It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #1

tysmom1122 HB User
Question New Here.. Blood results Please help!!

Hi there. I was called into the drs office and recieved these results can someone please tell me what to do?!!?Dr gave me Synthroid .50mcg.

Mine (Normal)
Thyroxine 17.5 (4.5-12.5)
Thyroxine Free 1.0 (0.8-1.9)
T3 Total 327 (72-170)
T3 Uptake 24 (24-35)
Free T4 Index 4.0 (1.1-4.6)
TSH Sensitive 4.00 (0.40-4.00)

Any info you can give me is appreciated. I am very tired,irritable,cycle is only 3-4 times a year,palpitations,rapid heart beat,OVERWEIGHT can not lose it. Gained like 25 pounds this year. Thanks alot for any help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 02:26 PM   #2

Galileo4771 HB User
Re: New Here.. Blood results Please help!!

First of all -- don't panic. Second, find an Endocrinologist. That's a doctor that specializes in disorders of the glands like diabitis and thyroid disorders. I had my general physician monitoring me for years and I felt sick and tired all the time and was extremely overweight. When I changed doctors, my new doctor advised me to go to an Endocrinologist. That was the best think I've ever done in my life! I actually feel like a normal person!

If there's one thing this has taught me, it's that you don't have to feel sick all the time. If you don't feel right and your doctor can't "fix it." Find another doctor who can!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: New Here.. Blood results Please help!!

Not all of us have had good experiences with endos. They're frequently overly focused on treating diabetes and have little interest in hypoT. The one I saw only prescribed Synthroid, which I couldn't take; therefore she had little else in the way of help to offer me. "Wait and see" is all she could say. Not a chance. I saw a homeopathic MD within that month, started Armour, and am receiving competent treatment.

Whatever kind of doctor you saw is very astute in thyroid matters. I say that because your test results are all still in the "normal" range, where the vast majority of doctors refuse to treat.

Your best bet for the long term is to learn as much about hypothyroidism as your brain can hold. Start reading.
A good beginner book is Thyroid For Dummies, by Dr. Alan Rubin.
You'll also learn a lot by reading our "Information Archive" sticky thread at the top of the subject list.

If you need more specific information, just ask. Welcome to the board!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:25 PM   #4

tysmom1122 HB User
Unhappy Re: New Here.. Blood results Please help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
Not all of us have had good experiences with endos. They're frequently overly focused on treating diabetes and have little interest in hypoT. The one I saw only prescribed Synthroid, which I couldn't take; therefore she had little else in the way of help to offer me. "Wait and see" is all she could say. Not a chance. I saw a homeopathic MD within that month, started Armour, and am receiving competent treatment.

Whatever kind of doctor you saw is very astute in thyroid matters. I say that because your test results are all still in the "normal" range, where the vast majority of doctors refuse to treat.

Your best bet for the long term is to learn as much about hypothyroidism as your brain can hold. Start reading.
A good beginner book is Thyroid For Dummies, by Dr. Alan Rubin.
You'll also learn a lot by reading our "Information Archive" sticky thread at the top of the subject list.

If you need more specific information, just ask. Welcome to the board!
Thanks for your help please if anyone else can offer any info please do... I noticed now being on the meds about 2 weeks I am gaining weight and swelling.... Also you say my results are in the NORMAL range??? How is it that my Thyroxine is 17.5 and the range is T3 is 3 (4.5-12.5) so that makes that elevated and my T3 total is 327 with the normal range (72-170) so that makes that awfully high. If I am confuzed please tell me . Like I said this is all new to me and I am praying something can help me.

Closed Thread