It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User
Weather changes?

Has anyone noticed a change in how you feel depending on the weather? If so, any idea why the weather would be affecting you? I don't know if it's just coincidence, but the thought has popped into my head before. Yesterday was rainy and dark. Today is sunny and warm. Today I feel much better than I did yesterday. I have hypersensitivity to the light in my eyes, also hypersensitive to body temps, guess it probably follows that I could be hypersensitive to light in other ways?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User
Re: Weather changes?

Hypersensitivity to light is one of the hypo symptoms. Absolutely, the weather affects people's mood. There is a something called SAD (seasonal affective disorder) that affects some people. In the winter they get depressed. I know all about it because that is one of the disorders I was misdiagnosed with, before the thyroid dysfunction was discovered. As it turned out I even bought one of those lights that supposedly help people with SAD, it is soo bright that it gave me an instant headache mostly because I am hypersensitive to artificial lights because of hypoT.

Today is sunny and 70 degrees, it is absolutely gorgeous! I went out at lunch time, and took a loooong break. You can feel the sun warm up the skin. I love it! and yes, I am in a good mood.

Mintchoc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchocolate
Hypersensitivity to light is one of the hypo symptoms. Absolutely, the weather affects people's mood. There is a something called SAD (seasonal affective disorder) that affects some people. In the winter they get depressed. I know all about it because that is one of the disorders I was misdiagnosed with, before the thyroid dysfunction was discovered. As it turned out I even bought one of those lights that supposedly help people with SAD, it is soo bright that it gave me an instant headache mostly because I am hypersensitive to artificial lights because of hypoT.

Today is sunny and 70 degrees, it is absolutely gorgeous! I went out at lunch time, and took a loooong break. You can feel the sun warm up the skin. I love it! and yes, I am in a good mood.

Mintchoc
I'm wondering if it affects more than mood. I'm not as fatigued today. Maybe it's not the sunlight, but the atmospheric pressure instead. Cause I woke up feeling better. Before daylight. I don't know though. I felt a couple of short periods yesterday where I thought I might be feeling a little better. So I guess it's probably a coincidence. Light has bothered me for years. Driving at night is scary too.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMomMom
I'm wondering if it affects more than mood. I'm not as fatigued today. Maybe it's not the sunlight, but the atmospheric pressure instead. Cause I woke up feeling better. Before daylight. I don't know though. I felt a couple of short periods yesterday where I thought I might be feeling a little better. So I guess it's probably a coincidence. Light has bothered me for years. Driving at night is scary too.

Perhaps it is the Vitamin D that we get from the sun that lifts our spirits!!

Old 03-05-2004, 02:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Cold vs hot weather affects the thyroid, not sure which one goes which way but in one season some need more thyroid hormone than in the other, if I remember right it was in winter needing more and summer needing less, could be wrong, might be the other way around. I remember MEEP posting something about that longer ago.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea4
in winter needing more and summer needing less, could be wrong, might be the other way around.
You got it right. In the summer you need less also because the meds might make you feel too warm. My doc mentioned that she wanted to see me in the spring to maybe reduce my meds, depending on how I felt, right before the hot months. My TSH is 0.004 and I feel good, but she was concerned that I would feel hot in the summer.

Mintchoc

Old 03-05-2004, 02:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Angry Re: Weather changes?

i read a piece in a national newspaper here that weather changes affect TD no matter what ... cold weather: hypo symptoms, hot weather: hypo symptoms ...

i had a major relapse last fall, and am expecting one this summer (i had one last summer) ... you see, the weather affects our immune systems big time, and we have to dress warmly in the winter or we get colds/bronchitis/laryngitis (just getting over a bout of that now and it began on jan. 2nd!!), and stay cool in the summer (the dreaded bloat and summer exhaustion) ...

i've always been affected by the weather, and moreso now that i have TD ...

we must be careful with anything that puts a stress on our immune system -- what normally would just be a minor cold turns into a sinus infection and fever ... take lots of vitamin C and D and zinc and folic acid (etc. -- really don't recall - i just take the damned stuff), take care with getting overtired and doing too much, plan carefully, and with a little help, perhaps you won't get sick ... or perhaps you will, but you'll have expected it ...

jb

Old 03-07-2004, 07:30 AM   #8
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:

Hi,

If it's not too much trouble you should check out the barometric pressure. It affects everything and because we have a problem with retaining water it will affect us. I have thyroid eye disease and have noticed that the barometric pressure gives me problems with my vision and I have always retained water and this is all affected by the barometric pressure. You will also note that it also affects everyone else, they just aren't as sensitive to it as we are. Let me know what you think. I have been experimenting with this theory for about 5 years and it has proven out true almost 100% of the time. I know when the weather is going to change before it's on the weather station.

This is alittle experiment we can do together, let me know how things go

Old 03-07-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: Weather changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickapro1999
Hi,

If it's not too much trouble you should check out the barometric pressure. It affects everything and because we have a problem with retaining water it will affect us. I have thyroid eye disease and have noticed that the barometric pressure gives me problems with my vision and I have always retained water and this is all affected by the barometric pressure. You will also note that it also affects everyone else, they just aren't as sensitive to it as we are. Let me know what you think. I have been experimenting with this theory for about 5 years and it has proven out true almost 100% of the time. I know when the weather is going to change before it's on the weather station.

