It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 12:31 PM   #1

mytell HB User
Newbie w possible hypo-Emergency room?

Hi everyone. I am so glad I found this board and hope I can get some insight here.
I am diagnosised with severe derpression and have been put on Synthroid mainly as a booster to my prozac, since hormone levels were in the normal range when tested about 3 years ago.
My symptoms have worsened in past few weeks including:
Leg pain and buckling knees
fullness in throat
extreme fatigue
confusion
I reported this to my doctor who gave me a prescription for lab tests and he is going to see me in two weeks.
I feel like I can't withstand these symptooms, my legs ache horribly, I usually stay with a heating pad on them and when I am awake I am very slow.
Does anyone know if these symptoms require immediate attention or if waiting two weeks will make them worse.
PS
the doctor who order the test is a psychiartrist, I have no general md
thanks in advance
Meechie

Old 05-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Newbie w possible hypo-Emergency room?

Please DON'T rely on a psychiatrist to diagnose and treat anything physical. If you don't have a GP, go to the ER.
Why did your psychiatrist think synthroid would would help boost Prozac? I was on Prozac and Xanax at the same time before I was diagnosed as hypo. Antidepressants do NOTHING if the thyroid isn't working correctly. I know from experience.
I had depression so bad before my hypo diagnosis, I drove myself to the ER and told them I was afraid I was going to kill myself. That's when I found out I was hypothyroid. Turned out, the depression was caused by my hypothyroidism. I don't know if yours is or not. But I would say that even with the "normal" results, it's definitely worth investigating.
There are SO MANY people here on this board who were diagnosed hypothyroid when their tests came back well within "normal" ranges. Upon further testing (thyroid antibodies), these people learned they had Hashimoto's Disease.
Look at the 'stickys' at the top of the messages (the first three messages) and you'll understand this a lot better. Also, do a search on Hashimoto's.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I would not go to the ER for any of the four symptoms on your list. They won't be able to do much for you in the way of improving your situation; and IMO, the ER is for life-threatening emergencies ~ chest pain, severe bleeding, head trauma, severe burns, suicidal thoughts, etc. Using the ER for non-life-threatening conditions creates problems for the personnel and legitimate emergency patients alike. As bad as your symptoms make you feel, you aren't likely to solve them at the ER.

Knowing what I know now about thyroid conditions, I'd ask for a copy of those lab reports that show supposedly "normal" levels. Most doctors will tell you the levels are normal only because they're within the lab's range. That does not mean the levels are necessarily "normal" for you as an individual.

What kind of tests did the doctor you're seeing in two weeks order for you? Thyroid tests? The best ones to have done for thyroid would be TSH, free T4, free T3, and thyroid antibodies.

Last edited by midwest1; 05-22-2004 at 01:32 PM.

Old 05-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #4

mytell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmom
Please DON'T rely on a psychiatrist to diagnose and treat anything physical. If you don't have a GP, go to the ER.
Why did your psychiatrist think synthroid would would help boost Prozac? I was on Prozac and Xanax at the same time before I was diagnosed as hypo. Antidepressants do NOTHING if the thyroid isn't working correctly. I know from experience.
I had depression so bad before my hypo diagnosis, I drove myself to the ER and told them I was afraid I was going to kill myself. That's when I found out I was hypothyroid. Turned out, the depression was caused by my hypothyroidism. I don't know if yours is or not. But I would say that even with the "normal" results, it's definitely worth investigating.
There are SO MANY people here on this board who were diagnosed hypothyroid when their tests came back well within "normal" ranges. Upon further testing (thyroid antibodies), these people learned they had Hashimoto's Disease.
Look at the 'stickys' at the top of the messages (the first three messages) and you'll understand this a lot better. Also, do a search on Hashimoto's.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Barb

Old 05-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #5

mytell HB User
Talking Re: Newbie w possible hypo-Emergency room?

