It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Question Shortness of breathe

Has anyone heard of synthroid making them short of breathe...

Old 04-20-2004, 06:58 PM   #2

TRosebud HB User
Re: Shortness of breathe

My doctor tells me that my shortness of breath has nothing to do with my thyroid but the only time I have a problem is when my medication needs adjusting up. You might keep a record of how you are feeling when this happens and also if you get a medication adjustment note if your problem goes away. I am not positive about this but I have been on medication for maybe 14 or 15 years and do experience this from time to time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Shortness of breath is a symptom of thyroid.
What dose of meds are you on?
I have to agree with the previous poster, I also get short of breath when my dose needs to be adjusted.

Last edited by dea4; 04-20-2004 at 07:11 PM.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:19 PM   #4

TRosebud HB User

I am on 2 grain of Armour but I have had the same problem when taking synthroid. I think that it has something to do with the T3 for me but I am not positive about that. The reason I say that is because I took synthroid for maybe 12 1/2 years with no T3 (no thyroid either) and once they added T3 it went right away and my life changed alot.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea4
Shortness of breath is a symptom of thyroid.
What dose of meds are you on?
I have to agree with the previous poster, I also get short of breath when my dose needs to be adjusted.
Well, right now at the moment im on 25 mcg.Im suppose to be on a 100mcg
but, Im having so much trouble increasing the med. Every time I try to increase it a little my heart starts pounding out of my chest and I feel short of breath so I cut back. I have had nothing but trouble with synthroid from the get go.First I was allergic to the dye so they drop me down to the 50 mcg b/c they have no color additives and now this. Geesh when does the madness end......LoL Take care

Old 04-21-2004, 05:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

it sounds like it's time to consider another brand of med. There are many other synthetic T4s. Of course, there's most everybody's natural favorite, Armour.
I was so hypersensitive to Synthroid I had to quit taking it... It dropped my TSH from 6.98 to .003 within 6 weeks on .075mg. I was still hyper after dropping back to .050. [BTW, .025 won't work for anyone. It will make you worse off than nothing at all.] When I started taking Armour, I've had no such problem.

Some doctors are stubbornly locked into Synthroid and won't consider anything else, even when it doesn't work.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-21-2004 at 05:27 AM.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:28 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

That is so stupid...to drop you down because you're allergic to the dyes...why not change the meds? I get sooooooo mad sometimes reading this stuff.....sorry!

Old 04-21-2004, 06:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miper
That is so stupid...to drop you down because you're allergic to the dyes...why not change the meds? I get sooooooo mad sometimes reading this stuff.....sorry!
I with you Miper, drs are ridiculous arn't they.

Likeme28, find a dr that will give you something else, there is no need to feel so awful because the dr is an idiot.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Miper,
The .050 Synths are white, have no dye. Still.... It would make sense to take two of them if .100 is needed.... sheesh.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:16 AM   #10

Renee' HB User

I have "shortness of breath" as a symptom of hypo itself. The other morning I woke up and had that symptom as well as being weak and shakey, etc, and it was especially a pain in the neck that morning cause I needed to take a shower. I took my Armour and all those symptoms went totally away. My shower was a snap.

But what is interesting is that I was on 50mcg's of Synthroid, and my GP moved me up to 75mcgs, and I started experiencing the very same thing that you described Likeme28. Heart pounding, etc. It scared me so much that I went back to 50mcg's and felt miserable. I would have just given up on meds, but since the folks here were so happy with their Armour I went to an Endo who tries to get all his patients on that, and he immediatly put me on 60mg's (one grain) of Armour. Well, talk about scared! If I felt like death on 50/75mcg's of Synthroid, what would 60mg (100mcg's of Synthroid = 60mg's Armour) do to me? But good grief, this Armour isn't anything like the Synthroid, at least not for me. I was so bummed out over the stuff I was experiencing with Synthroid, and I couldn't tell if my symptoms were from that or just my Hashi's going nuts. I even posted on here asking that. Likeme28, look for another option. There are other meds out there. Don't go around feeling horrible when you don't have too!!!

Old 04-21-2004, 11:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I too have been short of breath often and now find that my meds have been low for sometime. My new Dr. explained that when the thyroid meds R low the body slows down, including the heart. Sometimes fluid builds up around the heart or in the lungs. Even small amounts of fluid can cause it. When the dose is increased to where it needs to be the body clears itself again and the symptom goes away. I am becomming convinced this little organ is the cause for much more than it is given credit for.

Bonnie/ patience 50

Old 04-21-2004, 02:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Well, called the Dr today.They wanna try me on levothroid a generic form of synthroid so they say..I guess I will see what happens with this one..Yippee
Take care everyone

Old 04-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience 50
I too have been short of breath often and now find that my meds have been low for sometime. My new Dr. explained that when the thyroid meds R low the body slows down, including the heart. Sometimes fluid builds up around the heart or in the lungs. Even small amounts of fluid can cause it. When the dose is increased to where it needs to be the body clears itself again and the symptom goes away. I am becomming convinced this little organ is the cause for much more than it is given credit for.

Bonnie/ patience 50
Well, I can honeslty say that my thyroid has never caused shortness of breath for me. "Knock on wood" Now granted I have had a whole slew of other problems to make up for it..lol
Take Care~~~~

Old 04-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #14

Peeps HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeme28
Well, called the Dr today.They wanna try me on levothroid a generic form of synthroid so they say..I guess I will see what happens with this one..Yippee
Take care everyone

Hi Likeme28,

Sorry to hear of all the problems. I agree with the others. Too low of a dose is not good (I experienced that problem when my GP was treating me) and if the dyes are a problem, then switching to a med with no dye surely makes sense.

I did want to mention that the endo I saw (he comes highly recommended), said I should never take a generic thyroid med.

I also have sob (shortness of breath). Have had it for years and also gone undiagnosed for years with Hashomoto's. I have only been on thyroid treatment for a week with the endo prescribing, 112 mcg Snythroid, so too early to know if the sob will improve. I was on levoxyl 25 mcg Rx'd by my GP for 3 weeks before that and then one week off of it (recommended by internist - thought I was going hyper on it - which probably was not the case). The low-dose Levoxyl made me much worse. So far, I am doing better since switching to the Synthroid higher dose; my hyper-type symptoms have improved since the switch.

I hope you find the correct med soon and get to feeling better!

Best Wishes,
Sue

Last edited by Peeps; 04-21-2004 at 02:51 PM.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeps
Hi Likeme28,

Sorry to hear of all the problems. I agree with the others. Too low of a dose is not good (I experienced that problem when my GP was treating me) and if the dyes are a problem, then switching to a med with no dye surely makes sense.

I did want to mention that the endo I saw (he comes highly recommended), said I should never take a generic thyroid med.

I also have sob (shortness of breath). Have had it for years and also gone undiagnosed for years with Hashomoto's. I have only been on thyroid treatment for a week with the endo prescribing, 112 mcg Snythroid, so too early to know if the sob will improve. I was on levoxyl 25 mcg Rx'd by my GP for 3 weeks before that and then one week off of it (recommended by internist - thought I was going hyper on it - which probably was not the case). The low-dose Levoxyl made me much worse. So far, I am doing better since switching to the Synthroid higher dose; my hyper-type symptoms have improved since the switch.

I hope you find the correct med soon and get to feeling better!

Best Wishes,
Sue
Well before I try levothroid..Do you think I should just lump it and take the full 50mcg for a few days and see if the heart pounding and shortness of breath would stop? Maybe thats why I am having these symptoms because im starting out at low dose, but then again when I try to increase it I get sick.
Take care

Closed Thread