It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #1

oldwheat HB User
Energy increase, how long does it take?

Hello Everyone!

I was just put on .125mcg synthroid med for hypo thyroid. My energy level is nill and I can fall asleep at 6 pm or driving at times, the good thing is I pull : over in time. Has anyone felt their energy level go up? How long does it take? I also gained 30 pounds and hope this will come off. Any thoughts? Thanks a million!!!!
Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
(female)

opalfire HB User
Re: Energy increase, how long does it take?

Laura.....Synthroid doesn't work for everyone. You may need to be switched to Armour which has both the T3 and T4. You're obviously not converting enough T4 into T3, the usable form of thyroid hormone. The T3 in the Armour peaks after 2 hours and lasts 6 hours, a total of 8 hours. People often cut the tabs in half and take one half after breakfast and one half after supper. This is not necessary if it works all day with doing that. The point in this explanation is that you won't get sleepy when you're taking the correct dosage for YOU!
Also, you need to get your Free T3 and Free T4's done...which need to be in the mid-upper ranges. If your doctor won't do them, but sticks with only using the TSH and guessing at your dosage, you're not going to get anywhere with him...you may need to switch docs.
Good luck....and if you do have those Free T's, post them along with your lab normals, and we can help you figure out where to go.
Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #3

Lydiia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalfirejucika
Laura.....Synthroid doesn't work for everyone. You may need to be switched to Armour which has both the T3 and T4. You're obviously not converting enough T4 into T3, the usable form of thyroid hormone. Judy

This response kind of blows my mind. the original question is how long will it take to see results for someone who just started medication....the operative words being just started. there is no indication that this person needs Armour instead of Synthroid.

In answer to your question Laura, I was recently diagnosed as well and have been on the medication for 2.5 weeks. I saw an increase in energy at 2 weeks. My TSH was at 28 at Diagnosis and Ft4 was .7

I too was very skeepy. I have been up past 10 pm a few nights this week ! ( this is m 3rd week on meds) But then today, I felt tired after a long week at work and ended up taking a nap in the afternoon ...so I am not 100 % there yet.

Our meds will likely need to be adjusted up after the first 6 weeks also.

I think that everyone is different. I've heard that it takes the full 6 weeks to really affect your overall numbers....but I have no doubt that I feel alot better after just 2 weeks.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
(female)

DannDees HB User

If your dose is right you will see a difference in 2 weeks. I was just cleaning house 1 day and thought oh my , I am not tired . my weight was 160 when my normal is 125. I went down to 130 in a matter of 6 weeks..I am not sure if it was the meds or the low carb diet I was doing. I also got alot of my hair back although it is still thinner then it used to be..Good days are ahead of you..

Old 05-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannDees
If your dose is right you will see a difference in 2 weeks. I was just cleaning house 1 day and thought oh my , I am not tired . my weight was 160 when my normal is 125. I went down to 130 in a matter of 6 weeks..I am not sure if it was the meds or the low carb diet I was doing. I also got alot of my hair back although it is still thinner then it used to be..Good days are ahead of you..
This is inspiring for me! I gained a good 15 lbs from going hypo, spent the first 6 weeks on a dosage that was too low and didn't do anything. It's only been 5 days for me on my new dosage (50mcg) but your good report gives me hope. I'm doing a low carb diet, too. (Plus I'm a workout maniac and do hours of cardio each week).

Thanks for the hope. I hope it helps the original poster, too.
Glynis

Old 05-16-2004, 10:53 AM   #6

oldwheat HB User

Hi everyone,

All the input is great keep it up. I will let you all know how things are progressing. My TSH is 2 and the only test I have had. I have tons of hair but the dry skin (eczema is bad). Well time to work on the weight issue, Im off on a long brisk walk!

