It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #1

brandi1971 HB User
flushing feeling in the face..among other things

does anyone else have this with hypo? I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago and am on synthroid. Before I was diagnosed, I was feeling bad a lot of the time and am better than I was but there are some days when all the symptoms hit me full force. One day I will feel great, like I'm all better and then the next day every awful symptom that goes along with this comes out at once. My face feels like it's hot kind of- like it's flushed, but it doesn't ever get really red. It almost feels like my blood pressure is up but it's not. My eyes feel swollen and heavy and my legs hurt badly- top and bottoms of them. The night before this happens, I will usually wake up in the middle of the night and feel dizzy and sick, like I have the flu, but it's obvious I don't.There are ofcourse lots of other things but those are the worst. Does anyone know what causes the face flushing? Also, on days I feel this way, I tend to get really panicky feeling- and I always thought that went along with being hyper, but I'm definitely hypo. My TSH was 6.7. I have to go back at the end of next week to get re-checked. Just wondering if anyone else experiences these things! Thanks!

Old 04-05-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Re: flushing feeling in the face..among other things

The symptoms of hypothyroidism are not from the lack of thyroid hormones directly, but rather, from how the various body functions change, because of this lack. So it would follow, that everyone is quite different.

I sometimes get something like what you are describing, and I'm convinced it is from hypothyroidism. My face does get red though, and I don't get panicy with it.

I have gone through a lot of ups and downs though. My Endo thinks that as the thyroid dies off, this is somewhat normal. In my case, I have about 20% of my gland function left, so I'm starting to get less fluctuation. My guess, is that you are going through the same thing.

If you haven't been tested, it's very likely you have TPO antibodies, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US and Canada. These antibodies, as the kill off your gland, can cause these fluctuations.

In my case, I would swing from one day feeling ok, to the next day or two, feeling like I was going to die. It was awfull. But it seems like I am through that now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 07:46 PM   #3

airam HB User

HI

I get that all the time. Like you said, there are days that I feel good and then others which I feel horrible. My face gets swollen and looks so puffy. It looks like I have big cheeks! Also, my eyelids get puffy and there is nothing I can do. I have tried drinking alot of water but that has not helped. I find my face is not as puffy now...I have been on Synthroid for 7 weeks...but there still are days that my face is flushed!

Old 04-05-2004, 11:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: flushing feeling in the face..among other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divermon
The symptoms of hypothyroidism are not from the lack of thyroid hormones directly, but rather, from how the various body functions change, because of this lack. So it would follow, that everyone is quite different.

I sometimes get something like what you are describing, and I'm convinced it is from hypothyroidism. My face does get red though, and I don't get panicy with it.

I have gone through a lot of ups and downs though. My Endo thinks that as the thyroid dies off, this is somewhat normal. In my case, I have about 20% of my gland function left, so I'm starting to get less fluctuation. My guess, is that you are going through the same thing.

If you haven't been tested, it's very likely you have TPO antibodies, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US and Canada. These antibodies, as the kill off your gland, can cause these fluctuations.

In my case, I would swing from one day feeling ok, to the next day or two, feeling like I was going to die. It was awfull. But it seems like I am through that now.
divermon,

what dosage/drug are you on now? i'm up to 175mcg synthroid and must take 25mcg cytomel twice a day when i start to crash ... i had a very recent crash (like yesterday) and went up to 175 today (had a good 10 days when i finally made it up to 150 and no cytomel) ... how can you tell how much functioning gland you have left? ultrasound? is it likely to remain functioning at that level? i realize that one's body is never completely stable, and that the seasons/illness/whatever will always affect me, but i want to get to a dose at which i can manage to get around usually, and i can't!!

i felt my worst at the beginning, the six months before i was dx'd and a couple after, i have no antibodies (maybe i should be rechecked for them), and am still struggling to get out for my MORNING ^%$%# cortisol test (my endo didn't tell me) ... i just had a thyroid panel done on thursday so am waiting on results for that (my last labs were TSH .01, fT3 13 (1.3 -- range 10 to 20), but i still can't seem to do mild exercise w/o collapsing the next day (altho' we take ballroom dancing lessons once a week -- go figure) ...

anyway, just wondering about you ...
jb

airam: divermon's right, and about the flushes -- i feel them coming up from my abdomen, they last about 10 or 15 minutes ...
jb ...

Old 04-06-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

I was getting hot and cold flashes. Sometimes I would get hot all over, even night sweats. I'd wake up feeling anxious and edgy (plus sweaty!). I'd get up and drink 1/2 cup of orange juice and would feel better in 1/2 hr. I figured that something was going whacky with my blood sugar (which I gather happens when you're hypo). I started taking soy protein to combat that, thinking it was part of perimenopause and other symptoms got worse which led me to the doctor which led me to being diagnosed as hypo. Just cutting the soy out of my diet has helped the many of the hypo symptoms (the cramps in my hands are almost gone, as are the eye twitches). I also haven't had a flash of being "cold and can't get warm, sweatsuit, two comforters and warm husband not helping."

I've only been on 25 mcg Synthroid for 1 1/2 weeks, but I do feel somewhat better. I think it's mostly from cutting out all soy for the past 4 weeks.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: flushing feeling in the face..among other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoutrunning
I was getting hot and cold flashes. Sometimes I would get hot all over, even night sweats. I'd wake up feeling anxious and edgy (plus sweaty!). I'd get up and drink 1/2 cup of orange juice and would feel better in 1/2 hr. I figured that something was going whacky with my blood sugar (which I gather happens when you're hypo). I started taking soy protein to combat that, thinking it was part of perimenopause and other symptoms got worse which led me to the doctor which led me to being diagnosed as hypo. Just cutting the soy out of my diet has helped the many of the hypo symptoms (the cramps in my hands are almost gone, as are the eye twitches). I also haven't had a flash of being "cold and can't get warm, sweatsuit, two comforters and warm husband not helping."

I've only been on 25 mcg Synthroid for 1 1/2 weeks, but I do feel somewhat better. I think it's mostly from cutting out all soy for the past 4 weeks.
25 mcg Synthroid is barely a dose -- do you think you could ask for a bump-up? most people start on 50, and some go directly to 100 ...

gosh that darned soy -- supposed to be so good for you (and is -- under other circumstances) ...

jb

Old 04-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User

JB, I'm on 125mcg Levoxyl only. I worked up to that dose slowly, and have been there for 60 days now. My FT4 is about right, but my FT3 is still somewhat low. I will likely move that up some, but I'm feeling so much better that it's not urgent. For example, I'm back into biking - did 10 miles this evening.

This may not be that scientific, but if you multiply your body weight by 0.72, that should be about the dose of T4 for a dead gland. For example, in my case, I weigh 224 lbs. (this is the only forum I would admit that). Multiply by 0.72 = 161 mcg T4. Since 125mcg seems to be about right at the moment, 125/161= 78%. So, it would seem that I have about 22% gland function remaining.

You certainly have had your share of ups and downs, and you know that I can relate, as you'll remember where I was, just three months ago.

I think there's a lot to be said for not jumping around too much with meds. I weathered through some semi-hyper periods on this dose. And now I seem to be infinitly more stable than before. Of course, that's also because I'm getting enough med now to do me good.

However, just 8 months ago, it seemed that 100 mcg was too high. So my gland is certainly evolving.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but it sounds as if you are jumping around on your doses. I do have a program that tracks accumlated meds. I can give you the picture, if you can tell me your doses and dates.

Closed Thread