It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 04:30 AM   #1
Inactive

hypodude HB User
96 degrees to 98.2 after just eating breakfast within 15 mins???

Hello all. I was curious if anyone notices significant changes after eating with their Hypo symptoms, particularly in the morning? My sypmtoms seem to "shift" after eating.

I woke up this morning bone chilling cold. I took my temperature twice to note the results and I was 96 degrees on the nose both times.

I felt like I was gonna freeze to death.

Anyway, I ate a small bowl of cereal and I swear on this.....15 - 30 minutes later I can feel myself warming up. I mean it was so quick I could really feel my hands start to heat up.

I took my temp twice more and both times and this time I was 98.2 - just 20 minutes after recording the 2 96 degree temps.

Has anyone heard of someone jumping 2.2 degrees in just a few minutes? Also this certainly seemed to be triggered by eating breakfast.

I know the correct blood sugar can work small miracles inside the body, but I always thought my freezing was due to Hypo. Has anyone else experienced or noticed something similar to this experience?

Old 05-05-2004, 06:51 AM   #2
(female)

kimnyc HB User
Re: 96 degrees to 98.2 after just eating breakfast within 15 mins???

Well.. I am supposedly NOT hypo because my lab ranges are normal, but I know I am. I have noticed extreme changes in my temperature over very short time periods as well. For instance, I can go from 96.5 to 97.2 in a half hour. Or 97.4 to 98.0 in the same amount of time.

This morning, my basal temp was 97.4 and I ached ALL OVER. Is there a connection between the low body temps and the intensity of the aches?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Yes, that happened to me too. I was 95 while cooking dinner, then ate dinner and temp went up to 97.6 or so. Strange isn't it?

Old 05-05-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Temps that rise shortly after eating are a symptom of candida (it could even be a symptom of a underlying food allergy) which is a yeast overgrowth. I had the same thing going on, but since treating the candida I no longer have that symptom. It is NOT a sign of a HEALTHY metabolism.

Good Luck!!

Old 05-05-2004, 02:03 PM   #5

fromos5 HB User

Yes, eating can and does cause a rise in body temp, especially if the food is warm to begin with. (And even... think of eating ice cold hot peppers, how you'd sweat even then!) Such things as tasting and chewing and swallowing & digesting are thermodynamic. Energy creates heat. Blood flow increases and your core body temp will rise. Also, your body temp will naturally rise all on its own in the morning when you've been up for a while. In general, your true peak body temp won't occur until later in the day (usually afternoon). You're going from a state of sleeping... barely moving or thinking... to being up and moving around. That's why you are supposed to check that temp as SOON as you wake up. Your temp a half hour later (even 10 mins later) is no longer your waking temp. And don't forget that in the morning you ALOS experience a rise in cortisol, growth hormone and adrenaline. This is totally normal and creates a cascade effect of increasing blood pressure, heart rate and breathing (and thus temp). (We diabetics know this as "the Dawn Phenomenon" ... our morning sugars are often harder to control because of all those "wake up!" hormones and their effect on glucose.)

Of course, it's conceivable that you could ALSO have a yeast prob and that could cause weird temp issues too, but it is perfectly natural for your body temp to rise both, 1) in the morning, and 2) when you eat. It may appear more dramatic in the morning, obviously.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:50 AM   #6
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

What I am not referring to is a change in body temp after eating something warm. I am talking about getting warm shortly after eating something that could be cold , the temp of the food not being a factor. The best way to describe what I am referring to is like a hot flash without the flash, it comes over you suddenly. A sudden flushed feeling. That is not normal.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #7

fromos5 HB User

There is also a condition... argh! I can't remember what the heck it's called ... it has to do with nerves and the autonomic nervous system. It causes people to flush after eating. Especially the head, if I remember correctly... like the face & forehead. Some people have it mildly, while others have it so bad their faces get red & they get so hot they start sweating profusely and it's something embarrassing. Darn, I can't remember what it's called. Just another thought. I'll see if I can figure out what it is.

But I wasn't meaning that your body temp rises only when eating WARM food. That would be the most noticeable, of course. But the act of chewing & swallowing & digesting ANY food takes energy and can raise your body temp. In fact... unless it's ice cold... it DOES raise your temp, even it's just a tad.

And then there's that yeast idea. However, I've always noticed a rise in temp and my face can even get hot after eating and I've been tested for candida a couple of times and I'm fine. I notice it most with carb foods and I do know why. Why? Because blood sugar begins rising with minutes and I don't make insulin (I'm type 1 diabetic). Whenever my blood sugar is very high (like if I eat too much, the wrong food or don't take my insulin shot in time) I have a mild fever until my insulin shot peaks and my glucose comes back down. So... blah blah... another thing to check... blood sugar. If you're having blood sugar probs you could be experiencing something similar.

Take care,
Deb

Closed Thread