It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

yock HB User
alcohol and thyroid medicine - part 2

Ok, here's the part of an article I saw on alcohol and thyroid medicine....It was on a website where you buy prescriptions online. I just copied and pasted if off the website. The part about alcohol is near the end. They make it seem like you're not suppose to drink at all. Geez, figures, I'm going to a wine tasting/chocolate party this Valentine's weekend....

Before taking thyroid,

tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to thyroid; foods such as pork, beef, soybean oil, or corn; or any other drugs.
tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially amphetamines, anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin), arthritis medications, aspirin, cholesterol-lowering resins such as cholestyramine (Questran) or colestipol (Colestid), diabetes medications (insulin and tablets), digoxin (Lanoxin), estrogens, oral contraceptives, steroids, and vitamins.
if you take cholestyramine (Questran) or colestipol (Colestid), take it at least 4 hours before or 1 hour after taking your thyroid medication.
tell your doctor if you have or have ever had diabetes; hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis); kidney disease; hepatitis; cardiovascular disease such as high blood pressure, chest pain (angina), arrhythmias, or heart attack; or an underactive adrenal or pituitary gland.
tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking thyroid, call your doctor.
if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking thyroid.
tell your doctor if you drink alcoholic beverages. It is important not to drink alcohol while taking thyroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: alcohol and thyroid medicine - part 2

All I can say is that I do drink occasionally, and it has had no adverse affect. It should be evident that getting sloshed each and every day wouldn't be a good thing for any of the bodily systems, including thyroid function.

Also, we can't really know what it is these sites are selling. Is it actually equivalent to genuine Armour or Synthroid prescription products? I doubt it. And since the prescription product inserts make no mention of avoiding alcohol completely, I don't feel it's necessary.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

BonBe HB User

You know what? On all the new (given out at yearly intervals with my meds) I get a sheet with recommendations from the manufacture, and on this they tell of alllllll stuff that could/would/may/or maynot happen side effects and all.

We also have the labelling policy that the pharmacists would add to the label on the bottle any strange things....like stay out of the sun, do not consume alcohol whilst taking these meds, do not take on empty/full stomach I am assuming all countries are the same?

No where in all these years of getting this pamplet have I read about alcohol and thyroid replacement (of course I am not on the armour) but a friend
who lives in the States, is, and she enjoys the odd glass of wine.

The same as every non TD person...Moderation. Booze speeds you up for the time you are drinking but slows one down if you consume too much (those all day hangovers of my youth. I know my tolerance has gone way down. Two small amounts of Baily's would give me a wicked hangover, yet one (just a sherry glass size) is fine. It could be my age, or it could be Thyroid issues, either way I feel I am in no way a hazard to my health.

BonBe

Old 02-11-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

yock HB User

Ok, enough of this subject....moderation, moderation, moderation!!!!! Guess I'll enjoy the wine and chocolate this weekend after all.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

BonBe HB User

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY and have a chocolate truffle for me....nice ICE wine too? yum

Old 02-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

I take armour, I am in the States, and I enjoy wine and chocolates!
Couldn't resist to answer this one, ha, ha.

Mintchoc

Closed Thread