It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 05:06 PM   #1

becky c HB User
Feeling of thickness in my neck

I have had thyroid cancer twice. The last surgery was way back in 1980. I'm being followed by an endo - all tests to this point have been fine. I take 150mgs of Synthyroid. Off and on for the last few weeks I will periodically become aware that there is a tight feeling/slight discomfort along my old scar. Particularly in the center. Today the sensation was constant - it feels as if I have a very tight necklace on or someone is reaching around my neck and squeezing me neck - but only along the incision line. I called my endo and they could not get me in before my previously scheduled April 5th appointment. The nurse did recommend I attempt to get into my internist. I called and got in immediately. She was not for sure but scheduled me for an thyroid ultrasound Mon the 8th. Has anyone out there experienced similiar discomfort. I realize most persons on this site have had their surgery much much later than I had mine. Any ideas or comments about similar circumstances would be appreciated.
Becky

Old 03-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ladywolfe HB User
Re: Feeling of thickness in my neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky c
I have had thyroid cancer twice. The last surgery was way back in 1980. I'm being followed by an endo - all tests to this point have been fine. I take 150mgs of Synthyroid. Off and on for the last few weeks I will periodically become aware that there is a tight feeling/slight discomfort along my old scar. Particularly in the center. Today the sensation was constant - it feels as if I have a very tight necklace on or someone is reaching around my neck and squeezing me neck - but only along the incision line. I called my endo and they could not get me in before my previously scheduled April 5th appointment. The nurse did recommend I attempt to get into my internist. I called and got in immediately. She was not for sure but scheduled me for an thyroid ultrasound Mon the 8th. Has anyone out there experienced similiar discomfort. I realize most persons on this site have had their surgery much much later than I had mine. Any ideas or comments about similar circumstances would be appreciated.
Becky

Hey there Becky, and welcome

You said that you had surgery for thyroid cancer...did you have your thyroid, or part of your thyroid removed at that time?

I had my entire thyroid removed in December of this past year. When talking to my surgeon about possible complications with the healing process, he told me that there might be a lot of internal scarring, that could cause my incision to feel tight or uncomfortable down the road.
This did not (and has not) happened, thank goodness.

I wish I could tell you what was going on with you...and I hope that the ultrasound on Monday can give you some relief.

Please post back and let us know how things turn out.

HUGS
also...come back and post often, you'll find lots of support here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 08:15 PM   #3

becky c HB User
Re: Feeling of thickness in my neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywolfe
Hey there Becky, and welcome

You said that you had surgery for thyroid cancer...did you have your thyroid, or part of your thyroid removed at that time?

I had my entire thyroid removed in December of this past year. When talking to my surgeon about possible complications with the healing process, he told me that there might be a lot of internal scarring, that could cause my incision to feel tight or uncomfortable down the road.
This did not (and has not) happened, thank goodness.

I wish I could tell you what was going on with you...and I hope that the ultrasound on Monday can give you some relief.

Please post back and let us know how things turn out.

HUGS
also...come back and post often, you'll find lots of support here.

Thanks for the response. I have posted a while back with a question regarding having thyroid cancer, taking Synthyroid and having diabetes. I also have Type 2 diabetes - under control with diet and exercise.

I had the right side and part of the ismus (sp) taken out the first time (1975) they said it was papillary. Then in 1980 - symtoms returned and they removed the rest as well as some lymph nodes in my neck as the cancer had mestastized. So I have no gland at all. I was wondering about scar tissue but it sure seems like a longgggg time - 24 years. But it sure feels something like that - there's no gland in there to grow. It will prove interesting. I will let you folks know. I really like this site. There certainly are a lot of people with similar problems. Thank you again for the support.

Becky

Closed Thread