Dear Barb,
Thank You for this reply and ur other post!!! OMG your experience sounds so much like what I think mine may turn out to be. I have been on disability for "depression" for several years, but I don't think I am disabled because I am depressed but, depressed because I am "disabled and hypothyroid". I think that will make sense to your right?
What a relief to hear I am not alone!! This psychairtrist has been like a father to me, so I do rely on him so and this is the first time I questioned his judgement. But your reply makes me understand that he is probably looking at it from a psychological view point instead of a medical one. I don't have a GP, having only medicare I can't afford to see a regular doctor, but I am motivated to try to save up for one now.
Thank you so much, you don't know how much your time and effort mean to me and i WILL definitley let you know how things turn ou!!! Thank you a million!!

Old 05-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #6

mytell HB User

Barb
May I ask how are you doing now? Is your depression elevated to some extent. Oh what a blessing to think that after all these different anti depressants haven't done squat there may still be hope!!!

Old 05-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #7

mytell HB User

I hear you Midwest, and normally I would not think of abusing the ER in that way, it's only that after visiting the doctor and still having those and more symptoms, (i am unexplainably exhausted, blurry vision, basically hardly functioning) that I would hope that maybe I might get a doctor to look more closely. I don't have money for a private doctor and I am just afraid I will get worse and worse waiting on this doctor. but I hear you and I appreciate your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
I would not go to the ER for any of the four symptoms on your list. They won't be able to do much for you in the way of improving your situation; and IMO, the ER is for life-threatening emergencies ~ chest pain, severe bleeding, head trauma, severe burns, suicidal thoughts, etc. Using the ER for non-life-threatening conditions creates problems for the personnel and legitimate emergency patients alike. As bad as your symptoms make you feel, you aren't likely to solve them at the ER.

Knowing what I know now about thyroid conditions, I'd ask for a copy of those lab reports that show supposedly "normal" levels. Most doctors will tell you the levels are normal only because they're within the lab's range. That does not mean the levels are necessarily "normal" for you as an individual.

What kind of tests did the doctor you're seeing in two weeks order for you? Thyroid tests? The best ones to have done for thyroid would be TSH, free T4, free T3, and thyroid antibodies.

Old 05-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #8

Renee' HB User

Mytell, are there any clinics, etc, near you where you could go? Bless your heart, I understand. But what these ladies have said is true. You really can NOT just go by a doc (and they may be sincere, and mean well) if he says that your thyroid tests are normal. I suffered for 18 years with "normal" thyroid tests, but not one single doctor EVER tested me for thyroid antibodies. I ended up getting myself tested by using a lab over the Internet that these dear folks here mentioned, and I found out I had hashi's. EIGHTEEN YEARS!!! Don't give up! You deserve to feel better!!!!

Old 05-22-2004, 08:00 PM   #9

mytell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee'
Mytell, are there any clinics, etc, near you where you could go? Bless your heart, I understand. But what these ladies have said is true. You really can NOT just go by a doc (and they may be sincere, and mean well) if he says that your thyroid tests are normal. I suffered for 18 years with "normal" thyroid tests, but not one single doctor EVER tested me for thyroid antibodies. I ended up getting myself tested by using a lab over the Internet that these dear folks here mentioned, and I found out I had hashi's. EIGHTEEN YEARS!!! Don't give up! You deserve to feel better!!!!

Thanks Renee. Sorry to hear you went through so much, but I appreciate you sharing. That is a wonderful idea, to just get tested instead of pleading with my doctor. God Bless you!!

Old 05-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Mytell,
May I suggest a good book for you to read? The Thyroid Solution, by Dr. Ridha Arem covers the mental aspects of thyroid disease in depth. He recommends combining ADs with supplemental T3 for depression that's unresponsive to ADs alone.

I hope I didn't seem judgmental with my answer about the ER. I should have been clearer, I guess. My point was that the ER can't do anything to help the situation, because they won't test your thyroid in detail, and they won't prescribe med for it even if they recognize something abnormal.

