It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 05:02 AM   #1

kiminnc HB User
Ear and Jaw Pain, anyone else?

Hi! A couple of weeks ago I started having pain when I touched my scalp. It went away but now it is back. I am also have stabbing pains in my ear that come an go along with upper an lower jaw pain, but only on the left side. I am a teacher and asked my school nurse to check my left ear. She said it was clear. When I told her about my other symptoms, she suggested it could possibly be trigeminal neurolagia(sp). I looked it up and it matches all of my symptoms. I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this, could it be connected to thyroid/hashis (which I have), or is anybody experiencing the same symptoms? On one site it said it could result from Sjorgenson's(sp) Disease, which I know is another autoimmune disease. It just makes me wonder if it is not all connected to my Hashis. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Re: Ear and Jaw Pain, anyone else?

Do you still have your wisdom teeth?
I had the pain in my ear and jaw, so had my teeth out. Haven't had the pain since the surgery.
I also have Hashi's, so if the pain comes back, I guess I can blame it on that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There is a type of thyroiditis in which the pain can mimic TMJ (temporomandibular joint) pain. This would cause pain in the jaw and ear. I found this information on the following webpage ~ [url]http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/thyroiditis.html[/url]
"The second type of thyroiditis is called subacute granulomatous thyroiditis, or painful thyroiditis. Unlike most forms of thyroid disease which are more common in women, this type of thyroiditis occurs equally in both men and women. It usually starts out as a harmless viral illness such as the flu or a cold which invades the the thyroid gland causing thyroiditis. This type of inflammation is quite painful and you may find that the front of your throat is sore to the touch. Often this pain extends to the jaw or ear and can be confused with a whole host of other diseases including temporomandibular joint problems (commonly referred to as TMJ), ear infections or even Strept throat. Sometimes only one lobe of the thyroid is affected causing pain and swelling on just one side of the neck instead of both."

If you don't think you've had an episode of infection that would've caused this kind of thyroiditis, have your dentist check you for genuine TMJ.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-22-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Old 04-22-2004, 02:00 PM   #4

kiminnc HB User

Hi! Thanks to both of you for the response and information. yes, I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled about 18 years ago. I am going to go to the website you recommended. I live in North Carolina, and I have an Endo. I think he is good, hes been very supportive so far. I do have pain in on the left side of my neck, it kind of goes diaganoly(sp) from my ear to my throat. I also have the very full feeling in my neck right now that comes and goes, mainly feels like pressure in my throat. Hopefully this is all connected, so I at least have a reason why it is happening. The pain is unbearable at times. Once again thanks for you help!!

Old 04-22-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
I live in North Carolina, and I have an Endo.
Haha, yes Kim. Now I see that. You must have read my first answer before I edited it. At first, I had you confused with kimnyc, who lives in New York and needs a new doctor. Sorry for the confusion, and hope you figure out the source of your pain.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
(female)

lil'missdiagnosis HB User

Hi,

I know the pain you are speaking of, pressure too. I've had it for two years, goes from the neck into the throat, ears and jaw. Very uncomfortable! Certain thyroid disorders can cause swelling of the thyroid. Thyroid nodules, depending on their size and location are a factor. Any of these situations can cause pain and/or pressure in the neck, throat, jaw, ear area. I wouldn't rule it out, it seems mine has turned out to be large nodule on my right lobe of the thyroid.

Take Care,

lil'missdiagnosis

Old 04-22-2004, 11:10 PM   #7

pippa84 HB User
Question Re: Ear and Jaw Pain, anyone else?

I guess that I have not used this board very much. I just did a quick post, it doesn't show. I hope that it is emailed or something???

If it went no where.... I want to recommed, what my doctor has prescribed for me. 1000mcg of Aleve. Take about every 5 hours, and don't let it wear off. It can take 2 to 3 days of taking it to make it completely go away. It is the only thing that I have found that works for neuralgia.

Lois

Old 04-23-2004, 11:30 AM   #8

MandyS HB User

I went to the doc because I thought I had an earinfection for about 2 weeks. There would be shooting pain in and going from my ear down to my jaw. I also had a lot of ringing in my ears and pressure problems. Very uncomfortable I must say. The doc said there was nothing visably wrong, that it probably was caused by allergies (have post-nasal drip). That was two weeks ago. I have been taking Syntroid for about one week now and the ear problem is still there but a less bothersome.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:55 AM   #9
(female)

chrislon HB User

What lil'missdiagnosis describes is exactly whet i have been feeling for the last two years. I really hope that someone can help as I have not been able to get an answer from my doctor so far. It feels like some kind of pressure/cramp in my jaw and i have a small lymphnode just below my ear which is swollen (like a pea) together with a swollen gland in my neck, all on the right side. I have had blood tests/ultra sound/mri scan/ct scan and they all seemed fine. They show that the nodes/glands are swollen but they are not abnormally big and the blood test for thyroid problems came back clear as well. The doctor has been suggesting TMJ but I donot have any problems in the morning and also no problems when i chew, so i cannot really believe it. It really feels as if the node is causing the pain/cramp and is somehow pressing against underlying tissue. I have had this for two years now and these problems do not seem to change. Does anybody recognize this?

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:57 AM   #10

pippa84 HB User

I just want to say that one of the things that occurs with hypo is that the cartilage in the ear overgrows. The very first research that I did into hypo symptoms is where I read this. It has been years ago in a library. It was before I was online. If you go back to the basic research on hypo symptoms you might find it.
I have nueralgia, I think it was caused from the overgrowth of cartilage in the ear, as that is where mine starts. I also have a damaged vertibrae in my neck and the nerve pattern that is affected is part of that too, so I am not sure. 1000mgs of neproxin taking consistently every 5 or 6 hours will make it subside. It is the only thing that I have found that works.

Lois

Closed Thread