It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

imoutrunning HB User
Question Question - TSH Down to 1.53

After 6 weeks on 75 mcg Synthroid, my TSH has dropped down to 1.53. My doctor and I had discussed a target range of .8 to 1.5 for me. This is pretty much there. So, there is no chance of her increasing my dosage at this point. I actually feel pretty good, far better than I have in ages.

My question is this: Should I expect continued improvement on 75mcg? I've heard some people say that even when your test shows you're around the right level, that improvements continue for a while after then 6 weeks. I hope this is true!!! I'm wondering what other's experience with this is. I have a marathon to run in October, my first - I am still hoping for my speed to improve and get back to the way it used to be (medicore instead of snail's pace, LOL).

TIA

Glynis

Old 08-04-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Question - TSH Down to 1.53

As long as 75 mcg is the right dose for you, you may continue to improve as the damage that had occurred to your cells during the time you were hypo heals itself in the presence of optimal thyroid hormone levels. This healing doesn't really happen until your thyroid hormone levels become optimal for your needs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
As long as 75 mcg is the right dose for you, you may continue to improve as the damage that had occurred to your cells during the time you were hypo heals itself in the presence of optimal thyroid hormone levels. This healing doesn't really happen until your thyroid hormone levels become optimal for your needs.
With that in mind, how does one know when thyroid hormone levels become optimal for one's needs? Is there a possiblity that my TSH will drop still further. (I remember being very comfortable after going through anti-thyroid treatment and having my TSH be between .8 and 1.2... it is my hope that I'll get there, that this dosage will still have an effect, because I doubt this doctor will go further than what we initially agreed on).

Glynis

Old 08-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

From everything I've read, you can only know what's optimal for you once you achieve it. When you get to the point where you feel 100% as well as you did before thyroid trouble reared its ugly head. It would be useful to have bloodwork done then... to see where the free hormones are, and not to let them deviate from that level again by adjusting med as needed. (In the real world, though, insurances would probably balk at paying for tests on a well person.)

Keep in mind that TSH means nothing once you're in treatment. TSH itself causes no symptoms. If you have little natural thyroid function left, TSH doesn't even fulfill its sole purpose any longer, which is to spur the thyroid into action.
It's the free thyroid hormones themselves - FT4 and FT3 - that contribute to cell function and the sense of total wellness. A doctor who treats by simply adjusting TSH isn't doing it the right way.
If you feel well, that's the most important thing. It must mean your free hormones are close to optimal. If they are, your cells will continue to recover. If you don't continue to feel improvement, it must mean the FTs need to be a little higher.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

Well, one thing I've been using as a gauge is my running pace - it has improved, but it is not back to where it was before. However, I've been definitely stressing my whole adrenal system by still working out for the same distances, etc, while hypo -- I really have been pushing myself, regardless of how much like crap I felt--- so I could be suffering from adrenal fatigue, which would definitely slow my progress toward health (and the return my normal running speed).

I also have worked out so hard and haven't lost more than 2 - 3 lbs, in spite of running 300 miles and biking 600 miles since June 1st.

I guess I'll just be finding this out as I go.

Closed Thread