It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User
Ringing in ears

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly does "ringing in ears" sound like to everyone that has it? I hear what sounds to me like the electronic noise I hear when I turn the tv on but the sound / picture haven't come up yet. Is this what people are referring to? It seems to be getting worse.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Ringing in ears

That 'electronic whine' sound is what I've always assumed is meant by the term 'ringing' ears. I know it's a hypo symptom...Is it a hyper symptom too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 12:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

I've noticed it to be louder when I'm having hyperT hot flashes, so I'd say yes.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Unhappy Re: Ringing in ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMomMom
I've noticed it to be louder when I'm having hyperT hot flashes, so I'd say yes.
i have a loud whistle in one ear and something like a loud siren in the other ... since i've become hypo, the tinnitis is much worse, but it started about eight years ago when everything began to go strange, slowly, so i think it's just a hypo symptom ... i hadn't listened to loud music or been to many rock concerts and anyway, this came on about 20 years later, and quite quickly (6 mos. + 6 mos.) -- i cried b/c i thought i'd never be able to hear rain again ,and to some extent, i can't now ...

anyhoo, i think it's all wrapped up with hypo, unless you're a rock musician or something ...

jb
~ i've been reading up on graves disease, and what a horrible thing to have and not be DX'd with ...

Old 06-25-2004, 10:30 PM   #5
(male)

vs1988 HB User

Ringing in the ears is a thyroid symptom? All this is starting to make a lot more sense to me now. I have tinnitus in both years that sounds like a high pitched constant ring. This was one of my first symptoms of whatever it is that I have.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

Vince, do what you can to get those antibody tests. Yes tinnitus is a symptom. I don't know if it's hypo or hyper or both. I think I'm both, but it does seem to relate to my hyper symptoms more.

jb, definitely not a rock musician lol. graves - yeah. The hyper is becoming more prominent so hopefully soon. My heartrate has really been up (meds are controlling it now) so hopefully doc will decide to go ahead and get treatment in order. And to think the endo I saw said I had no thyroid disease. What a loser.

You know, I think I've been hearing this tinnitus since I was a kid. Not loud enough to notice all the time, but if I tried listening for it I could hear it. Was that normal?

Old 06-26-2004, 04:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I have had tinnitis for more years than I can remember. It started sometime during my 17 year stint at the ice cream plant I used to work at. Until I learned that I was hypo and not crazy and I started reading up on the symptoms, I assumed the tinnitis was from all the loud noise I was around at work. Well, I've been away from that place for over a year and I still have the ringing. It gets better at times but it never completely stops. I used to have a hard time going to sleep because of it. Now I think I'm so used to it that I wouldn't be able to go to sleep without the noise.
Barb

Old 06-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: Ringing in ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMomMom

You know, I think I've been hearing this tinnitus since I was a kid. Not loud enough to notice all the time, but if I tried listening for it I could hear it. Was that normal?
perhaps -- tinnitus (as you probably know, but for the benefit of those who don't) is caused by the slowing down of the movement of the tiny hairs in one's ears ... and medline says that: "Occasionally, it is a sign of high blood pressure, an allergy, or anemia." Sounds can include ringing, blowing, roaring, buzzing, clicking, and causes can include wax in the ear, infection, foreign objects ... or nothing, as i've concluded 'cuzz my friend has it and she's not hypo and has never listened to loud music ("idiopathic", i think it's called, as if any unknown symptom happens b/c we're all idiots, instead of there being a reason) ...

as usual for medline b/c it's a very conservative encyclopedia, no mention is made of hypO or hypER (phew -- just having a hot flash here), but it's definitely a symptom -- if you read the long list of about 30 symptoms that may be in the sticky: info. archive, rather than the short (about 10), you'll find it ...

one of the symptoms if hypO is hi blood pressure (mine has risen, but from as lo as 100/65 to as much as 140/90 -- and i think it's falling again with the increase (finally) in my fT4 -- yesterday at the neuro's office it was again 110/70) ...

anyhoo, what all this blather amounts to is that it's def. a symptom, and i dunno why you had yours as a child (can you say "I-dio-PATH-ic"?)...

jb

Old 06-26-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: Ringing in ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmom
I have had tinnitis for more years than I can remember. It started sometime during my 17 year stint at the ice cream plant I used to work at. Until I learned that I was hypo and not crazy and I started reading up on the symptoms, I assumed the tinnitis was from all the loud noise I was around at work. Well, I've been away from that place for over a year and I still have the ringing. It gets better at times but it never completely stops. I used to have a hard time going to sleep because of it. Now I think I'm so used to it that I wouldn't be able to go to sleep without the noise.
Barb

much of the ringing can be permanent, as yours from working in the ice cream plant is .... there's a rock star (keith what's-his-face? of the Stones? i dunno if that's the one) who has it horribly, from loudness all around him --- there was a piece in People some years ago about it, and i used to think "how awful -- to have to live with that noise!!" -- some go temporarily deaf after their shows ...

now i live with it myself and it's ghastly ... but mine came on suddenly -- first one ear, then the other -- then i had the "stroke", then became hypo ... i'm sure it's all connected ...

sometimes it's temporary -- sinus infections, allergies -- but working in an ice cream plant? i think not ...and i'm certainly glad you aren't able to go to sleep without the noise -- mine makes me crazy!!

jb

Closed Thread