This is alittle experiment we can do together, let me know how things go
i've always been sensitive to barometric pressure too, and i get migraines because of it ... what is "thyroid eye disease"? i have a little blurring of my eyes occasionally ... of course i'm more sensitive to barometric pressure changes now that i'm hypo ...

what i meant in my previous post was "seasonal changes" -- winter/summer, cold/hot -- affects me dreadfully, and much worse now that i'm hypo ...

jb

Old 03-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #10
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
i've always been sensitive to barometric pressure too, and i get migraines because of it ... what is "thyroid eye disease"? i have a little blurring of my eyes occasionally ... of course i'm more sensitive to barometric pressure changes now that i'm hypo ...

what i meant in my previous post was "seasonal changes" -- winter/summer, cold/hot -- affects me dreadfully, and much worse now that i'm hypo ...

jb

Thyroid eye disease is when your thyroid produces an antibodies that attack your eyes. Have you ever seen a hyperT patient that had bulging eyes. That's what I had but no hyperT, after 7 surgeries I am as OK as they can get me. My situation was a bit extreme and very excelerated, I almost went blind within a matter of months, but that is not the norm. Don't worry it is not something that happens on a regular basis just once in awhile. Doctors from the U of M did seminars on my case because it was so unusual. I understand about the weather because I have a type of S.A.D. I use a tanning bed that I own to try and keep my spirits up. Yes I know it is not that good for you either but I calculated the risk and decided it was worth it. I only use it a couple of times per week for my attitude for about 10 minutes. I was in the business for about 15 years and have studied and researched the subject. I even have documentation from the government.

Sorry didn't mean to get off the subject of weather.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:31 PM   #11
(female)

BonBe HB User

gee....yesterday here was mild and grey but oh so warm Ontario's version of Chinooks. That is my story and I am sticking to it. But today (Sunday) a bloody blizzard (yep snow) and temp sunk to 32F or Zero C. brrrr even turned on the fire place to warm up the upper floors of the house.

I think sunshine plays a great role in our lives too. No SADD here!!! we had a very sunny winter, cold yep but heaps of sunshine. Mintchocolate which state do you live in California? for such lovely warm day yesterday.

Bonnie

Old 03-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

Thanks all for the great info. An amazing disease, I must say, as I sit here scratching my itchy neck skin! So many things affected by it. I don't know how much help I'll be in tracking this, but if I notice it again, I'll let you know. I'm having such a hard time separating what is actually causing what.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: Weather changes?

Quote:
Thanks all for the great info. An amazing disease, I must say, as I sit here scratching my itchy neck skin! So many things affected by it. I don't know how much help I'll be in tracking this, but if I notice it again, I'll let you know. I'm having such a hard time separating what is actually causing what.
yes, i do too, so i've decided that TD causes everything and you know what? works for me!!

seriously tho', folks -- i think it causes almost everything (except cancer and tuberculosis), and you can bet there's a link there too -- a shattered immune system -- indirect cause of ... everything?

jb

Old 03-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: Weather changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickapro1999
Thyroid eye disease is when your thyroid produces an antibodies that attack your eyes. Have you ever seen a hyperT patient that had bulging eyes. That's what I had but no hyperT, after 7 surgeries I am as OK as they can get me. My situation was a bit extreme and very excelerated, I almost went blind within a matter of months, but that is not the norm. Don't worry it is not something that happens on a regular basis just once in awhile. Doctors from the U of M did seminars on my case because it was so unusual. I understand about the weather because I have a type of S.A.D. I use a tanning bed that I own to try and keep my spirits up. Yes I know it is not that good for you either but I calculated the risk and decided it was worth it. I only use it a couple of times per week for my attitude for about 10 minutes. I was in the business for about 15 years and have studied and researched the subject. I even have documentation from the government.

Sorry didn't mean to get off the subject of weather.
wow ... you've been thru' the mill, haven't you!!

there's a controversy now, about tanning beds ... i take 3 units of vitamin D, but am now wondering if a tanning bed wouldn't help me more ... the vitamin D helps with the conversion of calcium, but not with SADD, and as i don't go outdoors very much in the winter (too cold! brrrrr!) ... i'm wondering, if a tanning bed wouldn't help with the little depression i have left over ...

jb

Old 03-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

There are light boxes that are supposed to help that do not have the skin-damaging effects of the tanning beds. I cannot remember where I did my research, but when I lived in San Francisco, I bought one from an outfit in Canada (such a lack of sun all the time up there!). I did alot of research about the light boxes and SAD first, though. You have to be sure to buy the right type with enough oomph. I can't even remember the terminology, but I am lucky enough now to live in Southern California (although I did love S.F.)

As for weather changes in general, I get severe, severe headaches and sinusitis when rain is coming. And I am very affected by the weather, physically and mentally. I believe this is another symptom of my yet-to-be-determined thyroid problem.

rosie

Last edited by rosietee; 03-11-2004 at 12:43 AM. Reason: "*****," meaning cloudy, was deleted as a bad word

Closed Thread