It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User
Woke up to shaking sensation

Anyone had this? I woke up last night, wide awake and feeling hyper, and had the strangest sensation. It felt like the bed was shaking. It slowly diminished, then was replaced with a sensation of rocking side to side, like in a boat. Nothing disturbed my husband, and I don't think I was actually moving.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Woke up to shaking sensation

I've never experienced that but have heard someone mention something similar. I don't know what caused it but I think the person said something about an inner ear disturbance. But I don't think that would explain the feeling of the bed shaking.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

I'm seeing nothing anywhere on the net that sounds even remotely like this... except for panic attacks. However, there was no fear or anxiety involved. I was alert - hyper - but somehow unconcerned, more curious. Never had anything like it, it was extremely weird.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:54 AM   #4
(female)

BonBe HB User

hiya
well, I do not want to sound like an idiot. But when I first go to bed, I feel the bed sort of shaking, vibrating, something, and I ALWAYS think the cat is moving around or grooming herself, but when I lift my head to peek at her, she is not there. After about 5 or 10 min it stops. No infections in inner ears, no vertigo, just me going to bed. I thought it was my heart pumping, or blood rushing about doing what every good blob of blood does. and you are correct, it is only us, as my hubby never did 'feel the bed shaking'

yet another thing to make us go "HMMMMMMMMM"

Bonnie

Old 05-24-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User

No doubt a dumb question, but you have just perfectly described an earthquake, in case you're not used to them! Do you live in earthquake country? I used to live in CA, where there were several, and they would start out shaking and then level off to a slower roll! Sometimes not everyone in the household would awaken! Other times experimental aircraft would cause "sonic booms", which would rattle our windows, etc. The way we could tell if we'd felt a subtle quake or not was to check the nearest hanging lamp. If it were swaying, there'd been a quake. If not, something else had occured. But, seriously though, my son (15 yrs.) has had some symptoms for the past six mos. which sound as if they may be thyroid related. We cannot yet get any diagnosis from any of our doctors. But ONE OF HIS SYMPTOMS IS THAT WHEN HE AWAKENS QUICKLY (he says when someone else wakes him, and he isn't allowed to awaken naturally) HE OFTEN WILL SHAKE AS IF HE IS COLD. HIS JAW RATTLES, AND HE HOLDS HIMSELF STIFF. Sometimes I can tell he is having the problem even if he's standing far away from me, because he also has kind of a troubled, distant look on his face. I'll go and hug him, and notice the shaking. He says he's not cold, just shaking. Once I took his blood pressure during one of these "attacks", and it was 150/110! It sounds familiar what you mention about awakening suddenly, too. One night he all of a sudden became VERY aggitated. He said he felt as if he could build an entire fence very quickly or do something else that required an emense amount of energy (I thought he was having an adrenaline surge). He also seemed very hyper and talked a lot and the words came out quickly!! He doesn't always shake, but especially when he awakens early, he does. Hope this helps. Though he has not been diagnosed with thyroid problems, my Mother and brother both are hypo. So I keep thinking this will be the answer, if someone will only thoroughly test him. I may have to do it myself, through a private lab if I can't find a good doctor this week. Best of luck to you. Hoping you won't have this problem again. (P.S. - I know that some meds can cause this hyper feeling, as well. One doctor once told me that when Benedryl wears off, it can make you feel wide awake, yet when under it's original influence you will at first be drousy!) Tracy

Last edited by Keraly; 05-24-2004 at 09:09 AM.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

Not a dumb question. I had that thought myself as we 4 hours or so from a fault line and went to the USGS website to see if anything had been reported and nothing had. Now that I think about it, I might have had this sensation once before when I was awake and at work. No one else had felt anything and it wasn't reported as an earthquake either. So unless I'm in another physical dimension than everyone else, I don't think it was an earthquake. I don't think I was physically shaking. I've had times when I talk quickly and have been so hyper I literally run around in circles not know what to do with myself because my brain is moving so fast I can't even complete a thought. I turn to go one way, stop and turn to go another way, etc. Usually I feel very hypo though. I do have high bp and high pulse. I'm on meds for that. Usually I can feel the blood pounding. I don't think I noticed that.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
(female)

