It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Unhappy Swollen hands & feet

Do any of you get extremely swollen hands and feet-especially when it's hot and humid outside? I'm so tired of this. Some days like today, I can barely walk because my ankles are so stiff from the swelling. I can barely make a fist because of the swelling in my hands. I have my period now too which makes things all the worse. I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It could be a lot worse. I go for more blood work in September. I'm curious what my levels are now and I'll be in a better financial situation so maybe I can talk my doctor into doing the free's and antibodies tests. Other than this swelling and the pain I've been getting in my feet (that's from standing and walking all day on my job), I'm doing well. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
Barb

Old 08-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Re: Swollen hands & feet

Barb,
If I am outside in the heat and walking, my hands swell up so I can't remove my rings. I don't know what it is, but very annoying. My feet don't seem to have that problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Barb,
I've had this problem for the last few days. My hands and feet are very swollen. I've been sitting here trying to pry off my wedding ring(which used to be loose). Also, I've been waking up with my eyelids so swollen I can barely see. But, I guess this is all pretty normal for me considering my tsh is at 65 right now.
Do your hands tingle? My hands have been a little numb or tingly today, as well.

I hope you feel better soon! Hilery

Last edited by hilery79; 08-02-2004 at 04:57 PM.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

When it's hot and humid, I even get pitting edema on my shins. I've had that problem ever since Graves' disease - and now that I'm hypo it comes and goes, too.

Old 08-03-2004, 01:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User

Bosmom
I think we live in the same area and if we do the weather has really made my fingers and hands swell. My fingers are like 4x4's. If I go and walk just some outside they get worse.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:40 AM   #6
(female)

Leanne R HB User

Guys drink plenty of water (more than usual in hot weather at least 8 glasses) I know it sounds strange someome advising to drink water when you have swollen feet/hands etc but what your body is doing is holding onto water as it thinks it needs to, it's a built in mechanism to try and prevent you form dehydrating. If you drink plenty of water it wil let your body know that water is readily available. If you consume to much salt, this also has the same effect. When your thyroid is not working properly my understand is that potassium could be low and therefore sodium levels high unnaturally high which leads to high cholestrol. Do not lower sodium/salt levels in hot weather as this could be dangerous, get advice from a nutritionist who could help you get rid of swelling long term (there are lots of ways to do this with diet).

Leanne

Last edited by Leanne R; 08-03-2004 at 04:45 AM.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:26 AM   #7
(female)

Bier HB User

... and I thought I was the only one suffering with swollen ankles, foot pain, pithing of the calves, etc. Guess not .... I find that the swelling is worse in hot weather as well. I was away on holiday last week and one of my rings suddenly diidn't fit. It took most of the day for the ring finger to return to its normal size, thus allowing the ring to once again fit comfortably.

Swollen ankles are ugly. I have a tendency not to want to wear anything that shows off the ankles, since they rarely ressemble ankles. They look more like tree stumps and hurt until the swelling subsides. My Doctor tells me that if the swelling remains after a normal night's rest, then, one should worry. However, if the ankles return to normal after sleeping, it is thyroid related.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
(female)

Humanfemale HB User

I can sympathize....my ankles used to swell horribly - even in the slighted humidity. When I was first diagnosed with hypothyroid my TSH was 187! After taking Synthroid for about 8 months, my TSH is down to 1.4 and my ankles don't swell as much now (hardly at all), and I have found that if I keep my hands above waist level, my fingers don't swell when I take my daily walk. Yea I know, it looks goofy pumping your arms when you walk, but hey, it keeps the swelling down AND it's good for your heart!
P.S. Ask your doc for some Lasix. This helps with the swelling until your thyroid levels get back to normal.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories and suggestions with me. I don't use much table salt at all and I carry a 32oz plastic bottle full of water with me wherever I go. I fill it several times a day. I sweat a lot at work so I have to make sure that bottle is within reach at all times.
Thanks again.
Barb

Old 08-12-2004, 05:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Awww Bosmom l understand l really do have you had any strong painkillers from your doc? Mine didnt completely get rid of pain etc but it took edge off my doc thought mine was off the beta blockers and my circulation but lve had sweeling for a while now and l have been getting the pitting too esp ankles there like puddings!! SORRY DOUBLE POSTED HIT SEND BUTTON BY ACCIDENT!

Last edited by niecsey; 08-12-2004 at 05:27 AM. Reason: im hasty

Old 08-12-2004, 05:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Awww Bosmom l understand l really do have you had any strong painkillers from your doc? Mine didnt completely get rid of pain etc but it took edge off my doc thought mine was off the beta blockers and my circulation but lve had sweeling for a while now and l have been getting the pitting too esp ankles there like puddings!! good luck and take care hun xxxx ps when you get indoors put some ice in cold water and soak cloths squeeze out the excess water and drape over your swollen hands feet etc xx

Old 08-12-2004, 06:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

The last few years I swell up, hands, feet, ankles, shins, when ever I travel and have to sit for several hours at a time. As long as I was home it didn't happen. I have always had the swelling problem in the heat.

Dr. explained it this way. When I travel, I don't drink as much because of not having immediate access to a rest room so the body says to conserve what fluid I have and the kidneys just slow down.

Same thing when it's hot. The body senses a rise in temperature and signals the kidneys to slow down to preserve fluid the body needs to survive. She told me as long as the swelling goes away within 24 hours when I am out of the heat and drinking normally again, the swelling is only the amazing body protecting itself from what it senses as danger.

Sometimes it is a matter of just sitting too long on a plane or in DH big rig. Blood and fluid will pool at the lowest points during inactivity. This is one of the biggest reasons they try to get a person up and moving so much sooner after a medical procedure, so blood doesn't pool and form clots. Remember the days when you stayed in bed 10 days after any surgery or a birth. Now you have to get up after 8 hours whether you feel like it or not.

It makes sense to me, especially since the swelling does go away as she predicts it should. Hope this eases you minds.

May God Bless You
Patience 50

Old 08-12-2004, 09:55 AM   #13
(female)

ok4now HB User

Just got back from my GP....same problems with the feet, ankles, calves, hands swelling. She explained to me that some people who are hypothyroid will always have this problem. She considers anyone who has had a TT to be in that group. She did give my an Rx for Lasix and potassium. She gave me a lab sheet to go for blood work in 2 weeks to see how I am doing. She said that I may very well need to stay on this for the rest of my life, as with my Armour, but she will monitor me to check my kidneys several times a year. Over the years she said she has treated many others this way and they have had great success with the treatment.

Closed Thread