It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Inactive

hypodude HB User
High TSH with Graves Disease anyone?

Anyone know if its possible to have a high TSH (15.5) and have Graves Disease? If so, is there a test that will tell me for sure it is Graves I have?

Im still struggling to find out why I have these "cycles" of hyper-like symptoms with such a high TSH...but also have Hypo symptoms as well....if you were to look at me you would say "classic hypo" - overweight, puffy face, etc... but the blood work (T3) and my hyperness seems to say different. When I get in these "Cycles" I notice I tend to speak real fast, am jittery, sweaty, hot, etc...classic hyper.

My T3 and Free T3 were just slightly Abnormally high and my T4's were low/mid-range low normal but my TSH is cranked up.

Here's my last labs as a refresher:

(Taken April 13, 2004):

Cortisol 13.3 mcg/dl Reference Range 4.3 - 22.4
Prolactin - ABNORMAL HIGH - 18.8 - Reference Range 2.1 - 17.7

TSH (3rd. Gen.) - ABNORMAL HIGH - 15.353 - Reference Range .4 - 5.5
T4 FREE - .9 NORMAL LOW - Reference Range .8 - 1.8
T3 FREE - 4.51 ABNORMAL HIGH - Reference Range 2.30 - 4.20
T3 TOTAL - 1.92 ABNORMAL HIGH - Reference Range .70 - 1.79
Thyroxine - 9.0 - NORMAL - Reference Range 4.5 - 12.0

(Taken May 7, 2004):

TSH (3rd. Gen.) - ABNORMAL HIGH - 14.641 - Reference Range .40 - 5.5
T4 FREE - NORMAL LOW - 1.0 - Reference Range .8 - 1.8
T3 FREE - NORMAL - 3.66 - Reference Range 2.30 - 4.20
T3 TOTAL - ABNORMAL HIGH - 1.96 - Reference Range .70 - 1.79
Thyroxine - NORMAL - 9.8 - Reference Range 4.5 - 12.0

Prolactin - ABNORMAL HIGH - 23.5 - Reference Range 2.1 - 17.7
Testosterone - ABNORMAL LOW - 214.22 - Reference Range 241.00 - 827.00

When I have these "cycles" my hands shake, get real dizzy, panicky, hard to focus, BP and heart rate rises....for the last 3 or 4 hours now in my "cycle" my blood pressure was 145/104 with a resting heart rate of 104 when it otherwise normal around 124/83 at 82 BPM.

Any suggesstions from the old pro's/comments. Im at my wits end with this already. I can really use some help or someone to give me some ammo to present the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User
Re: High TSH with Graves Disease anyone?

Hi Hypodude,
I don't think it's Graves, but I suppose it may be underlying. I think you should look into pituitary tumors (treatable). They can cause secondary thyroid, adrenal, etc issues. They are characterized by high prolactin and low testosterone in men. Frequently headaches are a symptom. You should also get your antibodies tested to get a complete picture, I think. Get TPO, Tg Ab, TSI, & TBII done. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 06-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

The pituitary gland regulates most (maybe all) hormones. For this reason it is called the "master gland". I agree with GracesMomMom that the possibility of a pituitary tumor should be investigated. My sister had a pit tumor and had it surgically removed through her nose....not a bad surgery, but took 4 weeks off work just in case.

My sister had MRI's and CT scans done to confirm her pit tumor. She saw a Endocrinologist, a nuero-ophthalmologist and a nuerosurgeon did the surgery.

TSI antibodies are the cause of Graves disease. TPO antibodies are the cause of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I agree you should get those checked out too.

You might want to do a google search on "Hashitoxicosis" too.

Last edited by K9Mom; 06-24-2004 at 03:36 PM.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
Inactive

hypodude HB User

I did have an MRI done and it did not show any blatant tumors but I refused the contrast injection which gives them a better look. Doc wrote in his notes that there was no obvious evidence of tumors. I saw the MRI's myself and blew them up on my PC for better contrast and I did not find anything that was obvious either, even at huge resolutions, but of course, I am not a doctor and not positive what to look for. All I had were some internet MRI's of normal Pituitary glands as a basis and mine looked just like them. The gland is pretty basic and tumors should be fairly obvious with a dark spot or mis-shapen pituitary and mine was thankfully quite symetrical and clear.

Closed Thread