It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
(female)

yock HB User
Alcohol and thyroid medicine - does it mix?

I've noticed on a few websites that talk about Armour (or thyroid medicine in general) that it says not to drink alcohol if taking thyroid medicine. Does anyone know why? The articles never say why. I enjoy an occasional glass of wine or beer now and then and want to know if this is a problem. Does anyone else on this board drink alcohol, and has it ever been a problem with their thyroid medicine. I'll quit my glass of wine altogether if I think it's causing a problem interacting with my Armour.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Alcohol and thyroid medicine - does it mix?

I read your question shortly after you posted it, but I had no clue as to the answer. So I've been googling around and have found hardly any reference to thyroid meds and alcohol. Searched up, down, all around, and in between. The only thing coming close is a little information on the sites that sell meds without Rx... and I don't much value what they say.

I've dug out the prescribing info from my Synthroid and Armour, and there is nothing there about occasional drinking. Nothing on their websites mentions it. There is nothing in my hypoT books about it. And there is nothing on the mainstream thyroid educational websites about it. Seems like if it were in any way harmful, someone would have something to say about it.
Speaking for myself, I'll continue to have the occasional wine or beer with special dinners.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 03:49 AM   #3
(female)

BonBe HB User

well DITTO to that as well. I enjoy a glass of wine with meals, and also the occasional drink as well. I have never found info, nor does my pharamcist do anything but raise his eyebrows (he obv is not a drinker) haha but I have found no one to state any diff. Either they drink, or they don't.

all things in MODERATION

BonBe

Old 02-10-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
(male)

sladedog HB User

well my doc didn't say anything to me when she prescribed me the meds and I forgot to ask ( I still like to drink as well!) so I asked my pharmacist and he said there would be no problem with drinking... moderation would be the key eh....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBe
well DITTO to that as well. I enjoy a glass of wine with meals, and also the occasional drink as well. I have never found info, nor does my pharamcist do anything but raise his eyebrows (he obv is not a drinker) haha but I have found no one to state any diff. Either they drink, or they don't.

all things in MODERATION

BonBe

Old 02-10-2004, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

I love red wine. Cabernet Savignon, or Merlot, a glass with dinner. I only TRY to stay away from it, because when I drink, I tend to eat more, and I am still stuck at 155 lbs. I have not had any problems drinking, either wine, beer or gin & tonic. I am one of those people who cannot drink more than a couple of drinks before my face turns bright red, so I only drink 2 at the most.

Mintchoc

Old 02-10-2004, 08:17 PM   #6

miller01 HB User

I don't have an answer for you. But as for me I like to drink white wine. I do notice that if I drink a couple of glasses more than usual, I am really dragging the next day. I have cut down alot (and have lost some weight too).

Something new for me is hard alcohol. I used to be able to drink and not have a problem. When I have a "tropical" drink with rum, I wake up in the middle of night with serious heart palps. And then I think why did I even drink that?

That gets me thinking that alcohol is bad for the adrenals. Which makes sense to me. Adrenals and thyroid go together. Maybe not drinking helps both.

I don't know if I helped you. Maybe got you thinking in the right direction. Good luck!

Closed Thread