 3 1/2 years ago. Accordding to endo, I had been ill quite a while before dx'd. Next Wednesday, 2/18/04 I am having my thyroid removed totally. I have quite a few solid nodules crouping up despite medication for last 3 1/2 years (alternating doses from 88 to 125 using Levoxyl, Armour, Synthroid, Cytomel, Etc. etc. impossible to keep balanced). Due to the many unpleasant symptoms of my hypo/hyper problem and my particular family history of cancer, it was decided to remove the thyroid. By the way, none of my solid nodules are larger than 6 mm.

Just thought I'd share. Keep us posted on your condition and don't be afraid to post questions and test results.

Caroline

Closed Thread