It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #1
(female)

imoutrunning HB User
Angry Thyroid - Cellulite? Possibly Dumb Question

Okay, this is vain and this is probably lame sounding but... I have never had cellulite before. I am 40 years old and I am an athlete. I run 25 - 30 miles a week, bike another 160 - 200 minutes, lift weights, do yoga. I some how managed to keep up this schedule, though losing performance value, while going slowly hypo. I'm in the midst of being treated, 50 mcg Synthroid. (That dose will probably have to go up after my next labs). Well, in spite of my very firm, hard muscles, I noticed that I have developed cellulite on my thighs above my knees (not in the back or on the sides). (And yes, I gained a good 15 - 20 lbs due to the hypothyroidism, 5 of that is off now). Is this due to water retention from the hypothyroidism or something else related to hypothyroidism? Or should I just chalk it up to age? Has anyone else developed this only after going hypo? And how do you get rid of it if you're already exercising far more than the average person?

Thanks,
Glynis

Old 06-04-2004, 01:40 AM   #2

buxy HB User
Re: Thyroid - Cellulite? Possibly Dumb Question

Hi Glynis,

The thyroid doesn't really 'cause' cellulite, it's the weight gain and lower energy levels that allow it. Cellulite is just visible body fat. I own a perfomance lab and use high tech tools to measure metabolism, VO2 and body fat. My body has done the same thing. Gradually increasing body fat while maintaining heavy training and dieting. I believe where age comes in, is in where you hold body fat. For me it's on my upper abs, a place I've never had any visible fat before. It's extremely frustrating when you work as hard as you do and not get the results equal to the effort. I'm curious, is your heart rate extremely low, even for someone with your conditioning? Hopefully, you will get your optimal dosage going soon and keep trying till they get it right. I can't believe the difference in how I feel (I'm on Armour 120mg). I actually sweat now when I train, something that hasn't happened in three years and body fat is slowly returning to my normal levels.

Eve Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

Thanks for your reply. Even though I wouldn't wish this on anyone, it does help to know someone else is dealing or has dealt with the same problem.

Sweat: Actually, I sweat a ton. Ever since I became sick with Graves' Disease (1996), I've had what they call hyperhyrdosis. I used ATDs and went into remission, now my thyroid has conked out by itself -- and even though I'm hypo, the profuse sweating remains. It's horrible, too.

My heart rate *was* seeming low even when I was expending tremendous amounts of effort. That has begun to change and I'm back toward the upper end of my target zone when I push hard. Before I was Xd, I would be running for an hour and my heart rate wouldn't get up where it should.

My quadriceps are really developed and *that* is where the cellulite has shown up, on the fat lying over the muscles. Ewwwwwww.

I'm doing this "Penguin Athlete Summer Challenge" and I hope by the end of August that my thyroid meds are adjusted properly and this icky stuff gets off my body.

Glynis

Old 06-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
(female)

kemelar HB User

Glynis, I was doing a google search on cellulite and found the message you had posted regarding cellulite. I started taking Synthroid about 3 years ago...though I had very little cellulite...since I began taking synthroid I now have it all over. I am small framed I only weigh 120, I have never been no more than 20 lbs overweight. Also, I have actually thought about getting off synthroid and trying some natural remedies for hypothyroidism.

Has your cellulite improved?

Kem

Old 06-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
(female)

MOLLY6 HB User

I also have noticed this on my thighs. The majority of my weight gain is in the stomach and obliques. Never overweight = now 25lbs overweight. I actually weigh more now than when I was 9 months pregnant with my kids. I did notice the back of my knees are horrible. They always look swollen although no pain, I am still jogging and attending my gym. I'm assuming this is thyroid (hopefully) and that it will resolve itself when meds are adjusted.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