Old 05-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I can't comment on the time it will take to see improvement. That's a pretty individual response.
But I do have to say... for a TSH of only 2, 125 mcgs. is a huge starting dose! It could easily cause a big jolt to your system. Because doctors never warn you about what might happen at the beginning of treatment, don't be surprised if you start feeling pretty bad in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
I can't comment on the time it will take to see improvement. That's a pretty individual response.
But I do have to say... for a TSH of only 2, 125 mcgs. is a huge starting dose! It could easily cause a big jolt to your system. Because doctors never warn you about what might happen at the beginning of treatment, don't be surprised if you start feeling pretty bad in a couple of weeks.
125mcgs is a high dose for anyone to start on. But Midwest is right. If you were not bumped up from a lower dose of Synthroid, you could very easily go into hyPER within a couple of weeks.
As far as the time it will take to see improvement, generally it's said to be 4-6 weeks. But some say they notice an improvement in a few days and some say a few months. There's no way anyone can guess how long it will take for you to see an improvement.
Barb

Old 05-16-2004, 01:52 PM   #9

oldwheat HB User

Hummmm,
I neglected to say a year ago I was on 75mcg and nothing... what are the symptoms of hyper? I will watch for it!

Old 05-16-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Even if a doctor suspects you'll eventually need a high dose, he'll usually start low and gradually increase every few weeks till the needed dose is reached.

Beware of increased sweating and heat intolerance, rapid heart rate, irregular heart rhythms, frequent bowel movements or diarrhea, increased BP, anxiety, tremors, weakness of muscles in the extremities, and/or headaches... to name the most common ones.

Old 05-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #11

MandyS HB User

I've been on synthroid for one month and noticed that after two weeks I stopped gaining weight. My weight is now stable, I am not losing any. I found out I was pregnant a few days after I was diagnosed with hypo and started a new job so I really haven't felt like I've had much energy at all. This time I am blaming the lack of energy on the pregnancy and not the hypo. I took another blood test (three weeks after the first one) due to the pregnancy and my TSH had gone from 10.7 to 2.something (don't remember at the moment).

Old 05-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #12

achilders HB User

Hi all,

I have been on 50mcg of Synthroid now for I think about 12 days? I really don't think I can tell a difference yet? I am just as fatigue as before if not a little worse?? I just wish it would start helping right when we start the meds because I have no energy to clean my house and get ill at times among other side effects? I do hope you can see the results soon! Keep us all posted on any good results you get with the synthroid. I will be sure to post about my experience as well.

April

Old 05-17-2004, 05:25 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilders
Hi all,

I have been on 50mcg of Synthroid now for I think about 12 days? I really don't think I can tell a difference yet? I am just as fatigue as before if not a little worse?? I just wish it would start helping right when we start the meds because I have no energy to clean my house and get ill at times among other side effects? I do hope you can see the results soon! Keep us all posted on any good results you get with the synthroid. I will be sure to post about my experience as well.

April
It's not uncommon to feel a little worse before you start feeling better. Just keep in mind that some people do better on one medication as opposed to another. The fillers in the meds can make a big difference.
Barb

Old 05-17-2004, 06:03 AM   #14
(female)

BonBe HB User

.....and I started 8 years ago on 100mgs of 'eltroxin' (same as synthroid) for about 5 weeks, and developed the symptoms midwest mentions here, and was cut to 50mgs where I stayed until last month, when I felt the need to be upped, to 75mg which seems so far to be good.

I am allowing for some of the symptoms to go away, (the loose bowels, and various other things, which prob were as a result from the recent bout of 'ahem' hahah which by the way...I am feeling quite ok today.....may even get dressed!

so some days are good for us, some are not.... I have not yet found a consistant good feeling of well being yet.... doubt that it really exists, but life is much better for me than it was 9 years ago to be SURE~!

Bonnie Lea

Old 05-17-2004, 07:18 AM   #15
Inactive

hypodude HB User

[QUOTE=Lydiia]I was recently diagnosed as well and have been on the medication for 2.5 weeks. I saw an increase in energy at 2 weeks. My TSH was at 28 at Diagnosis and Ft4 was .7
QUOTE]

Lydiia, I was curious what your T3 and Free T3 scores were before you got started on meds. Im trying to find out what exactly is wrong with me. I have a TSH of 15.8, T4 of .9 and Free T3 of 3.66 which is High Normal, but my T3 Total was High Abnormal. I just don't get why Im Hypo and have a high T3. I thought T3 and T4 are supposed to be low if your Hypo?

Closed Thread