It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #1

Peeps HB User
Question Any connection between ear pain/problems and Hashi?

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there might be any connection between ear pain/problems/hearing loss with Hashamoto's?

I was just recently diagnosed with Hashamoto's, but am sure I have had it for MANY years, according to my years of symptoms and TSH levels that were never treated until now.

I have had something going on with my left ear for some time. For several years, it would make a snapping sound when I would turn my head and I would get sharp shooting pains with it at times. That sound has finally stopped in the past months and the pains are less (before thyroid treatment and stayed the same with). I can tell I have hearing loss in that ear, as every once in awhile it will 'pop' and clear for a few seconds and the increased volume is very obvious. I have also noticed that I have to have the TV up louder than others. I had a doc look at my left ear recently when being seen about the thyroid problems and he said all 'looked' fine. I have not been tested for hearing loss.

Well, now since starting the Synthroid dose of 112 mcg a couple of weeks ago, about 5 days ago I got a sharp pain in the other ear, my right ear. This first happened when I was eating dinner. I had NO symptoms at all in that ear, felt perfectly normal until eating dinner that night and has now persisted ever since. It is caused by the motion of my jaw and it feels like there is a rope connected to my jaw that is pulling on my ear drum. It sometimes is accompanied by sharp pain and sometimes with a dull pain. I feel like I may be having hearing loss in that ear now too. It is nothing like an ear infection, it is caused by the movement of my jaw.

It just seems awfully coiencidental that this would have started shortly after taking the Synthroid. I also feel like swallowing is being slightly affected at times since starting the T4. I had intermittant problems with that in the past (my thyroid is 1 1/2 times normal size the endo stated).

Could there be any correlation between being on thyroid hormone treatment now and the new ear problem? Could treatment cause the thyroid size to increase temporarily in the beginning of treatment? I have read/heard that symptoms can increase initially with treatment, but don't know if that pertains to thyroid 'size' and if that could be affecting my ear?

Thanks for any input you might have! This ear stuff is really bugging me, would like to figure out the cause. My mom had a benign tumor that grew large on her face, right in front of her ear and along the jaw, so I also don't know if I need to be concerned about another type of growth that could be hereditary with these ear problems or if it could be thyroid related. A few years ago I asked my GP about the left ear and he said it was nothing. I don't have much faith in any of my local doctors being able to figure it out

Have a good day!
Sue

Last edited by Peeps; 05-02-2004 at 04:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Any connection between ear pain/problems and Hashi?

Quote:
I am wondering if there might be any connection between ear pain/problems/hearing loss with Hashamoto's?
There isn't with Hashimoto's per se, but there is with hypoT. About 25% of people with sensorineural hearing loss are hypothyroid. And there is an association of hypoT with Meniere's disease as well. If you do a google search using the keywords "hearing loss" + hypothyroidism" or "sensorineural hearing loss", you'll find lots of references to the connection. I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear... sorry. The good news is that it should reverse itself if the thyroid is properly replaced.

Was your mom's problem called 'acoustic neuroma'? (DH's aunt had surgery for that some years ago.) Is that something that has a familial or genetic component that would cause you to worry?

As for the thyroid swelling, I don't know if the start of treatment might increase gland enlargement. I hope someone else might know.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:26 AM   #3

Peeps HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
There isn't with Hashimoto's per se, but there is with hypoT. About 25% of people with sensorineural hearing loss are hypothyroid. And there is an association of hypoT with Meniere's disease as well. If you do a google search using the keywords "hearing loss" + hypothyroidism" or "sensorineural hearing loss", you'll find lots of references to the connection. I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear... sorry. The good news is that it should reverse itself if the thyroid is properly replaced.

Was your mom's problem called 'acoustic neuroma'? (DH's aunt had surgery for that some years ago.) Is that something that has a familial or genetic component that would cause you to worry?

As for the thyroid swelling, I don't know if the start of treatment might increase gland enlargement. I hope someone else might know.
Hi Midwest,

Thanks for the info. I actually had done just as you suggested before you posted this and found similar info to what you shared. It mentioned Mienere's and the relationship with autoimmune diseases like Graves and Hashimoto's. For that it mentioned treatment with cortisone meds, such as Prednisone.

It is amazing all the links that are coming to the surface with health problems I have had for so many years that point to the undiagnosed/untreated thyroid problems. It is very sad to see all the problems I might have been spared or at least reduced in severity if my docs would have 'listened' and paid attention to what was going on with the labs and symptoms. VERY frustrating! Eight years ago when I had elevated BP and racing heart and palpitations and an abnormal EKG, fibromyalgia diagnosis, etc, they ran a TSH test then and found it was at 7.8. They did nothing but retest, time after time and not treat it. At that same time I began having episodes of vertigo that they blamed on labyrnthitis, even though I had never had an infection preceding the episodes. I have had many recurring episodes of vertigo. Now I feel it is very possible that it could have been Meinere's disease in connection with the thyroid problems. I had researched all the possible causes of vertigo, including Meinere's, but did not have the thyroid diagnosis then, that would have made me more suspicious of that diagnosis at that time.

Yeah, I wasn't happy to read that it is possibly sensorineural hearing loss, which is less likely to be reversible, depending on the exact cause. It would be great if thyroid treatment could benefit that situation. Both my mom and dad had hearing loss.

I sure am racking up the health problems. It is sure a mess when one's immune system turns on them and how many problems it causes over time, especially when left untreated so long! They just keep snowballing on me anymore. And to think my GP belittled me when I requested a referral to an endo, for what was in his terms, an insignificant thyroid problem - UGH!

I never heard the name of the tumor that my mom had. I don't know if what she had is hereditary or not, wish I knew. Not long after she finally had the surgery to remove the tumor, she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which she died from. That I know is hereditary and I am at greater risk for it with having endometriosis. I feel like I need to be vigillant about lymph gland areas and the fact that thyroid and lymph glands are in close proximity in the throat area, it may be hard to know which swellings may be what and if they are involved in the ear problems I am encountering. I have had enlarged lymph gland areas above the clavicle for quite a few years now and all my GP has said is that it is of no concern as long as the swelling does not become hard - of course he would say that, so far he has said everything is of no concern! I have no trust in him anymore. I also have a blockage that occurs in a salivary gland, so seems there is quite a bit going on in this area of my body.

I guess I best find myself a new doc to see at my clinic about the ear problems, with this latest one that has cropped up. I won't be returing to my GP!

Oh, I should tell you that the endo sent me a cc of the letter he sent to my doctors. He very diplomatically told them they were ALL WRONG! He restated the narrowed range by the AACE, which I had already included in my initial letter to my GP when asking him to consider running more thyroid tests, which he put no stock in! Everything the endo wrote contradicted what my local docs had said about my thyroid situation and backed up what I had said to my GP 100%. While I didn't get to be a fly on the wall when he read it , I at least had the satisfaction of reading what the endo had to say

Thanks for your help, Midwest.
Sue

Old 05-03-2004, 04:05 PM   #4

kiminnc HB User

Hi! I too have ear pain and Hashis. I was first diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in 9-2002. I had all the symptoms: fullness and ringing in the ears, vertigo, and hearing loss. Mine is also mainly in my left ear. In 9-2003 I was diagnosed hypo, and in 1-2004 I was diagnosed with Hashis. My ENT told me that the hypo will exacerbate the Meniere's. I take a 75mg diuretic to control the amount of fluid is retained in inner ears, and Valium for when I have a vertigo attack. I posted about a week ago about ear and jaw pain and could it be hashis related, check out that thread. Good luck with your symptoms, I feel your pain!! You might want to see an ENT. Let me know how things go.

Kim

Closed Thread