It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004, 12:19 PM   #1

sunishah18 HB User
Unhappy Low TSH, High T4 - Hypo symptoms?

Hi,

I'm new to the board and I was wondering if anyone could please help me out there.

I'm very very confused at the moment. I've always been one of those people who are always cold. I've also always struggled to lose weight, have very dry skin and am constipated. More recently I've been feeling very tired and depressed for no reason. I never before related this with having anything to do with my thyroid. However, recently I had a blood test and found that I have a TSH reading of 0.17 and a total T4 reading of 16.2. Had an ultrasound scan today and was told I have one nodule on the right side which seems ok and 2 nodules on the left which are "conflicting". The lady told me one nodule is showing up bright on the scan and the other is dark. I have absolutely no idea what this means. From my symptoms and research on the internet I feel I have hypothyroidism. However, my blood tests results suggest the opposite. But I don't have any of the hyper symptoms. I was also told I have positive antibodies. Again, I really don't know what this means.

Could anybody shed some light? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Low TSH, High T4 - Hypo symptoms?

Nice to meet you!
I don't know how much I can help, but I'll try.

Hypo and hyper symptoms often "cross over" or mix. They aren't completely clear cut for everybody. It would be quite unusual for your blood tests to look so hyper without having any hyper symptoms, though. I don't quite know how to address that part of your question.

The 'bright' and 'dark' nodules probably signify that one is 'hot' and one is 'cold'. A hot nodule can produce T4 independently of the gland itself, so the combination results in too much T4 in the bloodstream - hyperT.
A cold nodule is worrisome because malignancies are most often found in cold nodules. I want to stress strongly though, that not all cold nodules are cancer... 95% of them are not, so don't worry yet. Your doctor will likely want to biopsy a cold nodule, if that's what you have.

Thyroid antibodies are found in two thyroid diseases: Graves' disease, which causes hyperT; and Hashimoto's disease, which causes gland failure and hypoT. TSAb antibodies are found with Graves'. TPO and/or Tg antibodies are found in Hashimoto's [an older test is sometimes done in search of anti-microsomal ABs].
Do you know which ABs were found on your test?

That's about all I know... wish I could help more, but I'm hypo and know only really basic stuff about hyper.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 04:14 AM   #3

sunishah18 HB User

Thanks for your help Midwest1. I don't know which antibodies were found but I have an appointment with the consultant on 2nd june so hopefully I'll know more after that. I did ask the lady when I had the ultrasound whether I could have hyperthyroidism and she said it was unlikely. If really hope that's not the diagnosis because I really don't want to go on any medication that is going to make me put on MORE weight. I'm already struggling as it is and it's really getting me down.

Thanks for your help once again and if you have any other advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
I did ask the lady when I had the ultrasound whether I could have hyperthyroidism and she said it was unlikely.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that she's right.
Even if you are hyper, though, you shouldn't expect automatically that the meds will make you gain more weight. It might well happen that the re-balancing of the hormones will reset your metabolism and make it even easier to lose.
Let us know what you find out at your June 2 appt.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Sunishah18

Welcome! I too am new to the Thyroidism board but I have been a regular ont the Lupus board. I am at risk for both and my of my symptoms have pointed to Lupus; however, my labs never do. Well, last Wednesday, my labs finally pointed to something (I have been feeling like a hypercondriac since the labs never substantiated my complaints). Well, my TSH was <0.01. I had the first part of my Thyroid Scan yesterday and I go back for the 2nd part. I too have very few hyperT symptoms. But I have hypoT symptoms. The only hyperT symptom I can point to is the tremors. My boby ticks and flinches of and on all day long. I haven't lost a pound! Wouldn't that be great? To the contrary I have been gaining and then sticking to the same weight (overwegiht!) for months. I even cut out redmeat and other fats to reduce my weight but my clothes are just as tight as they were before. I too have always been cold and I still am. I have noticed that I have am very sensitive to the sun. I used to love basking in its rays but lately I run for shade. Well, best of luck to us both. I'll update you on what happens today.

Blessed

Old 05-27-2004, 02:20 PM   #6

sunishah18 HB User

Blessed4Life - I hope it all goes well for you today and you get some sort of clarification of what the problem may be. I totally sympathise with you. My clothes have been getting tighter and tighter even though I'm eating healthy and working out 5-6 times a week. It's so frustrating and sometimes I feel like giving up on the gym. What's the point if I work that hard yet still put on weight? But then I dread to think what I'd be like if I didn't go!

Anyway, let us know your results. By the way, excuse my ignorance but what is Lupus?

Midwest1 - thank you for all your advise and support. I've been doing some reading regarding the Fine Needle biopsy procedure. I understand the risks of the cold nodule being cancerous are low but I still can't help worrying. I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to have the needle biopsy done because you are effectively puncturing the nodule by sticking a needle in it. Which means that any potentially cancerous cells can 'leak'. Do you think this is true? I have my appointment next wednesday. I can't wait to get it over and done with. I was hoping that I'd go and get some treatment straight away but that doesn't look too likely now. So it's all just worry wait, worry wait at the moment!

Closed Thread