hopelm HB User

hello, new to this board. last april, after going to bed i was awoken with a shaking feeling. my teeth were rattling and i felt a like adrenaline rush through out my body. thats when the he&& began! as summer progressed i kept going to my dr. he told me in it was a siatica(?) nerve disorder. a virus. this and that, blah, blah. then in august my left ear started hurting and dr. gave me antibiotics, then give me a shot of hormones to give me a BOOST!! I HAVE NOT HAD PERIODS IN 4 YEARS. THATS WHEN EVERYTHING WENT DOWNHILL.On dec 10 i went to dr and told him this buzzing/tingling was making me crazy. another antibiotic for ear and did a cortisol lab test. by christmas weaker and exhausted. had trouble seeing at times and starting taking b/p when would break out in sweat. always 150/100. January 10 th going to work, had trouble seeing, got to work and was pale. two nurses took b/p and it was 164/104. called cardiologist and went in . had 24 hour urine for metanephrines and blood work. dr. said he thinks i have a pheochromocytoma which is a tumor on adrenal glands or there abouts. test came back high and i was sent endocrinologist for further testing. went on fmla-then disability. can barely get out of bed, still. that was january 20th, 06. starting getting horse, sore throat. put on 4th antibiotic for ear. more tests and the shaking got so bad i thought i was going to lay down in the back fourty and let the coyotes eat me up!! went on pheo board and found out about a drug called klonopin and what a miracle. it is addicting so i'm not happy about that. anyway. endo did thyroid u/s and whala!!!! full of nodules and cysts both lobes of thyroid. still sore throat. tpo ab was 83 normal <35. headaches, sore all over. rheumatoid factor high 27.7 and start getting severe pain in right hand. pain everywhere now. my endo, i fired him cause he asked me out on date, scum!! he's married... anyway, go to ear,nose,throat dr. and he does mri, ct and says its got to be and impinged nerve cause left side of face goes numb, and still. all bull since. went to neuro and says no impinged nerve. hmmm. well, go to new endo , puts me on syntroid . go to u of chicago to see endo takes me off synthroid and does labs. tpoantibioties in now 1280 norman <35!! she freaks,calls me and orders new labs which i'm having tomorrow. i have autoimmune thyroiditis/hash/ rheumatoid arth. and god knows what other autoimmune disease. there are over 100. now i'm told labs can vary with imflamation as well with symtoms. sometimes i wake up with a swollen face, sore throat, choking and pain all over!!! sometimes i would just cry so hard. now i'm use to this and just don't look in mirror. my hands swell and on palms have like blisters under skin and feet get red and swell till where i cant walk without pain. still shaking/ buzzing. still take klonopin and am just going to reg. dr. now till he talks to chicago dr then to a new endo out here and rheumatologist. thyroiditis can cause a whole slew of problems and symtoms. i still need to ruled out for a pheochromocytoma cause some levels were still high. i also have swollen cervical lymph nodes bilaterally left jugulodigastric region all 1cm and less. i also have a like ring/mass around my neck which i've been told it like 10 diff. things. i'm always nauseated, constipated and have gained 20 lbs. in one year. i lost my job and am on disability for now. i also have a adenoma on left adenoid area. adenomas are rarely malignant. but still with this whole mess, i'm scared and want answers from a real endo. chgo. was a joke and veryyy expensive. i'm light sensitive with eyes and occationally feel good enough to cook dinner , do dishes. if i go somewhere after 20 minutes my legs get heavy and i have to sit. all thyroid labs can go up and down.hashimotos IS an autoimmune disease and if you have that you can have more autoimmune diseases, okay. if in question of additional alarming symtoms go to an rheumatologist or endocrinologist. sorry this is so long. sincerely hopelm

Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

a couple years ago i used to wake up repeatedly with the bed shaking. but one time i really paid attention to it and it was me. at this time i had thought that i had MS.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I have that feeling frequently!! I just spent the last 3 weeks feeling that way CONSTANTLY! I had tremors also. I'm assuming it was a hyperT flare-up (I have Hashi's and swing between hyper and hypo). I'm just now coming out of it. I stopped taking my meds for a few days because I couldn't stand it anymore.

I'm not sure if that's what helped or not but I am feeling better. It's an odd sensation. My brother has anxiety attacks and says he feels that way but obviously has intense anxiety during them. I have absolutely NO fear or anxiety that accompanies the feeling...it's just weird.

Sorry I'm not much help !

Kelly

Old 05-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
(female)

WilmaD HB User

That was my first symptom of thyroid problems. I woke up feeling the bed was shaking and thought it was the dog. The first night I went back to sleep. The next night, it happened again (I awakened to it), and I realized it was I who was shaking! Then I had a panic attack!

I get lots of surges at night. I have Hashimoto's, too. I seem to go from hyper to hypo (actually, the hypo never really bothers me - the hyper is hell). When I'm feeling hyper, I tremor, twitch and shake. I also get wicked insomnia - it feels like I have adrenaline rushing through me. It's freaky.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I have that sometimes & relate it to my inner ear problems. If you think it might be inner ear check out meniere's.org there is a lot of good info there. Good luck!

Closed Thread