It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #1

miller01 HB User
why am I not sleeping...??

Can anyone tell me if being hypoT (hashis) can keep me awake at night? It seems to be around a certain time of month that I start wakin gup in the middle of the night..and can't get back to sleep. Maybe its perimenopause..I'm only 39 yo.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can sleep better??

Another thing is that I have been having anxiety problems...need help there too. Maybe I need to be on another medicine for that. I can't ride on highways anymore...big time phobia!!! HELP

Old 06-12-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: why am I not sleeping...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller01
Can anyone tell me if being hypoT (hashis) can keep me awake at night? It seems to be around a certain time of month that I start wakin gup in the middle of the night..and can't get back to sleep. Maybe its perimenopause..I'm only 39 yo.

Another thing is that I have been having anxiety problems...need help there too. Maybe I need to be on another medicine for that. I can't ride on highways anymore...big time phobia!!! HELP
gosh, that's awful (the hi-way thing) -- do you think your T3 might be a little high? i occasionally have nights when sleep just won't come, and it's generally when i'm feeling well, so perhaps your phobia is not related to your hypo ....

jb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

opalfire HB User
Re: why am I not sleeping...??

Quote:

Are you on any medications and what labs have you had done to check your levels, if any? Please post them, along with the lab ranges, if you have them.
There are times when your T4 is too low, often the week before your period, and you might need temporary adjustments during the week.....if you're on medicine. If not, get your Free T3 and Free T4 done before considering any kind of medications for anxiety, phobias, etc. Hypothyroid is one of the least recognized by docs of those issues.....and more often than not, are the very cause.
Let us know......we'll try to help you through this!
P.S. Sorry, forgot to mention that low T4 causes you to not be able to go into a deep sleep, so you don't sleep so well. However, it does go in cycles and sometimes you will sleep well, and other times you won't. Sleeping pills are NOT the answer....thyroid control is the answer.

Last edited by opalfire; 06-13-2004 at 10:33 AM.

Old 06-13-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I agree with Opal. Don't do the sleeping pill thing. That was another thing my doc had me on before my dx. I took Ambien. I had terribly wild nightmares every night! Once your thyroid is back to as normal as can be with hashi's, you'll sleep better.
If you haven't had your labs done in a while, it may be a good idea to get them tested again. You may be going on the hyper side of hashi's and a dose adjustment may be in order.
Barb

Old 06-13-2004, 09:14 PM   #5

miller01 HB User

I go to gyn tomorrow to get lab results from thyroid panel. I do know that my TSH was 4.3 from this same testing...I got it earlier than appt tomorrow.

My test results prior to that were two months ago:

TSH: 3.13 (.4-5.50)
FT4: 1.5 (.8-1.8)
FT3: 381 (230-420)

How can my FT4 be low and FT3 be high??? If I got increase in T4 wouldn't that make my FT3 go higher too???? Maybe something else is going on here...like you said. I don't need more anxiety. Help me out...this journey is long.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Miller01,
I am so sorry that you have the sleeping problems. I have problems like you. I go through spells of weeks with no sleep. Seems nothing helps me either. I don't know if it is hypo related, cause I feel pretty good now. Even, when I don't sleep, I don't feel as bad as I think I should. I think mine is stress related, I have too much on my mind lately. Hope you can find some relief!

Old 06-14-2004, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

I am a little confused myself. The TSH seems high at 3.13 since the new range is (0.3 -3.0), the FT4 seems fine, should be between (1.3-1.8), and the FT3 seems fine too, should be between (325-420). Do you have any other symptoms other than not being able to sleep and anxiety/fears?

I experienced anxiety/fears and sleeping problems when I was hypo. Most people experience inability to sleep when they are hyper.

Either case, in the meantime, limit caffeine and try a celestial seasonings tea called "sleepy time extra", it contains valerian root and it is very soothing and calming. Hope you figure this one soon, I know how difficult it is to function without sleep.

Mintchoc

Old 06-14-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: why am I not sleeping...??

Quote:

i'm hypo, and i have periods when i don't sleep and sometimes i have to sleep -- my insomnia doesn't have anything to do with stress ... and when i don't sleep, i get up earlier and none the worse for wear (like BJ) for the experience -- go figure!

i'd say don't stress about it -- look upon it as a long period of relaxed time when you can hear the birds waken and feel the cool morning breeze ... when i learned to do that, i was much better off!!

jb

jb

Old 06-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran

west end girl HB User

I can't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep !!!
& I wake up aching so much ...... ( sorry to moan)

Old 06-14-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by west end girl
I can't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep !!!
& I wake up aching so much ...... ( sorry to moan)
oh, the aching ... my legs used to scream at me -- i'd literally be in tears ...

i'm busy bloating now, b/c of the heat and humidity and the hypo -- my feet are like balloons ...

this is the place to moan, you big silly!

jb

Old 06-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

I've gone from aching stiff legs to not being sleepy ever, but very fatigued nonethless, and to feeling like I'm going to jump out of my skin. Actually, I think my legs were stiff again this morning. It's all running together now.

I do know that I went to transylvania today and those nasty vamps were quite hungry. Oh, and I get to pee in a bottle tomorrow. Woohoo!!! That should bring some excitement to my day.

Old 06-15-2004, 02:19 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

You're one of many who have this hypo symptom. My hypo friend here in the city and I deal with that too. You fall asleep and sleep for about 2 to 4 hours and then you are wide awake for a few hours or more. It's so yucky! I'm not a doc, but I think that once you get your T3 and T4 straightened out you'll sleep much better. The exception to that is stress as it throws your thyroid off too. Hope that helps. I know exactly what you're going through. It's a restless, irritable, hot/cold yucky feeling. I'm going through it right now.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:26 AM   #13
Veteran

west end girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossette2
You fall asleep and sleep for about 2 to 4 hours and then you are wide awake for a few hours or more. It's so yucky! I'm not a doc, but I think that once you get your T3 and T4 straightened out you'll sleep much better. .
I hope so

I dread the night time

Closed Thread