It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 08:08 AM   #1

bubblebug64 HB User
Question Is this number possible?

Okay guys,
I finally got the lab results back... of course the MD only did the TSH.... but the nurse said this morning it was .17. Is this good/bad... and why do i feel so incredibly bad all the time. I know that everyone has been talking about the free numbers..... and when i go back in 2 months will insist on getting them done as well. Right now he is keeping me on 200mcg of Synthroid. I also notice a "pressure" in my throat. He said that there was some enlargement/swelling, but nothing to worry about. I had a partial ********ctomy 4 years ago and they paralyzed some of the vocal chords... personally, i now feel like i sound like minnie mouse on helium. And have always had some difficulty swallowing liquids, Apparently, they have started to spasm... making the choking happen more frequently. I love my doctor... and he helped a lot when i was first having problems, but ... how do i ask for a referral to an endo. He is very set on the TSH as the number to watch.
And I don't want to keep feeling this badly. Help!!!

Old 08-18-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: Is this number possible?

You need a new dr. TSH is only a pituitary response and can be a very very poor indicator of actual thyroid function. .17 is not a bad number, last time I had mine checked I think it was .18 and it was .04 previously to that, .04 looks rather hyper, but my FREE levels were NOT hyper.
Please find a dr that doesn't go only by TSH, you will not feel well if your Free levels are not in the upper 1/3 of the lab range regardless of where the TSH is.

Keep us posted

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 09:58 AM   #3

bubblebug64 HB User

Thanks... am going to look into another Dr. Hate it that he just looks at the labs and not how i feel... because is most definitely do NOT feel hyper.
Thanks for all the advice.. and support

Old 08-19-2004, 07:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi Bubblebug,

You don't mention if you Dr. is an MD or a DO. I, as others on the boards have found, Osteopaths tend to treat symptoms, not just lab # and they often seem to listen to you more.

Have you ever had anything other than thyroid checked? Perhaps your Dr. would run antibody tests that would tell more of the story. I am discovering that many people have autoimmune things going on and it is never found until critical conditions are reached. Many of these autoimmune things have the same symptoms of thyroid problems and it is difficult to tell the difference unless one looks.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. May God Bless You
Patience 50

Old 08-19-2004, 04:49 PM   #5

bubblebug64 HB User

Hi patience,
My doctor is an MD. And goes by the old TSH school of thought. I have not had any autoimmune things checked, but thanks for the tip. I will have anything checked, if it will help.
Thanks for the well wishes... and God Bless you too!!!

Closed Thread