It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #1

lovethecrue HB User
TSH 17.5 What does this mean?

My TSH came back 17.5, but I believe all my other levels were fine. I can identify with the sudden weight gain, but I'm not sure if that has to do with my thyroid. Anyway, does the 17.5 mean I am hypo? What does it mean?

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #2

lovethecrue HB User
Re: TSH 17.5 What does this mean?

Is it underactive?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Inactive

MauraL HB User

Please post all your thyroid tests with the reference ranges listed on the lab report.

A TSH of 17+ is definitely hypo, but how hypo you are depends upon the actual thyroid hormone tests. TSH is a pituitary hormone.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #4

lovethecrue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauraL
Please post all your thyroid tests with the reference ranges listed on the lab report.

A TSH of 17+ is definitely hypo, but how hypo you are depends upon the actual thyroid hormone tests. TSH is a pituitary hormone.
I don't have the figures, but I know everything else falls in between the averages. The only thing off is my THS of 17.5. 2 years ago it was 9.5 and my doctor told me not worry about it.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecrue
I don't have the figures, but I know everything else falls in between the averages. The only thing off is my THS of 17.5. 2 years ago it was 9.5 and my doctor told me not worry about it.
That's not good news when your doctor tells you that. He's ignoring your symptoms, of which you have plenty I'm sure....including the weight gain. How's your sleeping pattern, sinuses acting up, hair getting thinner, skin dry? Am I making my point?
Find a doctor that will do Free T3 and Free T4's. They should be in the upper normal ranges of your labwork. Also...ask for copies, they have to give them to you. This is too important not to know.
I just got mine done and they look like this:
Free T4 0.7 (.58-1.64) This one should be around 1 - 1.5.
Free T3 3.3 (3.5-7.7) This one should read about 6.5 - 7.
Can you see what I'm explaining?
I just started on Armour (T3 - 20% and T4 - 80% of each tablet) thyroid last month and have to wait at least 6 weeks before I can be retested as it takes that long for the T4 level to go up to dosage level. I will have Cytomel (all T3) added if my FT3 hasn't come up enough.
Often doctors stick you with Synthroid which is all T4 and you don't feel better so they increase it, or decrease it. They don't do the correct tests and just guess or do the wrong ones that mean nothing and then tell you that you don't have a problem. RESIST! Among other issues is that your "bad" cholesterol may rise over the years.....plus gain weight (sometimes not).
Keep us posted!

Old 03-08-2004, 06:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you want to live well with your hypothyroidism, you're probably going to have to switch doctors. Yours is an idiot. The American Assn of Clinical Endocrinologists released its opinion in 2002 that says TSH levels above 3.0 are suspect for hypothyroidism and treatment should seriously be considered.

Ninety-five percent of the population's hormone levels fall between the "average" on those lab tests. You must find out your levels of free T4 and free T3 are in order to know what your thyroid is doing... or not doing, in this case. If they are below the median value in the lab range, they're probably too low. With a TSH as high as yours, I'd say they assuredly are low.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:46 AM   #7

lovethecrue HB User

I believe the t3 and t4 were normal, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I remember 2 years ago when my TSH came back at 9.7 they said that my brain was shooting too many horomones, but my other levels looked fine...so don't worry about it. The reason I got those tests done was because I started to suffer from severe anxiety, that prevented me from sleeping and had ocd symptoms. They treated me for anxiety, and said the thyroid had nothing to do with it. If I have only the high 17.5 TSH and all my other numbers are average, how would they treat this?

Old 03-09-2004, 05:48 AM   #8

lovethecrue HB User

Oh, and I definetly have the thinning hair, a lot recently. Will it grow back after being treated?

My cholesterol came back at 300. I couldn't believe that considering that I was running 3 miles everyday over the summer and the fall. And I'm 28 years old, and never had weight problems in my life until this thyroid TSH level came up. They didn't test my trygliserides, but 2 years ago they were 450. Do you think this is all related to the TSH?

Last edited by lovethecrue; 03-09-2004 at 05:53 AM.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:20 AM   #9
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecrue
Oh, and I definetly have the thinning hair, a lot recently. Will it grow back after being treated?

My cholesterol came back at 300. I couldn't believe that considering that I was running 3 miles everyday over the summer and the fall. And I'm 28 years old, and never had weight problems in my life until this thyroid TSH level came up. They didn't test my trygliserides, but 2 years ago they were 450. Do you think this is all related to the TSH?

You are definitely hypo. Anxiety, high colesterol comes from hypothyroidism. Your TSH is way too high. If you are treated for hypo the anxiety and all other symptoms will go away. If the TSH is that high, I can bet that the FT3 and FT4 are not "normal". Get those results and post them with the ranges.

