It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 08:57 PM   #1

~Belle~ HB User
Question Will hair grow back? Please help

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in October of 03 and hashimotos in Jan 04. I am taking 100mg of synthroid since January, recently I started loosing tons of hair really bad. It is starting to thin all over. I am also pregnant with my 3rd child (first with hypo). Will the hair that has been lost grow back once my levels become regulated. I have also read that hairloss is a side effect of synthroid, should I consider switching to another med like armour?

Please help

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User
Re: Will hair grow back? Please help

Belle, I can't answer yet as to the synthroid, but I have had hairloss while nursing exactly 6 months after the birth of both of my girls. It did end up growing back, but it wasn't a pretty sight! (imagine tiny little spikes of hair all over my head--my hair is all one length so I didn't have bangs to hide it.) And I mean I lost handfuls. Now it is thick again (the little spikes are like 4 inches long now). So maybe if it is a hormonal thing related to your pregnancy, it will grow back when you are at a different stage. Not sure what impact synthroid might have on it, but you might be in a unique hormonal state in light of your pregnancy even on the meds, that could change later and your hair could grow back. So that is the pregnancy aspect, and I am sure that there are many more knowledgeable people with regards to the meds aspect.

Good luck!
rosie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2004, 01:24 AM   #3

shadow2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Belle~
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in October of 03 and hashimotos in Jan 04. I am taking 100mg of synthroid since January, recently I started loosing tons of hair really bad. It is starting to thin all over. I am also pregnant with my 3rd child (first with hypo). Will the hair that has been lost grow back once my levels become regulated. I have also read that hairloss is a side effect of synthroid, should I consider switching to another med like armour?

Please help

Thanks
Hi Belle! I am so sorry about your hair falling out. My hair started falling out when I was 17. I was later diagnosed with Hashi's and put on synthroid. It gradually helped. Now my hair is back to normal, except it's really dry. My mom, on the other hand, started experiencing hair loss while she was pregnant and it never stopped until she had her prolactin levels checked. She ended up being hypoprolactin, which causes hair loss. Your hormones have to adjust so much to pregnancy and prolactin is one of them. Please have your doc check your prolactin levels. It may help. Good luck!!!
xoxoxo

Old 03-11-2004, 05:29 AM   #4
Inactive

MauraL HB User

Hair loss can occur when you're hypo (dry, brittle hair breaks off at the root), when you're hyper (accelerated growth means faster shedding than normal), and when you're hormone levels are transitioning quickly (as when you significantly increase or decrease a thyroid med). I wouldn't worry about it yet. Give it a few months until your body equilibrates to new hormone levels.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Yes it grows back, and it is true that you start looking like a porcupine, lots of little hairs sticking out of your head. I have straight hair, so you can imagine. My 16 old daughter solved the problem for me. She took her hair straightener and bent the little hairs down. It works! Now I use it every time I wash and blow dry my hair. It is one of those gadgets that gets two plates hot, and you put a strand of hair in between the plates and slide the gadget. It heats up instantly and I bought another one to keep at the gym. The first one worked better, it is a "Revlon", and it has white handles.

Mintchoc

Old 03-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #6

melanie77 HB User

My hair is coming back, too thank goodness ...
I bought a product called Bed Head Control Freak, and it smoothes the "porcupine" hairs down a bit.

Old 03-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #7

micdav HB User

For those of you whose hair grew back, how long did it take to see re-growth?I have been on 75mcg of synthroid last Oct. We're looking at 5 months now. My hair still sheds the same as it did prior to taking the synthroid. I am noticing little hairs around the frontal hairline. I hope this is a good sign. My endo told me it can take 6 mos-1 year until my body adjusts to the synthroid. I am trying so hard to be hopeful but it's hard. Luckily, everthing else has improved ( I have more energy, eyes aren't alwys dry, losing weight ).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Micki

Old 03-15-2004, 11:17 AM   #8

micdav HB User
Wink Re: Will hair grow back? Please help

Oooooops, I forgot to ask, where's the first place you saw regrowth? I see some little hairs in the front along the hairline. A friend of mine noticed her regrowth took place on the back of the head first.

Thanks

Micki

Old 03-16-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

For me it took almost 5 months for hair to stop falling out (it still does a tiny bit, but I think that is normal). The new hair started coming in a few weeks after I started meds, I just noticed lots of little hairs sticking out from my head, my husband noticed my porcupine head, so I started using the hair straightener to bend them down. (I have straight perfect a porcupine look).

Old 03-17-2004, 06:55 AM   #10
(female)

yock HB User

I have a question about this (since my hair is still falling out badly). Is there anyone out there whose hair DID NOT grow back and is still falling out? If so, what meds are you on? thx laura

Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #11

KandiKane HB User

I lost a lot of hair due to thyroidits (not taking any meds). Since I have long, super thick hair, it took several months of shedding for me to notice how thin it had gotten on top and around the temples. However, just when I thought it wasn't going to ever come back in I started noticing new growth! Like the others, it was sticking up like a porcupine. Looked really strange but was a welcome site.

I would estimate that my hairloss and re-growth have lasted about a year. I also have lost most of my eyebrows which have not come back in. Have any of you also lost your eyebrows and had them grow back???

Old 03-17-2004, 07:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

My eyebrows have come back... but my hair just started breaking more since I've been on Armour. However, I don't attribute the breakage to the med.
From what I understand, hair breakage is directly related to low hormone levels. Picture this ~ The hair starts growing out from its root. If the hormone levels drop, the hair becomes weak at the point where it's actively growing. Once it pushes out through the scalp, that weak spot breaks in half at the slightest touch. If the hormone levels normalize again, the hair becomes stronger at the root and no more breakage occurs. If your levels swing back and forth, as they do with most thyroid conditions, that cycle can repeat itself over and over, making you tend to associate the breakage with any adjustment of meds. But in actuality, it has to do with the hormone levels.

Of course, there are many other things that contribute to hair loss. Estrogen is a biggie. Most women lose hair after giving birth, and when starting or stopping BC pills. Many other drugs list possible hair loss as a side effect.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I had some hair loss before finding out I was hypo. Then I started on Synthroid. The hair loss was worse at first. So it is true that Synthroid can make the hair loss worse at first. Then as I was getting adjusted to the meds, it has lessened. They say it's normal to lose 60-100 hairs a day. I think at my worst, I was losing more like a thousand! I cut my hair so that I could hide the hair loss a little better. Cosmetically, that helped a lot. I thought that if my ahir wasn't so heavy, it wouldn't fall out so fast. I don't know if it helped but I looked a lot better.
Good luck with the pregnancy and getting your thyroid meds adjusted correctly.
Is your OB/GYN well versed in thyroid issues? That would help a lot.
Barb

Old 03-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi,
I don't have time right now to read through all of the posts under this thread. But, I wanted to let you all know there is hope. After 9 months of terrible hair loss(I actually started to develop tiny bald patches on top of my scalp), my hair has stopped falling out and is growing back in. I used to literally loose handfuls of hair everyday in the shower after having my thyroidectomy and starting synthroid.

Anyway, about 2 months ago my friend(who is a hair stylist) had me try a product called Nioxin. I started using the shampoo, conditioner, and foam scalp treatment everyday. After about a week, I started noticing my hair falling out less and less. Now, I hardly loose any hair in the shower and I'm noticing a lot of new hair growth. Hilery

Old 03-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #15

KandiKane HB User

I went in for a color tune-up today and it really looks much better. Even seemed to make the wild new hairs lay down better. I am going to ask my stylist about that product. Thanks for mentioning it!

Closed Thread