Your symptoms may get worse within two weeks, or maybe they won't. There's no telling. But even though you may feel like death warmed over, there is no imminent danger in waiting to be seen by the doctor.

Old 05-23-2004, 05:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

MYTELL --Hi there!

What I would suggest is using a walk-in clinic. There seem to be a lot of them lately that have sprung up. Does your town have one? These health clinics advertise "walk-in" care for those who need medical attention and who do not regularly have a primary care physician and/or GP. If you have one, ask the receptionist if they have a DO on the staff and if it would be possible to be seen by him/her. The DO may be able to help you with the thyroid problem.

These clinics offer lower fees than the usual medical groups and accept Medicare Part B.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:37 AM   #12

mytell HB User
Cool Re: Newbie w possible hypo-Emergency room?/Update on "newbie"

First thank you, Midweest for the recommendation. You were not judgemental. In fact had I gone in with just those symptoms I probably would have gotten little attention and convinced myself that there reeally was nothing wrong. in fact the er doctor screamed at me, "What is wrong with all these patients with no regular doctors!!"
Califlower, i know what you are refering to and that is awonderful idea. Where I live no private physican's take the Medicare without the 20 percent lleft over in advance, but
Guess what I was "driven" to emergency room by the pain of my "headache", (it was more than that, but I couldn't describe it yesterday.) about 1 am I went in and was put on steroids and tylenol with codeine because I have some type of "inflamation in my temples" is about alll I could get out of the doctor. But he ran blood test and said I have 2 blood levels that need to be followed on Mondya. I don't understand yet if these blood levels were related to thyroid or not, but when I go back Monday to the hoshpital clinic, I will ask them to do the levels from the Psych doctor and these. if that doesn't make any sense it's because I have yet to understand it
Bosmom, than you SO MUCH. I AM GLAD I WENT TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM, AFTERALLLL AND WILL KEEP IN TOUCH, AND HOPE THAT ONCE i CAN SEE STRAIGHT, LOL AND GET SOME EXPERIENCE I CAN HELP OTHERS LIKE YOU ALL HELPED ME.!!!! i WILL BE BACK!!!
mICHELE

Old 05-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Hi Mytell! I am much better now. Thanks for asking. I don't go to a psychiatrist now. I did see a counselor for a while. My husband is a recovering alcoholic so I've found help in a 12 step program that's helped me tremendously. I believe that professionals can do a wonderful service to us. It sounds like you have a great relationship with your psychiatrist.
I don't know why I didn't think of CaliforniaSunflower's suggestion. After all, I go to my local county clinic. I don't have any insurance or job so I know the true value of a dollar. I pay a discounted fee to see the doctor. I don't know what state you live in but here in Illinois, there are programs to help those who are on Medicare who are elderly or disabled. They help (depending on your income) with the expenses Medicare doesn't cover. And your county may have programs in addition to your state. Do a search on your state's and your county's websites for these types of programs or call your local health department for more information.
I hope this helps!
Take care!
Barb

Old 05-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Mytell--I am keying in on the inflammation and temple pain with headache.

I suspect (based on my experiences in the past year) that one of the blood tests is a Sedimentation Rate, also referred to as an ESR. This measures the level of inflammation in your system. If Sed Rate or ESR is high, it is a red flag if you are having one-sided temple pain, headache, with blurred vision and age 50 or over. If you meet this criteria, I'm wondering if you are going to get a temple biopsy after the test results. Be sure to follow up on them and if you notice any worsening, do not delay going back to the ER.

Or it just could be that the ER doc is checking to see if you are in an autoimmune flare-up. I would love to know what other test they did?

Hugs to you, Cal Sun

Old 05-23-2004, 01:42 PM   #15

mytell HB User

Cali Sun
thats exactly what my test paper is tommorow says, ESR [something] biospy referal, but I am only 36 yrs old female african american. whoa!!! thanks for the heads up now I will do a search.

Closed Thread