It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
Inactive

hypodude HB User
Thyroid Flare up associated with Wheat Gluten Intolerance?

In my desperate search to figure out what's wrong with me I encountered some interesting things and would like to share and ask if anyone else has anything similar.

I get these "cycles" or flare ups where I go from typical mild to moderate Hypo symptoms to flat out Hyper feeling and just overall "weird".

For a long time I've been trying to tell people that whatever it is that's wrong changes with either sleep or food. I bought Blood Sugar Test Kits, etc. and everything always seemed fine with regard to food.

Yesterday, I might have put my finger on it I hope. I happened to make a big bowl of pasta salad and had some for lunch and for dinner...didn't have time to cook. About 1 or 2 hours after dinner I started getting VERY dizzy and "weird" thinking this is my normal cycle of my Thyroid going from good to bad during the course of a day.

After researching further, I found some very interesting info about antibodies that make people allergic to wheat gluten attacking the Thyroid as well. Now if that theory holds any weight, could it be possible that my thyroid which is on its way out, is being really screwed up by something as simple as a gluten allergy?

I've never been diagnosed with the allergy, but then again, I didn't even know it was as common as it is.

It seems like my "attacks" correlate very well with what I eat. High protein meals and I go for days feeling fine it seems. 1 day of pasta and I can look forward to spending the next day or two in bed with Hyper and Hypo symptoms.

Can anyone else offer any info about this subject? Anyone else have Thyroid and know Gluten Allergies? If so, what happens Thyroid-wise if you eat pasta/gluten?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
(female)

opalfire HB User
Re: Thyroid Flare up associated with Wheat Gluten Intolerance?

Hi..........here's the problem, you're having what's called an "insulin overload" from all those carbs. You eat your carbs, without protein, and in order to digest this, your body dumps a load of insulin to digest it, thinking it's got a big meal to deal with. Not so....pasta digests so quickly that now your body is left with this huge load of insulin with nothing to digest. Guess what happens? CRASH! Now you've got to get over it and with also being hypo, you're not going to do "stress" very well. Hence you end up sick for a couple of days.
I found this out long ago. We Hungarians have a favorite dish called turos teszta. It consists of nothing of noodles and cottage cheese. Cottage cheese does not have enough protein in it to make a difference and eating a plate of this dish will cause a huge crash everytime! Darn it!! I love eating this stuff......but I have to eat meat before hand to deal with it. When I do eat meat beforehand, whether it's a traditional dish of Paprika Chicken, or just a hamburger, nothing happens afterwards!
On top of that, you can have an allergy to wheat gluten, but then everything you eat with wheat gluten would cause the same reaction and you're only appearing to react to the pasta.
Good luck........Judy

Old 06-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

Food allergies are an issue that i developed along with my thyroid symptoms. And reactions to food increase my thyroid reactions. Eliminating my food allergens from my diet has not corrected my thyroid issues, unfortunately. So I think allergies are just another side effect of thyroid imbalance.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

This is interesting. I have had alot of digestive problems for the last couple of years, probably started around the time I was hypo but not treated, and has not gotten too much better even though all my numbers are normal now. I've had all the gastro tests (ugh) and nothing was found. Had gyno tests too just in case, as my problems are in the lower abdomen. Seems like if I eat too much (and too much is still way less than most people would eat), I just get so bloated in my tummy. And it persists for days. It feels like the feeling of needing to pass wind, but nothing happens. It just feels like that for days on end. I had the most delicious salad a week ago, it was light tuna mixed with snap peas. The snap peas gave it a really good taste, but for 5 days afterwards I suffered with intestinal bloat. It happened before with pasta (I've since given it up) and seems now like too many veggies do me in too. Now I wonder if this could be thyroid related. I assumed it was just menopausal changes, but I wonder....All I know is it ain't no fun and it drives my DH crazy - seems like everything he wants us to eat I tell him I can't have as it doesn't agree with me. Do you think this could be hypo related? I feel okay otherwise as far as hypo symptoms go - got my energy back, no longer cold all the time, hairloss seems to have slowed down by maybe 25%. I know my Free T4 is still not in the upper third, but have been hesitant to ask for dosage increase as I'm afraid of going hyper.

Nornie

Old 06-25-2004, 02:15 PM   #5

Aimes HB User

I get the same thing! Massive bloating whenever I eat. I'm so uncomfortable all the time. Also, I've been spitting up a lot of my food. It's like there is no room in my stomache for the food to go, so it just comes right back up. I'm not throwing up, it's more of a burping feeling. I've"burped" up twenty fluid ounces of clumpy food multiple times. I thought I was allergic to a certain food, but it seems like this happens whatever I eat. Also, I've gained 30 lbs this year and I feel like I'm barely eating. Does this sound like a thyroid problem?

