It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Question How to present your case to your doctor

Can you give me some input as to the best way to present my case to my endo on my first appointment?

Should I come right out and say "I think I'm Hypo"?

Is it best to give a list of physical symptoms before the others? All the GP's I've talked to have basically tuned out once they hear the words "sad, moody, overwhelmed, panic attack" and reached for their script pad to give me anti-drepressants

Should I take all the research I have (new guidelines in the US from AACE)?

I don't want to say / do the wrong thing - I want this part to be over, I'm ready to be treated, yah know?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Nat

Old 08-18-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
(female)

mymission HB User
Re: How to present your case to your doctor

Absolutely! I marched right into my doctors office after being deathly tired and ill and told them I wanted the works. I wanted my blood checked for everything and urine as well.

Since you have been reading this board, chances are you will know more about thyroid disorder than your doctor will.

You should print out the post by Treefrog about "Information Archive". Then you will be locked n loaded heh heh.

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: How to present your case to your doctor

Docs don't usually take notice of things off the internet except for maybe documentation from a .org or .edu website. Your best thing IMHO is to list all your signs and symptoms on a piece of paper. Make certain that you list the physical stuff first with emphasis on that. Then list your psychological symptoms as secondary. If you do it this way, the doctor is less likely to put everything off as stress/anxiety/depression. Present that to him/her. Discuss everything with your doctor but don't fall into the psychological questioning ie. "How's work going? How's the family?" If you say something like "I've been working a lot of overtime and my husband isn't happy about that.", I almost guarantee he/she will say "Stress/anxiety. Take this pill and come back in six months."
Don't say you think you're hypo because the doc will most likely write you off as a self diagnosing hypochondriac.
Take all the reasearch you have and present it to him/her. Ask the doctor's opinion about FREE t4 and FREE t3 tests. You'll find out all you need to know about the doctor's viewpoint and if he/she will be willing/able to help you.
Good luck!
Barb

Closed Thread