It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 07:43 AM   #1
(male)

WesCorb HB User
synthroid alternative

I was put on synthroid for hypothyroidism and reacted badly to it. I called the doctor's office and was told to cut the dosage in half.I did and felt better but after a week started feeling bad again and got a rash. Once again I called and was told to leave the synthroid off completely. I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience with synthroid and what is the alternative medication I may expect to get prescribed.Also is there any natural supplements that can help this condition?

Old 04-17-2004, 08:12 AM   #2

bluelady HB User
Re: synthroid alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesCorb
I was put on synthroid for hypothyroidism and reacted badly to it. I called the doctor's office and was told to cut the dosage in half.I did and felt better but after a week started feeling bad again and got a rash. Once again I called and was told to leave the synthroid off completely. I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience with synthroid and what is the alternative medication I may expect to get prescribed.Also is there any natural supplements that can help this condition?
I'm in a similar situation with Levothroid (side effects). My doc told me the same thing, cut it in half or discontinue it. I wasn't offered any alternative so I've been posting trying to figure out what to do. Maybe your doc will be willing to prescribe another med, mine isn't. Sorry but I don't know anything about natural supplements for td healing. I'm sure you'll be hearing from someone soon who can offer you some good advice.

Good Luck
Bluelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2004, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

WesCorb,
It sounds as if you're experiencing an allergic reaction to the dye or filler in the tablet. A different brand might not cause the same problem. Many doctors are so stubbornly reluctant to prescribe anything other than Synthroid, that people run into this problem more often than the profession cares to admit.

It's also possible that you react badly to synthetic meds in general.
I also reacted badly to Synthroid... not with a rash, but with terrible joint and muscle pain and a total loss of appetite. The endo I was seeing prescribes nothing but Synthroid. Even after she reduced my dose twice, I eventually went hyper on it and she told me to discontinue the med and come back in 3 months. She offered no alternative to Synthroid. Within a month after stopping it, I was hypo again, but I didn't give her another chance. I began to see a doctor who prescribes natural dessicated med (Armour brand, in my case), and I'm doing fine on it. Doctors who rely on the natural Rx meds are rarer, but it's worth it to locate one who does. People most often do better on these meds than on synthetics.

When you ask about "natural supplements", I assume you mean over-the-counter kinds of things? If you have hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's disease, which is the most common cause, the OTC things likely will not help. If your hypoT is caused by a temporary condition or is extremely mild in nature, it's theoretically possible to bolster thyroid function using health food store supps. I don't know much about how to do that, though.

Old 04-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #4

Renee' HB User

Weeeeellllllll......this is only my second day on Armour so I can't really compare stuff yet, but I didn't do well on Synthroid. Synthroid made me feel like my Hashi's was worse, lol. The endo I just saw tries to put ALL of his patients on Armour, and many folks here really like it. I felt way too jittery on Synthroid, and I'm glad to be off of it now. This Armour hits my body "smooth" if that makes any sense, lol. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
(female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee'
Weeeeellllllll......this is only my second day on Armour so I can't really compare stuff yet, but I didn't do well on Synthroid. Synthroid made me feel like my Hashi's was worse, lol. The endo I just saw tries to put ALL of his patients on Armour, and many folks here really like it. I felt way too jittery on Synthroid, and I'm glad to be off of it now. This Armour hits my body "smooth" if that makes any sense, lol. Good luck!
Renee......so glad to hear that you're doing well......but beware, there will be an adjustment period where you'll feel somewhat worse, then slowly smooth out again.....if you're getting enough of a dose. If you're not, you'll know soon enough.
Did you not get labwork done prior to starting, like your Free T3 and Free T4? The final results should be in the mid-upper normal of your lab ranges. Men do better at the mid range, women do better at the upper range. Hopefully you did get the labs done, otherwise your doctor is guessing. Glad to hear that this doc is willing to do the Armour thing.
Hint on taking Armour.....before you run into a problem...you should cut each tablet in half, then take one half after breakfast and one half after supper, in a fairly even 8 hour interval. This way you don't get highs and lows like you would get by taking it first thing in the morning with just water. That's the method used for Synthroid only since it's only T4 and is very slowly reacting. The Armour has both T4 and T3. The T3 can make you jittery if you don't quell it with food. It keeps you from getting that fast rise.
Post if you any other questions!
Judy

Closed Thread