Glynis, I was so glad to see your post. I'm 44, still trying to get diagnosed, I am SICK of doctors right now. I work out 7 days a week. I run for an hour every other day and hit the gym on the alternate days with an hour on the EFX and about 40 minutes with weights. My heart rate running (outdoors) is roughly 140, but that depends on the weather. I live in Texas and when it is hot, my heart rate is higher. During my hyper phase, I could be less than a mile into a run and have a heart rate of around 200, I would just stop and walk then (and cry). I have noticed my thighs are "softer", I am not sure where all that firmness has gone. Also during my hyper phase, I had an episode on the EFX of extreme leg discomfort and weakness that I had to stop within 30 minutes. I feel my performance is probably slipping too, but I am just thankful I can still perform at all and I will continue to do so. I think it helps tremendously with regard to thyroid issues. Do you get muscle weakness in strange places? I lift weights and those areas seem to do okay, but doing something as simple as carrying a load of laundry can cause my forearms to ache. I am still waiting to find out if I just had a silent thyroiditis or Hashimotos...wait, wait, wait. I am curious about others who are avid exercisers and have thyroid issues about their weight. I have fared fairly well. Although for my effort I put in and how I watch my diet, I should be like a rail, but I am not. I'm 5'2" and roughly 115, but that varies too.

Andrea (OSU alum!!!....go BUCKS!!)

Old 06-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
(female)

opalfire HB User

Ladies, I used to be a ballet dancer, slim, trim, and very athletic. When I turned 21, I started gaining weight and stopped dancing because I looked terrible! However, I had no clue about my thyroid because my doc said it was "normal". I am now 56 years old and was 55 lbs heavier, and just learned everything on this website 3 years ago. I found a doctor who gave me, not Synthroid (tried that but didn't work), but Armour thyroid. I now feel human, but also found that carbs are NOT my friend. I have slowly lost 15 lbs. through eating low glycemic index and low glycemic load foods, in strict moderation, along with lower-fat-levels-than-normal-people but not low as dieting crazes. It has been strict trial and error, lots of writing food journals and weighing myself till I'm crazy.
Strangely enough, hypothyroid folk also have non-pitting edema (often in lower legs and upper eyelids) which fluid pills will not touch (been there and done that too). It is actually your cells with the surrounding areas filled with mucus. They have lost the efficiency to rid themselves of it. In turn, you still have to drink plenty of fluids, at least 64 oz a day. Short of wearing tight stockings, I can't imagine how to rid myself of it. Any suggestions?
As for my heart rate, it doesn't seem to matter how far I walk, my heart rate never increases (that's the best exercise I can do at this weight, as I'm only 5'2", and still too heavy to jog...I don't own a bike). The more I walk daily, the lower my heart rate goes. I'm beginning to suspect a little adrenal failure here, but that's another fight with my doc!
Good luck!!
Judy

Old 06-21-2006, 02:11 AM   #8
(female)

josephina HB User
Smile Re: Thyroid - Cellulite? Possibly Dumb Question

...I was browsing the internet...re cellulite and armour thyroid tablets for hypo...and noticed also for the first time in my life that i started developing cellulite all over...front of thighs upper abdomen...arms ect...I'm a small build...eat very well and do regular excercise and have never had any celleulite and none in the family...I was a little annoyed that my doctor had omitted that this may be one of the effects...however, does anyone know if I stop the armour thyroid pills...whether the cellulite will reduce. Thank you so much for any feedback.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:56 AM   #9
(female)

opalfire HB User

Hi, it's not the Armour that's causing it, but your general physical condition caused by your underperforming thyroid (although years ago when I tried Synthroid, I gained even more weight). Also, like I stated in my last posting, adrenal fatigue has something to do with it too. I'm learning that once I handle my adrenal fatigue, I might also be able to lower my Armour thyroid a little since it affects everything including my thyroid function. My main concern now is not my weight (although that never leaves the back of my head) but my overall health, including waking up on my own in the morning (as opposed to waking with an alarm) and not falling asleep in the afternoon. My endo said that I have a "touch" of narcolepsy! NOT!! He wouldn't recognize adrenal failure because I don't have outright Addison's.
Judy

