It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

bonjovi HB User
sensitive to light touch anyone?

I find myself very sensitive to light feather like touches. They make me jump. I don't always have this, just usually if im overtired or stressed(which is alot) lol. Pressure like touches dont seem to bother me tho. I do have some tender points that are alike like fibromyalgia symptoms. ANd my joints dislocate very easily. Are these syptoms thyroid? Thanks

Old 03-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User
Re: sensitive to light touch anyone?

Have you sustained a brain injury?? I did 10yrs ago and have many of the same problems. I don't as much to light touch but if my husband is playing with me and pokes me, the pain is enough to make me cringe. It feels like someone socking you in a bruise!

Look up sensory integration dysfunction and it will explain a lot! Your's would be a tactile dysfunction...also can cause sensitivity to heat/cold...I can't even pick up toast out of the toaster without throwing it as fast as I can to the other counter! I've lost more than a few pieces because I've tossed it just a bit too hard!! LOL There's many things that can cause this, but mine is from a head injury...and it doesn't have to be a "severe" one to cause this much damage. Just in case you have sustained one, look up either: closed head injury, diffuse axonal injury, tbi (traumatic brain injury), or post-concussive syndrome....you may be amazed at what you'll find.

I found one sight for braininjury that had charts and graphs that assess every aspect of a head injury, especially the emotional/cognitive deficits.

I too had thyroid probs, had Grave's disease, now hypo post-radiation....so it could be a contributing factor...don't know for sure...I also have narcolepsy and doc said fibro, but I'm fighting him on that one...don't need another label as you can see.

Hopefully this helps, but I guarantee the first will answer all your questions on it. If you have more, holler.

........Angel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2004, 08:27 PM   #3
(female)

bonjovi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel77
Have you sustained a brain injury?? I did 10yrs ago and have many of the same problems. I don't as much to light touch but if my husband is playing with me and pokes me, the pain is enough to make me cringe. It feels like someone socking you in a bruise!

Look up sensory integration dysfunction and it will explain a lot! Your's would be a tactile dysfunction...also can cause sensitivity to heat/cold...I can't even pick up toast out of the toaster without throwing it as fast as I can to the other counter! I've lost more than a few pieces because I've tossed it just a bit too hard!! LOL There's many things that can cause this, but mine is from a head injury...and it doesn't have to be a "severe" one to cause this much damage. Just in case you have sustained one, look up either: closed head injury, diffuse axonal injury, tbi (traumatic brain injury), or post-concussive syndrome....you may be amazed at what you'll find.

I found one sight for braininjury that had charts and graphs that assess every aspect of a head injury, especially the emotional/cognitive deficits.

I too had thyroid probs, had Grave's disease, now hypo post-radiation....so it could be a contributing factor...don't know for sure...I also have narcolepsy and doc said fibro, but I'm fighting him on that one...don't need another label as you can see.

Hopefully this helps, but I guarantee the first will answer all your questions on it. If you have more, holler.

........Angel
Angel77 Thanks for the reply. I have a question. there was an incident where I fell and hit my head, but I didnt go to the doctor. I landed on my neck. Could something like that cause a minor brain injury or trauma without me knowing. I did have a bad headache afterwards and was dizzy too. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

I am VERY senstive to touch (light or not) - mostly ticklish. I also have many joint problems, in both shoulders, ankles and wrists. Sometimes my hip and my knee as well. It doesn't hurt like angel's, I just jump at it. And it seems to linger, people LOVE to tickle me to say the least...I've never associated it with thyroid, but I never seem to associate anything with it. I have many oddities about me, it could just be the way I am.

blue

Old 03-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #5
(female)

bonjovi HB User

Angel77,
I have a question for you.There was an incident where i fell on my neck and head and I didn't go to the doctor. I had a headache and was dizzy and scared everyone that was there because it was a forceful fall on the neck and I laid there for awhile. Can a fall like that cause a brain injury or trauma to the extent to give me my symptoms? I have always been concerned about it. Thanks so much, I will check out those sites.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Headache and dizziness after a bump on the head are typical signs of mild concussion. Whether that's causing the sensivity to touch is something I don't know anything about.

I have a few tender points myself, but they aren't like those of fibro, which are supposed to be more numerous and symmetrically located in pairs on the body.
Joint problems are very common with hypo... tendinitis, swelling, arthritis-like pain, etc. If your tendons and ligaments are tender and weakened, that might cause the joints to "go out" more easily than normal.

Closed Thread