Old 06-25-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

GracesMomMom HB User

It's been awhile since I've done my food allergy research so I don't know it off the top of my head, but you should do some research into Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Last I heard "they" were starting to link it to food allergies.

Old 06-26-2004, 05:31 PM   #7

Renee' HB User

Food, bowels, and thyroid ARE connected. Last year, at this very same time (May, June, July) I was flat on my back in bed. Shakes, eye problems, ringing in ears, heart palps, weak, sleepy, and MOST OF ALL HORRIBLE DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS. Painful sores in my mouth, burping & belching 24/7, no tolerance to almost anything I eat, loose bowel or constipation, on and on......this has happened to me again THIS MONTH, and it is why I'm not hardly posting on here right now. I feel so horrible, but mostly my digestion. Things I have NO PROBLEM eating in September, I can NOT eat now. This happened last year. Let's see if my blood work can tell us WHY the month of June is so bad for me:

Here is my MARCH blood work:
FT3 3.0 (2.3--4.2)
FT4 1.3 (0.8--1.8)
TSH 1.187 (.35--5.50)
PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES 173 <35
Now, at this point, my Endo was "concerned" because my antibodies were so high. Yeah, right, just wait.

Here is my MAY blood work:
FT3 3.3 (2.3--4.2)
FT4 1.2 (0.8--1.8)
TSH .141 (.35--5.50)
PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES 227 <35
by the way, I don't have any thyroglobulin ab's

Now my friends, check out my JUNE blood work:
FT3 3.0 (same as lab above)
FT4 1.1 (same as lab above)
TSH .287 (same as above)
PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES >1000 <35

For some reason, I have a really horrible hashi's flare, or attack in JUNE, and early July every year, and when I do, my digestive system goes to pieces. I have just started the SCD diet to see if I can somehow lower the madness of my antibodies here. I too, have allergies, and have tested positive for wheat, and other food allergies, but I ONLY have a problem eating 'em during these blasted hashi flares. If this diet doesn't help by next year, I'm going to force my doc to take my thyroid OUT. This is beyond madness, sigh.

Sorry for the strange post folks, but my digestive problems go hand in hand with my thyroid problems. I can take my Armour, and actually FEEL the digestive stuff back off.

I hope that you all are doing well. I've missed you all, but feel way too bad to be posting. Hopefully this too, will pass, sigh.

God bless you,
Renee'

The following user gives a hug of support to Renee':
HypoHashiGF (06-22-2011)
Old 06-27-2004, 04:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Hypodude,
My thyroid symptoms also seem to worsen with food. Each morning I feel fine and take my meds without eating. I donít eat for two hours after rising. As the day wears on my hypo symptoms become increasingly worse, especially the brain fog. Soy products really screw me up, so I try to avoid them. Oddly, on days I have a protein breakfast I feel better than when I have just oatmeal.
I will try what Judy suggested, that is making sure I eat a protein with any carb.

Old 06-27-2004, 04:44 AM   #9

lionphish HB User

What is a hashi's flare?

Old 06-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #10

Renee' HB User

What is a hash's flare? Well, go back up and look at my blood work. You can see that in June my hashi's antibodies shot way up from previous measurements of around 200, to somewhere OVER 1000. Could be 5000, could be 10,000, I don't know cause the lab stops measuring it when it is OVER 1000. So my hashimoto's is really going strong right now, and I can feel it in my body. Some folks have called this a "flare, attack, surge, etc". Then when my hashi antibodies go back down (during the end of July) my symptoms will improve. I am guessing that some folks have bad hashi flares, or attacks, etc, at any time of the year, but mine seem to be the worse every June/July.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Renee,
I had the same thing happen in June of 03 and again in May 04. It seems to come on with the onset of heat. Once it cools down in the fall I feel much better.
Last year my symptoms were so bad MD's suspected heart problems and I had a cardiac catherization. Later Hashimoto's was diagnosed. My meds were increased but were of little help. Cool weather was the only thing that helped me.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #12

Sanaa HB User

Hi Im Sanaa. I am wheat/gluten intolerant. I am also hypothyroid. I also have IBS. After 4 years of thinking 'Im never going to get better,' I can finally say there is light at the end of the tunnel. My thyroid problem, i believe, is the result of eating wheat/gluten products. Try going without there is a lot of foods available which taste really good.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User

It could be that you have a food allergy but is can also be carb overload. You ate nothing but pasta for two meals so I know this will definitely cause this feeling. There is a great book about the Glycemic Index of foods and how High GI foods will cause a rapid rise in blood sugar making you hungry and tired afterwards. This book focuses on what low & medium GI foods to eat which will stabilize your bloodsugar, which in return makes you feel better and /or lose weight. I have followed it when I can and I do have much more energy. Its worth looking into.

Last edited by Ginger9708; 06-30-2004 at 02:21 PM.

Closed Thread