It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2004, 07:29 PM   #1

hornman HB User
TSH of 11? What Does It Mean?

I had a blood test at a local health fair. It indicated that I have a TSH of 11, but I feel pretty much the same as I always have. I have been drinking soy milk lately, but not excessively. I wonder if 2 to 3 cups of soymilk a day would make a difference in TSH?

Is a TSH of 11 (though, above normal) really a high number? Unfortunately, the blood test (made by a local hospital) does not show T3 and T4, which would probably help with understanding. It's just confusing since my doctor has never indicated any problems with my blood tests which I have every two years.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-15-2004, 12:26 AM   #2
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User
Re: TSH of 11? What Does It Mean?

Hi there.
I also was diagnosed hypo with a TSH of 11.93
I did just start reading a book called "Thyroid for Dummies" and if I'm not mistaken I thought I read somewhere in there that SOY is actually a food that does not help with hypothyroidism.. also listed broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc. I could be mistaken but I thought SOY was one of the foods to avoid.

Either way, if you had a blood test with a TSH of 11 that indicates there's definitely something going on. You should go back for blood work and have your TSH taken again, as well as T4, free T3, TSH total, etc... This will give a much clearer idea as to what is going on with your thyroid.
Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: TSH of 11? What Does It Mean?

I think Stacey is absolutely correct. If you had a test that showed your TSH at an 11, you should go to your doctor and have a full thyroid panel done, including Free T3 & Free T4 tests.

If you have experienced any symptoms such as being cold, muscle cramps, weight gain, mental fog, hair falling out, dry skin, feeling or looking puffy, you may very well have a thyroid imbalance.

Even if you do feel fine, it's important to have the test run and be treated if you do in fact have hypothyroidism as it can lead to advanced osteoperosis.

Closed Thread