It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 06:46 AM   #1

sandrae HB User
dry eyes and Hashimoto's

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos about three weeks ago with a TSH of 10.1. I have had some thinning hair, dry skin, thin nails and dry eyes. My eyes seemed to be getting more dry and the Dr. told me (family practice) that it is not due to the low thyroid because "that happens with hyperthyroidism". Now they are ruling me out for Sjorgens syndrome with lab tests and lip biopsy. Has anyone had any experience with dry eye and does starting medication help? The rheumatologist told me to stop taking my thyroid replacement medication for two weeks to see if the medication was making my eyes dry and now I am so tired. How long does it take the medication for thyroid replacement to work? Could low thyroid cause dry eye symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: dry eyes and Hashimoto's

Your family doctor is absolutely, unequivocally wrong. Dry eyes absolutely can be caused by hypoT.
I'm still in the process of finding the right dose of Armour for me, but my dry, gritty eyes have improved tremendously since starting it. They are no longer as sensitive to strong sunlight as they were.

Is your mouth dry too? From what I understand about Sjogren's, that will almost always be present... not just dry eyes. For what it's worth, I was tested for Sjogren's by an ignorant doctor who was just positive I don't have a thyroid problem.... You can guess the rest...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

I can't believe they told you to stop taking your replacement hormone because your eyes were dry. That seems so ridiculous to me. Anyone else? I agree with midwest that dry eyes are possible with hypoT. I've also read that Hashi's can cause eye symptoms that look like Graves eye disease, which include dry gritty eyes.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:03 AM   #4

Renee' HB User

I have Hashi's and I get dry eyes sometimes, also sometimes dry mouth, but these BOTH have improved a lot since starting thyroid meds.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #5

sandrae HB User

Did you test positive for the Sjogrens? I just got tests back and every blood test was negative including ESR, ANA, RA, anti-SSA, anti-SSB. I can't help but believe that this is related to the Hashimotos. I started on my thyroid meds and I am going to wait...

Old 04-15-2004, 12:58 PM   #6

sandrae HB User

Midwest1,
Did your Sjogrens tests come back positive? I can't help but think that this is related to the Hashimotos. I re-started my thyroid medication.
S

Old 04-15-2004, 01:21 PM   #7

Renee' HB User

Yes, my blood work for all of those things was negative too. I really believe that hashi's can cause those symptoms. Glad to see ya taking your thyroid meds again!

Old 04-15-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
(female)

BonBe HB User

for what it is worth....since I am not that well informed on this subject of the mighty Thyroid, though been dx's for 8 years and on meds this whole time. It may sound weird, and I am probably reaching for apples or what ever that expression is.

My eyes were dry and gritty (but not always) that I even began instiling those OTC drops just for dry eyes. (it helped, but I am not a good eye dropper person) also I have been now for the past 3 years having to go for glauchoma checks every six months, (high normal readings) but since I got my meds upped from 50mg eltroxin to 75mg synthroid, my eyes for the past 4 days have not bothered me. Not even a morning gritty build-up.

Maybe it is all unrelated, but I have HYPO no Hashi or any other name sooooo (am I maybe perhaps babbling?) hope not.

Bonnie

Old 04-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Did your Sjogrens tests come back positive? I can't help but think that this is related to the Hashimotos. I re-started my thyroid medication.
My Sjogrens' test was negative. I don't have it.
But I do have problems with dry, gritty eyes when my thyroid hormone levels are dipping low. To confirm your suspicions, you only have to look up several different sources of hypoT symptoms to see that dry eyes is included on most of the lists.
To get some relief while you're waiting for effective thyroid treatment, get some OTC "artificial tears". The ones without preservatives are best... one brand is Visine Tears™. It works well for me.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

When I first was diagnosed with Hashi's I had extremely dry eyes, and sometimes dry mouth. I was worried I may have sjogrens, but never got tested because once I was put on Levoxyl to shrink my thyroid, the dry eyes stopped being dry.
All the syptoms you described can be related to hyper or hypo, whether your blood tests say you do or do not have a thyroid problem.
My blood tests never indicated a problem but I had to have my large goiter removed a year ago, I also was symptomatic before I had my surgery.
I think you need to go to an endo.

Nodi

Old 04-16-2004, 12:10 PM   #11

sandrae HB User

Thanks, I just started on Levoxyl 50 mcg about a week ago. By the way, my TSh was 10.7 and my antibodies were 785.0. My Dr. said that this is "borderline" hypothyroid. I think that I might need an endo too.

Old 04-16-2004, 12:38 PM   #12

Renee' HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraelswick
Thanks, I just started on Levoxyl 50 mcg about a week ago. By the way, my TSh was 10.7 and my antibodies were 785.0. My Dr. said that this is "borderline" hypothyroid. I think that I might need an endo too.
BORDERLINE???? Good grief! My endo thought that my antibodies were fairly HIGH at 173, LOL. Find another doc, love.

Closed Thread