It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #1

josiefar HB User
Unhappy Headache & Nausea from Armour Thyroid

Just started taking Armour today. Took half of 30 mg in a.m. and other half early afternoon and headache and nausea started about 4 hours after 2nd dose. I believe these are symptoms of overstimulation.

My doctor started me on 0.025 of Synthroid last month and I had the same reaction so I stopped taking it. We thought it might be allergic reaction to the Synthroid so she started me on the Armour today.

I will call her tomorrow, but I'm so upset about this I wanted to see if anyone has ever gone through this or has some idea of what's going on.

Latest Labs
TSH 2.70 (Range 0.40-5.50)
Free T4 1.0 (Range 0.8-1.8)
Free T3 290 (Range 230-420)

At first she thought of putting me on just T3, but decided to try Armour instead. Do you think I don't need T4 and should just be taking T3?

She also wants me to start taking Pregnenalone because following hormones are very low like those of a post-menopausal woman (I'm only 43 years old and have not gone through menopause yet):

Progesterone 0.6 (Range 3.2-28.6)
Estradiol 12 (Range 20-150)
Total Testosterone 11 (Range 15-70)

Sorry this is so long. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Re: Headache & Nausea from Armour Thyroid

Can't help, sorry, but please keep us posted.

I've been thinking of asking to try Armour, afraid I'd be allergic. I think the Synthroid has some fillers that might not agree with you. I'm diabetic and noticed it has some powdered sugar, and other things I forget. Levothroid has been better, for me, for years, but I may be having a conversion problem.

Editing to add that a very long letter to Oprah at another forum says Armour is the only med that has all 5 of the hormones our thyroids are supposed to secrete, T0, T1, T2, T3, T4, T5. Those are all news to me, just finished reading it.

Last edited by Eagle; 08-17-2004 at 08:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 09:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Latest Labs
TSH 2.70 (Range 0.40-5.50)
Free T4 1.0 (Range 0.8-1.8)
Free T3 290 (Range 230-420)

Your labs suggest you need both T4 and T3. Both levels are well below the middle of the range, indicating you need more of each.

Your apparent hypersensitivity to thyroid meds leads me to believe you might have some degree of adrenal stress. I admit to not knowing much about the condition, even though as of last week I began treatment for it myself.

All of the thyroid meds' prescribing information say that thyroid med shouldn't be given if adrenal function isn't up to par. You could say that taking thyroid med when the adrenals are weak is like flooring the gas pedal while stepping on the brakes at the same time. Suggest to your doctor that she test your cortisol levels.

Old 08-18-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Eagle,
Westhroid and Nature throid, also have all the T's in them. Nature Throid is hypo allergenic for people with sensitivities to the binders or fillers in Armour or Westhroid. Armour is just more well known.

josiefar,
I agree with Midwest, get your adrenals checked out.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:59 AM   #5

josiefar HB User

Thanks to everyone who responded.

My doctor (DO) does thinks the problem lies with my adrenals and my cortisol has been tested and it's on the low side (I don' have nos.). I've tried adrenal homeopathic remedies and they made me a little jittery. She hasn't prescribed Cortisol because she thought I would have the same reaction.

I haven't spoken to my doctor yet, but I'm assuming she will still want me to start the Pregnenolone supplement tomorrow. I forgot to mention I'm low on that too. Pregnenolone is the "mother" of all hormones from which all other hormones are created.

After I posted last night I read about a case in "The Mood Cure" of a woman with low adrenals who was one of the most exhausted patients her doctor was treating. She did not respond to any treatment given including thyroid med. When they tested her Pregnenolone, it was very low. Her doctor told her to take a Pregnenlone supplement and all of her symptoms resolved.

Thanks again. When I get more info I'll post again.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your doctor sounds like a true gem.... Not many would go the extra mile to test all the hormones the way she has for you.
Let us know how the pregnenlone treatment works out!

Closed Thread