Old 06-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
(female)

josephina HB User

I had extreme fatigue for years...thinning hair...lack of sleep...what they defined as 'irratible bowel syndrome'...candida...ect...though I was always convinced that it had something to do with hormones...nothing came up in any tests, of the hormones that the doctors tested anyhow...until I finally went for saliva tests and discovered that my adrenals were functioning so badly that i was running on empty and had been for years...relative to my cortisol levels and dhea...so I eventually started to take dhea sublingual pills, keeping it always down to a minimal level 10-15mgs on average per day which started to make a great deal of difference in my energies (and I still never had any cellulite problems, water retention...despite all my symptoms)...then someone suggested that I go for thyroid tests which of course I had already been for...but as you know, the thyroid is rarely measured in the right way...and it was discovered that i was hypo and not hyper...so I started to take armour thryroid which has been working well (though my sleep has never properly been resolved for as long as I can remember)...from one a day to one every two days...and I have noticed this development of water retention all over...so I really feel that I should take the armour on the one hand..but I do not want my body to have to change for the worst due to that. However in the interim I was advised to stop the dhea if I wanted to get pregnant so I did...and maybe that is more the reason for cellulite than the armour...What do you think?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
(female)

kemelar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephina
...I was browsing the internet...re cellulite and armour thyroid tablets for hypo...and noticed also for the first time in my life that i started developing cellulite all over...front of thighs upper abdomen...arms ect...I'm a small build...eat very well and do regular excercise and have never had any celleulite and none in the family...I was a little annoyed that my doctor had omitted that this may be one of the effects...however, does anyone know if I stop the armour thyroid pills...whether the cellulite will reduce. Thank you so much for any feedback.

I actually stopped taking my synthroid for about a month to see if my cellulite would reduce, however I started experiencing alot of joint pain and decided I better start back on the synthroid. I would like to have tried for a longer length of time to stay off of the meds. If you decide to experiment let me know if it is successful.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:07 AM   #12
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

Okay, it has been ages since I first posted the question about cellulite. Since then I've been through many dosage changes with Synthroid, kept working out. When my TSH finally got down under 2.0, the weight AND cellulite began to come off...but then my TSH went up again. Synthroid could not keep my TSH at my goal of 1.0 to 1.5 - even increasing the dosage didn't help. My doctor allowed me to switch to Armour Thyroid 2 months ago... my TSH showed a dramatic change (my body really needed that T3)...and best of all, the cellulite is gone and the rest of the fat gained is finally going away.

Right now I do at least 1 hour of serious cardio 5X a week, 90 - 120 during my long run 1X per week, weight training 30 min 4X per week and yoga 3X per week 20 - 40 minutes. I was doing this then, too, but without getting results (other than keeping from gaining massive amounts of weight from my thyroid).

The Armour also enabled me to really feel *awake* and ready to roll in the morning. I used to be a morning person before hypothyroidism but had to drag myself out of bed to be at the gym early while on Synthroid. Since Armour I'm at the gym at 6:30am feeling ready to work out.

Glynis
42 yo.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi imoutrunning, How great - a success story! I think we all need those!

Congratulations on plugging along (at first) and MAKING IT!!

See, we all can make it!

Old 06-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #14
(female)

Starr747 HB User

Running....
Congratulations!!!! Wow...your journey is inspiring and has given me renewed hope. Thank you so much for sharing this with us all. It is so good to hear of successful journeys. That is how I'm looking at this...a journey. I believe that we all learn so much about ourselves, our fortitude, our attitudes and how we deal with conflict and obstacles when we're faced with a challenge...in our cases, a chronic health issue. I takes patience, persurverance and determination...an LOTS of support and education but it CAN be done...you've proven that. Be well and stay well!

Good Health!

Starr

Old 06-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
(female)

josephina HB User

...It would seem that relative to everyone's mail...that synthroid could be one of the causes of cellulite...would you say that armour thryroid could be as well or not?...or just being hypothyroid, which doesn't sound right seeing as I think I may have been hypo for a long time and have never developed cellulite until recently when I started taking armour and came off DHEA...I would much appreciate any views...Thank you!

Closed Thread