I would recommend reading about hypothyroidism there are a number of good books "The Thyroid solution".

The treatment for hypo is taking a pill a day of either T4 or a combination of T3/T4. Those are thyroid hormones.

These are hypo symptoms, they go away with the right treatment.
My risk factors for hypothyroidism include:

[ ] I have a family history of thyroid disease
[ ] I have had my thyroid "monitored" in the past to watch for changes
[ ] I had a previous diagnosis of goiters/nodules
[ ] I currently have a goiter
[ ] I was treated for hypothyroidism in the past
[ ] I had post-partum thyroiditis in the past
[ ] I had a temporary thyroiditis in the past
[ ] I have another autoimmune disease
[ ] I have had a baby in the past nine months
[ ] I have a history of miscarriage
[ ] I have had part/all of my thyroid removed due to cancer
[ ] I have had part/all of my thyroid removed due to nodules
[ ] I have had part/all of my thyroid removed due to Graves' Disease/hyperthyroidism
[ ] I have had radioactive iodine due to Graves' Disease/hyperthyroidism
[ ] I have had anti-thyroid drugs due to Graves' Disease/hyperthyroidism

I have the following symptoms of hypothyroidism, as detailed by the Merck Manual, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and the Thyroid Foundation of America

[ ] I am gaining weight inappropriately
[ ] I'm unable to lose weight with diet/exercise
[ ] I am constipated, sometimes severely
[ ] I have hypothermia/low body temperature (I feel cold when others feel hot, I need extra sweaters, etc.)
[ ] I feel fatigued, exhausted
[ ] Feeling run down, sluggish, lethargic
[ ] My hair is coarse and dry, breaking, brittle, falling out
[ ] My skin is coarse, dry, scaly, and thick
[ ] I have a hoarse or gravely voice
[ ] I have puffiness and swelling around the eyes and face
[ ] I have pains, aches in joints, hands and feet
[ ] I have developed carpal-tunnel syndrome, or it's getting worse
[ ] I am having irregular menstrual cycles (longer, or heavier, or more frequent)
[ ] I am having trouble conceiving a baby
[ ] I feel depressed
[ ] I feel restless
[ ] My moods change easily
[ ] I have feelings of worthlessness
[ ] I have difficulty concentrating
[ ] I have more feelings of sadness
[ ] I seem to be losing interest in normal daily activities
[ ] I'm more forgetful lately

I also have the following additional symptoms, which have been reported more frequently in people with hypothyroidism:

[ ] My hair is falling out
[ ] I can't seem to remember things
[ ] I have no sex drive
[ ] I am getting more frequent infections, that last longer
[ ] I'm snoring more lately
[ ] I have/may have sleep apnea
[ ] I feel shortness of breath and tightness in the chest
[ ] I feel the need to yawn to get oxygen
[ ] My eyes feel gritty and dry
[ ] My eyes feel sensitive to light
[ ] My eyes get jumpy/tics in eyes, which makes me dizzy/vertigo and have headaches
[ ] I have strange feelings in neck or throat
[ ] I have tinnitus (ringing in ears)
[ ] I get recurrent sinus infections
[ ] I have vertigo
[ ] I feel some lightheadedness
[ ] I have severe menstrual cramps

Old 03-09-2004, 07:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Lovethecrue -- No, you didn't understand my answer. Almost everyone's T4 and T3 will fall within the "normal" range of a lab report, but nowhere near "everyone" will be healthy in that range. People with levels within the normal range but at the low end of "normal" are going to feel symptoms; that's why you have anxiety, high cholesterol, and falling hair... along with a whole host of symptoms that you probably think aren't related but actually are.
If there's one thing all of us on this board can't stress enough, it's that you must read and educate yourself as much as possible about hypothyroidism, because in most cases you will be able to learn more than the doctors themselves. In med school, they spend about an hour on thyroid disease... Then they "wing it" from there. And we become the victims of that ignorance.

High TSH isn't the cause of your problem... Low thyroid levels are, and TSH just signals that the thyroid levels are low.

Please listen to us. You need to find out those levels from the past, and you need new tests now. Don't let them tell you everything's "normal" without giving you a copy of the lab report. You must find out what the numbers are so you can investigate them yourself. If you post the results here, someone can tell you what your stupid doctors are missing.

Old 03-09-2004, 10:35 AM   #11

lovethecrue HB User

June 2001 test

TSH 9.7
FT4 1.6
chol 240

What does this mean?

Closed Thread