It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User
Wink Taking a KELP supplement

Hi everyone!

You all have been extremely helpful and supportive here! You are awesome

I am wondering if anyone here has tried taking KELP supplements? I have heard the lack of Iodine is one of the main causes of Hypothyroidism and taking Kelp can help improve your health. I am also wondering if taking this vitamin/supplement while taking Levothyroxine can affect the medication? Or is there even a point to taking Iodine after you already have hypo?

ALSO does anyone know of any really good books on living with Hypothyroidism??? Maybe something I can find at Chapters?

Thank you!!
Stacey

Old 08-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Taking a KELP supplement

True, hypothyroidism can be caused by an iodine deficiency. However, assuming that you do not live in a third world nation, this is very unlikely. Since the invention of iodized salt, hypothyroidism caused by an iodine deficiency is very very rare in developed nations. I have seen a few reports questioning that perhaps vegetarians (more likely, vegans) could have low levels of iodine, but I think that it is still an infrequent occurrence. If hypothyroidism is caused by iodine deficiency, however, I believe that taking iodine supplements does reverse the condition. But if your hypothyroid is not caused by iodine deficiency, I don't think that taking extra iodine will help (but I'm not sure).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you have Hashimoto's disease, the most common cause of hypoT, extra iodine will most likely make you feel much worse. There is some thought today that it may actually be excess iodine that triggers this autoimmune response to the thyroid gland.
As kehorner says, there is no shortage of iodine in the US, Canada, and the rest of the First-World countries.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

Leanne R HB User

iodine and L-tyrosine and selenium are part of the thyroid production system.
Selenium is good for helping to lower autoimmune response that attacks thyroid.
The problem is this: If you take these vitamins you are increasing/changing the production of thyroxine.

So they advise not to to this unless under supervision.

I personally think selenium 200ug shouldn't affect the thyroid medication and is helpful lowering the antibodies, please do your own reading on this and get advice first!
I have high antibodies to the thyroid gland, I was feeling really rotten but feel ok at present. I am waiting to see a dr who has a natural approach to thyroid treatment.

I am taking chromium, selenium a good multi vit and mineral and L-tyrosine. I didn't want to mess with the iodine yet as a supplement however i do eat japanese seaweed wich has lots of iodine. I cut out refined sugar, gluten and dairy.

I have to say I am suffering from no thyroid symptoms at present but my TSH levels were always in the normal range (on the low side) so was never in real danger.

Good luck

Leanne

Old 08-03-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
(female)

BonBe HB User
Lightbulb Re: Taking a KELP supplement

I have a question which either I am too thick headed to understand when I researched, so am hoping you guys (Midwest etc?) can help.

I do not have Hashi, but have hypothyroidism. Dx's 1996 thereabouts been on meds since. I also long ago (well before the hypo) stopped using added table salt (iodized) in favour of 'kosher salt' which has no additives. I much prefer the taste of it, to iodized salt. Do not eat tons of fish either, but enjoy 'seafood' shrimp, mussels, lobster (when I am RICH) haha which is hardly ever mind you.

So in foods prepared and in store bought preparations, containing salt, since I do not take in iodized salt in my daily diet (I cook with kosher as well) like in Pasta etc....

So am I perhaps deficient in iodine? (doubt it) but it has never been clarified. People sometimes throw up their hands in horror when I say I abandoned table salt in favour of the Kosher salt. The pharmacist I ask questions of, just advises me to not take a supplement that contains soy or iodine (they all perhaps assume we all use table salt) what of people that are on a 'salt restricted diet, and use a sodium supplement, are they too in this puzzle of iodine or not iodine. It used to be said the areas around the "great lakes" it being called the "goiter belt' well that is quite a few of us, and if we do not enjoy the "FRESH FROZEN ocean fishys hmmmm

Just a thought guys...hope you can answer in Bonnie lingo (having a thick moment recently)

Bonnie Lea

Old 08-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

The recommended daily allowance for iodine is 150 mcg per day. If you eat any prepackaged foods, fast food, dairy or bread then you are most likely getting MORE iodine than the 150 mcg per day.

For those of us with autoimmune thyroid disease, I've seen it recommended that we try to ingest only 75 mcg of iodine per day.

Here's a list of iodine content in foods: [url]http://www.foodcomp.dk/fcdb_foodcomplist.asp?CompId=0066[/url]

Old 08-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

That's quite a list! Another way to see the foods that contain iodine would be to search the internet for "low iodine diet." Any foods that you should avoid on a low iodine diet are those that contain iodine, so that might help.

You have to remember that iodine does not automatically equal salt. Iodine is also found in dairy products (for some reason which still escapes scientists...), they use iodine-based ingredients in breads to get them to rise, and even some red food colorings are iodine-based. There are lots of sources of iodine besides iodized salt, and salt which has not been iodized doesn't contain iodine.

Certainly fish and iodized salt are major sources of iodine, but there are many others!

Closed Thread