It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

sivyaleah HB User
Can You Have A Thyroid Problem with Negative Tests?

I've been having many symptoms indicitive of a thyroid problem for several years, mostly I believe hyperactive. My dad had an overactive thyroid his whole life and my younger sister was diagnosed at a very young age (10ish) with an underactive one, so obviously it runs in the family. My mom also developed problems later in life (underactive).

I've been tested and everything appears normal, however I suffer from intolerance to heat (especially problematic), general itchiness, dry skin, racing heart at times, anxiety, fatigued, boils, etc. The only weird thing is I'm not losing weight, I've gained quite a bit over the past few years (tho this frankly is probably more due to other factors not worth going into here).

Has anyone else ever tested negative but later was found out to have a thyroid issue? I've been feeling so rotten, and I'm trying to figure out what other avenues to follow to help myself at this point.

Thanks!
Laurie

Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Can You Have A Thyroid Problem with Negative Tests?

With your family history, it would be a surprise if you don't have a problem.

Your comment that you aren't losing weight gives me a feeling that you think you're problem is hyper, like your dad's. But it just may be hypo instead. These symptoms cross over from one to the other, especially with autoimmune hypoT.

There is no such thing as a "negative" test. The results come by degrees, and if a doctor is inept in thyroid matters, he'll never be able to tell you if your level of "degree" is right for you. And believe me, there are far more inept doctors when it comes to thyroid than there are good ones. Ask anyone on this board.

Educate yourself about thyroid disease, as much as you can possibly absorb. Then get tested... the right tests. These would be TSH, free T4 and free T3 (not "total" T4 and T3), and anti-thyroid antibodies (TPO and TG). Don't let the doctor tell you they're all "normal". To him, that means they're within a huge lab range that includes most of the population... It does not mean they're good levels for you.

If you've had any tests done recently and you want to post the results here (along with the lab's reference ranges), someone may be able to tell you what your doctor is missing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I agree with Midwest, you really need more testing and a more educated dr. The average GP doesn't not know enough about thyroid problems to diagnose or treat, if the patient complains enough or has out of range test results then they send you to an endo, but if not, you can suffer for a long time before your test results suggest to a GP that you need treatment.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Can You Have A Thyroid Problem with Negative Tests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea4
I agree with Midwest, you really need more testing and a more educated dr. The average GP doesn't not know enough about thyroid problems to diagnose or treat, if the patient complains enough or has out of range test results then they send you to an endo, but if not, you can suffer for a long time before your test results suggest to a GP that you need treatment.
i agree with midwest and dea, and if you do have numbers, post them ... and just so you don't think all GPs are inept, mine isn't, and i think it's the luck of the draw ...

jb

Old 03-03-2004, 05:31 AM   #5
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Absolutely. I suffered for many, many, many years with "normal" thyroid results. I am hypo, and it took a good doctor to diagnose me and realize that my TSH had to be below the "normal" range for me to feel good. She does not treat me by how the numbers look, but by the way I feel.

I was diagnosed with a TSH of 3.0, and now my TSH is 0.004. The "normal" range is (.3 - 3.0).

What are the numbers of your "negative" results, post them here and someone can help you interpret the results.

Good luck!

Mintchoc

Old 03-03-2004, 05:58 AM   #6
(female)

sivyaleah HB User

Thanks everyone for responding! I'm going to try and find my test results - they must be somewhere in my house, or I'll try and call my Dr. If I get them, I'll post them here and see if anyone can tell anything from it.

Thanks a million! As always, people on these health boards are wonderfully well-informed and helpful!

Laurie

Old 03-03-2004, 06:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
i agree with midwest and dea, and if you do have numbers, post them ... and just so you don't think all GPs are inept, mine isn't, and i think it's the luck of the draw ...

jb
True not ALL GPs are inept, but a LOT are, some actually go for further training on thyroid so they know more. My GP has a thyroid condition herself so she is more educated, but as JB said, its the luck of the draw to actually find one of these.

Closed Thread