It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User
Unhappy Anyone else have skin discoloration?????????

I have wanted to ask this before but my physical symptoms seemed to outweigh asthetic ones. Does anyone else out there have skin discoloration beginning on the cheeks or under the jaw line and continuing down both sides of the neck. I developed these in my mid to late 30s but was only diagnosed hypo at 49. It has been suggested to me that this goes along with being hypo but I've never heard of it manifesting itself like this. If anyone out there has this, does it ever go away or at least become less prominant as meds are adjusted to the correct dosage? I know it's a silly thing in the grand over view of life but it has been my experience that if U feel good about the way U look, U feel good about many other things too. These look dreadful to me. In the winter I hide it with long hair but in the summer I put my hair up and they show. I am rambling, I'll stop now.

Patience 50/ Bonnie

Old 05-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User
Re: Anyone else have skin discoloration?????????

Do a web search on vitiligo. It is related to thyroid problems from what I've read. I have hyper pigmentation on my feet... lots of large splotches of darker brown pigmentation. Mine might just be due to swelling. It developed when I was pregnant. Mine's probably not related to the thyroid, although it could be. I think vitiligo is usually splotches of lighter colored skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Vitiligo is an autoimmune disease. Although it's not directly caused by the thyroid, people with an autoimmune disease are likely to get more than one.
So if you have Hashi's or Grave's, your chances of having (or getting) another autoimmune disease is increased.
Barb

Old 05-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of vitiligo before. After reading about it I don't think that is what I have but one never knows. I first developed dark blotches on my arms and lower legs during my last pregnancy too. My OBGYN at the time told me it was from a hormone deficiency and would clear up after delivery. That was 28 years ago. The discoloration has gotten darker over the years and then in my 30s I developed this reddish to brown blotches on my jaw line and proceding down my neck to my collar bones on both sides. Again, a Dr. told me it was a hormone deficiency but he didn't know what because it was too early for menopause. I don't remember him testing for anything, just told me not to worry about it, it wouldn't hurt me.

Just lately my husband saw someone on the road with the same markings and asked about it and this person told him she was severely hypo and that many hypo's have this. With that info I decided to ask if anyone on the board has the discoloration too.

For those who were following my posts a couple of weeks ago when I was feeling really rotten and they ran some x-rays and tests, it seems there is a problem with my heart after all. Have an appt. on Tuesday morning to discuss what they found on the echo-cardiogram when they did a more thorough study of the video and still shots. I don't think I want to know any of this. Chicken I guess. At any rate, I'm going to find out whether I want to or not. Wish me luck. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Patience 50/ Bonnie

Old 05-16-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Please try not to get too scared. My dad's cardiologist gave us a scare like that. He does have congestive heart failure and has lived with it successfully for many years. My sister and I thought what else could be wrong? We imagined every horrible thing you could possibly think of. We even thought the doctor was going to tell us to prepare for the worst. I don't know why we thought that because my dad was doing just fine. Turns out the doctor eliminated a couple of his meds. Said he didn't need them anymore. And that's what the scare was about. Most of the time, whatever they find is not as bad as our mind's imagine it to be. Just take it one step at a time. It's a lot easier to cope with life that way.
Please let us know what you find out. As you probably know by now, we care.
Good luck!
Barb

Old 05-16-2004, 07:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Thanx Bosmom. It is a comfort to know someone is hoping for the best with me. I have always been the strong one in my family so no one ever sees me as needing strength from anyone. I have not had any chest pains for a couple of weeks now and I haven't had any other muscle cramps either, not even in my back or legs. Guess the higher dose of meds is finally catching up. With any luck at all this is just going to be one of those things that might bear watching for the future and nothing else. U can be sure I will post Tues afternoon when I get home. Thanx again.

Patience 50/ Bonnie

Old 05-16-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi again, Bonnie... (I'd rather call you "Patience"... It seems to suit you so well... Plus, it's a pretty name all of its own )
I've never heard of that brown discoloration being linked to hypoT. Your husband was sweet to approach a total stranger about that... Clearly he's thinking about you while he's away on the road.
Crossing my fingers for you about the heart condition...

Old 05-17-2004, 04:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Patience, 40 lashes to me with a wet noodle! I can't believe I forgot to mention this to you. I had an EKG done a couple of years ago. I had chest pain and skipped heartbeats as my main complaints. EKG showed nothing so doctor sent me for a stress test. That revealed a "slightly" abnormal heartbeat but the cardiologist said not to worry. My mom died of a heart attack and my dad has CHF so I, of course, worried my butt off. Last year, I had the chest pains, skipped heartbeats and racing heartbeats. I had to wear a 24 hr holter monitor which revealed NO irregularities. Funny how it just "cleared up" on it's own.
Barb

Old 05-17-2004, 05:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Thanx again Bosmom. Like U, I've had chest pains before. During the past 3 years I've had several episodes but when tests were done nothing was revealed. Now that I know I was undermedicated for over 4 years, and we all know being undermedicated causes muscle cramps, aaand the heart is a muscle, I truly suspect that was the cause. My only fear now is that there may be some kind of permanent damage that is going to have some effect long term. No point in guessing though, Tuesday will come soon enough. Still wavering between wanting to know and not wanting to know. I'm sure U understand what I am saying. I am so grateful to have friends on this board, even if U R annonomous, who know how I feel and understand my fears.

Patience 50

Old 05-17-2004, 07:08 AM   #10
(female)

DannDees HB User

I have alot of freckles but I am very tan. I tan because of psoriasis. I noticed dark spots on my legs that I knew were not just big freckles, the skin on them even feels different to me.They are on my legs from my knees down, I have a new one on the upper part of my leg. Noone thinks nothing of mine because of my freckles and my tan skin , but I know the difference. I am in the process of finding out about the adrenal gland..good luck to you and keep us posted..

Old 05-17-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Thanx DanDees. I wasn't going to check the boards until after my Dr. appt in the morning but I'm sooooo glad I did. U can bet I will ask my Dr. about Addison's. I printed off some pix from Addison web sites that look very much like the discolorations I have. The only symptoms that don't fit are the loss of appetite and loss of weight. Off the rest fits, fatique, muscles cramps and weakness, others that parralell hypo symptoms. It says it is also related to hypothyroidism. Learn something everyday.

Patience 50

Closed Thread