It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #1

Maricel HB User
Unhappy Thyroid producing antibodies and causing hives

I had an allergy exam and blood test. I now know i'm allergic to several things and my blood test showed that my thyroid is producing some type of antibodies that's causing my hives. My doctor however said it was nothing to worry about. I'm on several different medications for the allergies and itchiness. She said not to worry....but i'm worried....she also mentioned Lupus...but said that it wasn't lupus and she also mentioned hypothyrodism. My nerves are shot. I'm trying not to worry. Is anyone experiencing this.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid producing antibodies and causing hives

Your doctor clearly underestimates the damage that low thyroid function can do. Could it be that she doesn't want to lose the revenue your hives are producing for her? Hmmmm.... Those hives won't kill you; but untreated hypo can also cause heart disease, osteoporosis, muscle damage, and dementia... to name only few.

You need to have your thyroid function tested by a knowledgeable and uninvested doctor who will do right by you. The fact that you have thyroid antibodies means that you probably have Hashimoto's disease, which in time will destroy your thyroid gland. There's no way to stop it; that's just the randomness of genetics. But, you can stop the resulting damage by starting treatment for it... by supplementing the hormones your gland isn't making enough of on its own.
Why keep treating the symptom (hives) when you could eliminate the source?

Get a copy of those test results and post them here if you care to. Someone can give you an idea of what the doc may be hiding. You really shouldn't let this go. It's practically a guarantee that you'll develop many and worse symptoms than hives.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
(male)

ELDERPANTHER HB User

I too discovered my hypothyroid problem thru a visit to an allergist. Went to an endo and am now on Synthroid. Still get hives and swollen lips (only been on Synthroid for 2 months), but after a Benadryl or two it goes away. Question I have is after enough treatment will the hives ever go away.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:52 AM   #4

Maricel HB User

Got a copy of my test results.

Here are the two that are out of range:

Thyroid AutoAntibodies

*Thyroglobulin Antibodies 7H
*Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies >70H

Old 06-12-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you have TPO and Tg antibodies [which you do] and symptoms [like urticaria], it's strong evidence you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. This is an autoimmune disorder of the thyroid which causes eventual total failure of the gland. It's incurable, but treatment is simple... Replace the missing thyroid hormones with a T4 (or T4/T3) supplement. A malfunctioning thyroid gland affects every bodily organ system, and causes a myriad of symptoms. I'll bet you have more than hives that you didn't even think might be connected to your thyroid.

You should have more thyroid testing. The best ones to do are TSH, free T4, free T3, and thyroid antibodies. Since you already know you have the antibodies, that wouldn't have to be repeated. (Don't let the allergist do the other tests; I wouldn't trust her advice about thyroid.)

Last edited by midwest1; 06-12-2004 at 08:04 AM.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
(female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDERPANTHER
I too discovered my hypothyroid problem thru a visit to an allergist. Went to an endo and am now on Synthroid. Still get hives and swollen lips (only been on Synthroid for 2 months), but after a Benadryl or two it goes away. Question I have is after enough treatment will the hives ever go away.
It's obvious that the Synthroid is not right for you. There are fillers and binders that will also cause more hives. I don't like Synthroid myself because it's incomplete. Most people do much better on Armour or another brand name. It has both the T3 (20%) and T4 (80%), both of which you need. If you're already hypothyroid, you're probably not making enough T3 anyway, so you might as well supplement it. Synthroid theory is that you will make all that you need, not a real supposition, but it sells Synthroid (all T4).
Good luck and keep us posted on your own thread. Get copies of your labs and post them along with the ranges. These are the labs you need for adequate dosage tracking: FT3 and FT4. The TSH is of no help as it only tracks the pituitary response to your T4 level, not a thyroid function tests. None of the other tests are of any worth, except for the antibodies testing, and all that tells you (since it's your own body attacking itself) why you are going to have swings in your thyroid levels!
Judy

Old 06-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #7

Maricel HB User

I've read that Synthroid causes hair loss. How about Armour? Are there any natural remedies?

Old 07-05-2004, 09:52 PM   #8

Maricel HB User

Going to see a Endocrinologist tomorrow.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:02 PM   #9

Maricel HB User

They told me no need for meds right now

Closed Thread