It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

raqwest HB User
Wierd sensations in throat/neck

I was diagnosed with Hashi's and also have an enlarged thyroid. One of my major symptoms is this strange feeling in my neck or throat area. It is kinda like under my chin area it feels tingly or pulling. When I touch the glands there, it feels tingly. My endo said it may be from the thyroid, but not definitely.

Then what the hell is this feeling!!! I have had it for 3 months. I just started Synthroid on Saturday. I am not sure if this will make the enlargement of my thyroid go away??

Does anyone else have this feeling in their neck or throat (it is so hard to pinpoint!!)

Thanks
Raquel

Old 06-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #2

Lydiia HB User
Re: Wierd sensations in throat/neck

You know, I have had the same thing. And thinking back, I've had it for years, I was always afraid it was my coratid ( spelling?) artery throbbing up high in my throat ...but it is at the top of my throat on the left side just below the jawline.

Let me know if you find out definately what this is. I am guessing it is somehow thyroid related.

I too have Hashis and for 4 weeks now I have also had a slightly sore throat right where my thyroid gland is. The little throb at the top of my neck has been more persistant since the sore throat started. before this.. I only felt it occasionally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I too was having weird feelings in my throat/neck. Mine feels almost like a burning ache, nothing thats really painful, just feels really funny. I am on my 2nd day of Levoxyl, and I have noticed its not as bad. Maybe it is our body's way of telling us there is something not right.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

My throat discomfort comes and goes, and consists of a "lump in the throat" feeling [even though my gland has never been enlarged so there is no actual lump] and a deep, intense, unscratchable itch in the front of my neck, between the notch where the collarbones come together and the base of the chin.
My doctor told me these can be signs of thyroid inflammation, which is experienced in different ways by different people - so yours might appear as an unpleasant "feeling". Antibody assaults would cause the inflammation that produces these symptoms.

Old 06-04-2004, 06:26 AM   #5
(female)

BonBe HB User

you know what Midwest?

I wish I knew exactly where the thyroid rests (graphically) maybe my collar bones are too well hidden (he he) but if I pretend to be skinny and inhale and hold my breath, I see a hollow sort of indent surrounded by a V shape which I think is where collar bones join in the front?

I refer to it as where an adams apple would be if there was one...(again I sound like an idiot, because I am not aware of women having 'apples' hahha Oh I dunno, But the V shape outline of that hollow is raised and red, and when I swallow, it doesnt hurt, nope, but it feels WEIRD I have or had enlarged thyroid, with a nodule which I will be getting ultra sound again as a (later than I should have waited) 6 month check on its growth rate.

the itchy feeling you describe I have never felt, just discomfort at times when eating things, and I do not gobble food and hurry eating...but stuff like bread, meat (those two items mainly) but also at times liquid hurts like the dickens all the way down the esophogus.

Just call me weirdo Bonnie I guess.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
...I see a hollow sort of indent surrounded by a V shape which I think is where collar bones join in the front?
Yeah, that's the place. Your Adam's apple is above the hollow, the thyroid is between the V-notch and the larynx (Adam's apple). And yes, women have 'Adam's apples' too; they just aren't as big as men's because of estrogen... or maybe because of less testosterone... a technical, but not very real difference, I guess.
I've never noticed my thyroid being enlarged, nor have three different doctors. I haven't asked - probably should - but wonder if I have the atrophic form of Hashi's, where the gland just kinda shrivels up and dies...

Old 06-04-2004, 08:17 AM   #7
(female)

BonBe HB User

Thanks a ton Midwest.... I had a feeling I was looking in the right spot. I have no swelling there at all (in centre of that v) My dad used to call our 'adams apple' an 'eve's core' haha. (strange family I have I know!!

One of my 'friends' (I have about 4 or 5 acquaintances with Thyroid problems,) one has exactly what you think may be your case. 24 years ago, when she was having her first born child, her thyroid went 'dead' When I met her about 5 yeas ago, we of course discussed stuff, and she told me she is on same meds as I am..... has been for all these years, and no there is never any incrrease or decrease, and she tried to tell me about her 'wizzend' up gland which she says is just not there anymore. gone phttttttt a memory of a previous time.....

I could never understand it.... never surgery, never any problems, with meds adjusting...alway happy content and never like me or anyone else I know. I have two friends like that happy contented TD patients..(those kind) perpetually content, happy etc. then there is me..... fiddling with stuff, ups and downs. Those dear sweet (what we all wish to be) happy TD patients.

I did not know there was that name associated with a totally useless gland.... MOST strange...but I am glad you said it...now I can sort of maybe understand her perpetual good feeling. (that plus she is a ordained minister at our Church) oh well.

Thanks for letting me in on the hunt for my illusive thyroid gland that doesnt appear from the outside, but maybe in the inside (according to some x rays I had a year ago)

Bonnie

Old 02-05-2005, 04:36 AM   #8
(female)

honeyluna1221 HB User

It may also be allergies. Allergies can cause all kinds of weird sensations in the throat and neck. Make an appointment to get tested.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

For most of us, fat or skinny, you will "see" the outline of your thyroid and know exactly where it is. Put both hands right under your jaw line and gently pull the skin from under your jaw upwards, like you were giving yourself a face lift. Now check just barely above that U-shaped dent in the center of your collar bone. Directly above that U-Shaped dent would normally be the isthsmuth of your thyroid and those 2 little lobes on each side, directly above and even perhaps a little down into your collar bone is your thyroid gland. It helps to check it in the mirror. It will look almost exactly like a pair of chicken lungs if you ever prepared a whole chicken for dinner with the giblets.

As for the weird sensations, swelling can cause other problems. There are tons of little muscles in the neck and if your thyroid is swelling considerably, it can be displacing some of those muscles, putting undue pressure on other areas. When my thyroid swells up, I too get a sharp burning sensation right at my collarbone area that extends under my collar bone by about 1/2 inch or so. It also makes the other muscles in my neck feel like I've been at football practice all day.

Closed Thread