It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User
Unhappy Heart Palpitations Could this be Thyroid???

Hello.. Please help. Heart Palpitations, jittery feeling, last about 1/2 an hour. Just started going through Peri-menopause. I was told by my Gyno to have my md hook me to a 24hour heart monitor to be on the safe side. But I find out from a friend that she has a Thyroid problem and she has heart palpitations, and feeling jittery... she is on meds now. I know I will need test for this, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had these same symptoms or more. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.. Janatee :

Old 02-26-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

opalfire HB User
Re: Heart Palpitations Could this be Thyroid???

Hi Jan! Welcome!!
You could be having symptoms or either hyper or hypo. I've had both types of symptoms before starting on medication.
Here's the lab tests that you want to ask for:
Free T3, Free T4, TSH and Antibodies.
All four need to be ordered and if your doctor bucks on you, find another one. Often doctors want to order a whole panel of useless tests, or just want to order a TSH just to prove that there's nothing wrong with your thyroid. However, the TSH only shows pituitary reaction to the level of thyroid in your blood at that time. The "normals" are very controversial at this time, and over the years have been lowered over and over again. You could argue that the lab tests have become more accurate, but why is it that for every patient with thyroid problems, there's two more out there undiagnosed and suffering from the symptoms?
As for these tests, you should be in the upper ranges of normals for both the FT3 and FT4. Your TSH may sink quite low before you feel good....it's not a biggie. Especially women tend to feel better once they're below "1". Doctors that have no clue panic at that. More's the reason you need a doctor that listens to you and your symptoms. Run if he starts making suggestions that it's in your head or wants to medicate you without this bloodwork!
Post your lab work.....with the lab ranges.....when you get them. Ask for copies....they have to give them to you!
Good luck! Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #3

Teph HB User

Chest pains and Heart palps can be caused by thyroid.. The other thing is that MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse). This cause one of the valves are flippy floppy not a big deal may show up more when your thyroid is causeing you problems. If it doesn't go away with meds you can suggest a Ecgo done. I was diagnosed MVP just need to take meds during srgry and after for a week and same thing with any dental. Tell your family Doctor and He can order a Ecgo and if anything comes of it then you see a Cardi-doc and then they do a stress test (easy) and tell you that you will need meds like I said and if you dont have any chest pain then see ya when you do. It is good to get a work up when you find out you have Thyroid cause it can affect the heart in other ways..

Old 02-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #4

Renee' HB User

I've had the Ecco (sp) test, and a Holter Monitor too cause I get palps from time to time. And my heart beat sometimes pounds in my chest for a few seconds sometimes, and I also get bi-jemini (sp) from time to time. My heart is "fine" according to two different heart doctors. So, my GP figures it must be my hypothyroid. But it is nice to have those heart tests just to make sure!

Old 02-27-2004, 04:54 AM   #5
(female)

LIND HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janatee
Hello.. Please help. Heart Palpitations, jittery feeling, last about 1/2 an hour. Just started going through Peri-menopause. I was told by my Gyno to have my md hook me to a 24hour heart monitor to be on the safe side. But I find out from a friend that she has a Thyroid problem and she has heart palpitations, and feeling jittery... she is on meds now. I know I will need test for this, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had these same symptoms or more. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.. Janatee :
Janatee,

I am on a hear monitor as we speak. I know exactly how you feel. It's very scary. Everyone thought I was peri-menopausal until they found a hot nodule which is causing my thyroid to be hyper. Wouldn't you know that since the monitor is on me "no palp's" go figure. Anyway peri-menopause and thyroid problems are almost identical. Educate yourself about both. You know your body better than anyone. Don't assume its one thing when it could be something else. Have your heart checked, and thyroid test done. This board is so imformative. If it wasn't for this board I would not know half of the questions to ask my doctor. I thought I was going crazy. I told my doctor to take every possible test and leave no stone unturned. He was actually said to me if all the test come back fine then maybe you need a mood stablizer. "I don't think so". Proved him wrong. Good Luck.

LIND

Old 02-27-2004, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIND
Janatee,

I am on a hear monitor as we speak. Wouldn't you know that since the monitor is on me "no palp's" go figure.
LIND
Lind,
I know what you mean, when on the monitor its seems like there are no palps. I was on a monitor a couple of months back, no palps, or so I thought, the monitor will pick up things you don't even feel.
Palps are very common with thyroid problems, especially when the levels are off.

Closed Thread