It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 08:46 AM   #1

parrotheadchris HB User
Does your "cycle" affect your symptoms?

I would love to find out from those of you who are not yet medicated - does your menstrual cycle affect your symptoms? It seems that it could, but I am going through that same "is it just in my head?" phase that I've been through before. I am still trying to get diagnosed, and feeling like I'm on a roller coaster. Yesterday and the day before, though, I felt almost normal for about 4 hrs and 8 hrs, respectively. I started my period the day before yesterday. Coincidence?

The good news is that I got more accomplished in those 2 stints than I have in weeks! My dh was pleasantly surprised, to say the least!

For those who are medicated - do you remember anything like this?

Thanks!
chris

Last edited by parrotheadchris; 05-13-2004 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling...

Old 05-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: Does your "cycle" affect your symptoms?

For those of us who are very symptomatic, even on meds the cycle will affect us.
When our estrogen level rises it causes a rise in thyroglobulin levels which causes free thyroid hormone levels to fall, then when estrogen falls again the free levels rise. With no thyroid problem your body compensates for this, but when the thyroid is compromised then your body will not release more hormone and even on meds its a fixed dose and will not rise and fall with the rise and fall of estrogen.
So yes, evey month I can look forward to a week or so of feeling really awful because I am very symptomatic so any changes in my free levels and I feel it.
Some can figure pretty closely when this will happen and up their meds during that time.
Thryoid and female hormones are closely linked, any change in any of it and you will notice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 09:49 AM   #3

parrotheadchris HB User

So what do you think it means that I have hypo symptoms, but feel better during this time??? Makes me wonder...

Old 05-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #4

eleni61 HB User

I have just been diagnosed with hashimotos disease and I get hypo symptoms that seem to begin with a rash/hives around my period and afterwards. I am not on any medication yet, but hopefully after I have this nuclear scan. It seems I get much better for 2 weeks, then get worse. I first thought I must be going through perimenapause because I get night sweats too.

Old 05-13-2004, 03:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadchris
So what do you think it means that I have hypo symptoms, but feel better during this time??? Makes me wonder...
From what I understand, about the time you ovulate your estrogen surges and this is when the free levels will drop, then when your cycle starts the estrogen falls and stays low during your period, so this would mean your frees are the highest during this time.
So are you feeling better during your period? If so your thyroid hormones are higher and probably closer to where they should be.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 PM   #6

parrotheadchris HB User

How ironic! I NEVER thought I'd look forward to getting my period these days!

Thanks Dea!

Old 05-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadchris
How ironic! I NEVER thought I'd look forward to getting my period these days!

Thanks Dea!
No kidding, can you imagine what menopause will be like The hormones are really going nuts then.

Closed Thread